Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2019, 03:01 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Illinois
THOR #1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
Just to clarify, on my 2013 ACE 30.1, I also have the same two low point pull drains on either side of the water pump......and they are low point drains. If one of these drains is frozen shut then pumping pink antifreeze into your lines through the water pump will replace the water in the line and force it out through faucets etc during the normal Winterization process. A simple plumbing diagram is attached.
Don't forget to close the input valve and exit valve on the water heater. then open the bypass valve on the water heater. This way no antifreeze will get onto the water heater.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:22 AM   #22

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Quote:
Originally Posted by richwindsport View Post
Don't forget to close the input valve and exit valve on the water heater. then open the bypass valve on the water heater. This way no antifreeze will get onto the water heater.

Thanks! Step 1 for winterizing is opening the WH bypass and step 2 is draining the WH. Step 3 is opening the low point drains and that is when the obstinate pop up valve was noted. Pumped in 1 1/2 gallons of anti freeze to complete the task. I felt reasonably sure that pumping anti freeze would displace any water but there was the little feeling of uncertainty about the stuck valve. The story ends well, Priscilla is securely winterized, the recalcitrant valve is now lubed up and working, God’s in His heaven, and all’s right with the world ... mostly.
Old 11-12-2023, 11:55 PM   #23

State: Virginia
THOR #27982
Low point drain valves

Both of ours leak, any idea where we can find replacements?
Old 11-13-2023, 12:11 AM   #24
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMiike View Post
Any RV dealer will have the valves in their parts department or you can get them from Amazon.
Old 11-13-2023, 12:15 AM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMiike View Post
Amazon may have them as well.

Or you can just put adapters on the tail pieces and use a screw-on cap
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 12:26 AM   #26

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I located the blue and red pex under our motorhome where it exits through the floor. The stubs were long enough to install quarter turn plastic valves on the end of the pex.

The original valves were very similar to those flimsy pull-ring valves, but mine have a T-handle. Now I just leave them open and use the quarter turn valves.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:21 PM   #27

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
My FT A27 has no low point drains. Looked all over for them in December 2019. Logged into Thor schematics. Yep, no low point drain. However, I did figure out that the outdoor shower faucets were the low water point. Although I blow lines out with 40 psi air pressure I do open each of these last. Maybe yours doesn’t have the official low point drains.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:32 PM   #28

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
My opinion based on my experience is that the pop up valves are trouble prone. Any debris from any source in your water can cause a build up that can cause leaks. If the spring is weak, that can cause leaks.

Spend the effort to replace them a good ball valve and you will be happy longer!!! We used Sharkbite Ball-valves valves and extended our line with PEX as needed to re=locate the valves.. They were a little difficult to install. But now our leaking valve troubles are over for a long time......maybe forever.
Old 11-13-2023, 02:55 PM   #29

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrirn View Post
Our 2013 Thor A.C.E. 29.2 has 2 low point drains, one on the input side of the water pump, the other in the output side. The output side drain refuse to pop up regardless of the effort. Last winter, I chose not to deal with it as I reasoned that pumping antifreeze through the system would displace any residual water. I know that replacing the little pop up valve is the ultimate resolution but it’s hard enough to reach just to get a hand on tucked away behind the WP. I’ve sprayed a little PB Blaster on the thing but worry about degrading the nylon or plastic. Thoughts? Suggestion?
These valves are also affected by cold. If you wait until it is 40 degrees outside before you try to drain the system, the valves will be much harder to pull.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote