Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2023, 11:29 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 33.6
State: Oregon
THOR #26218
Manually shift gears

Sorry, dumb question, but Im new to motorhomes. How do you manually shift gears in a 2023 Thor Palazzo 33.6. I will go out later today to practice.

I will be driving down the grapevine in CA in a few days, using the diesel exhaust brake, but want to downshift one gear before descending.

Old 10-07-2023, 12:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Sorry, dumb question, but Im new to motorhomes. How do you manually shift gears in a 2023 Thor Palazzo 33.6. I will go out later today to practice.

I will be driving down the grapevine in CA in a few days, using the diesel exhaust brake, but want to downshift one gear before descending.
It depends on which shifter you have for the Allison transmission .

In my coach while in drive press the down arrow until the desired gear is in the display.

The owners manual is a good read to explore the controls on the shifter.
Old 10-07-2023, 09:07 PM   #3

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Much of what's in RV manuals is generic and some can be irrelevant. Like he said, read then drive, not the other way around.
Old 10-17-2023, 10:25 PM   #4

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post

we have 2021 Aria: ours we push the right control down to downshift. In my experience with ours I don't downshift but engage the exhaust brake just prior to the Grapevine downgrade and let Allison figure it out with periodic application of the brakes.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 11:38 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Much of what's in RV manuals is generic and some can be irrelevant. Like he said, read then drive, not the other way around.

Owners manual as in Allison transmission manual, not some RV manual.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 04:02 PM   #6

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
The electronic communication between today's engines and transmissions, combined with the input of driving conditions, is far above the old manual selecting gears of old. I would just drive it and let that stuff dance together in harmony.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 05:26 PM   #7

Model: Mandalay 40E
State: Ohio
THOR #26962
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The electronic communication between today's engines and transmissions, combined with the input of driving conditions, is far above the old manual selecting gears of old. I would just drive it and let that stuff dance together in harmony.
The “Fatal Flaw” in this approach is that no matter how good the electronics may be, they cannot ANTICIPATE anything. They can only react to something that has already happened. And many times, that is too late for optimum performance.

When driving the interstates, I always manually shift down to fifth as I enter the bottom of a big grade, before the speed slackens. That gets the RPM up to the horsepower peak, which in the Cummins ISL is 2,000 to 2,100 RPM. The engine stays cooler and the performance is better. If I wait for the transmission to downshift by itself, the speed will already have dropped about 5 mph and the RPM at the downshift will only be about 1,800…behind the power curve.

These vehicles are not cars. You cannot just put them in “D” and let the vehicle make all the driving decisions for you.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:23 PM   #8

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Driver View Post
The “Fatal Flaw” in this approach is that no matter how good the electronics may be, they cannot ANTICIPATE anything. They can only react to something that has already happened. And many times, that is too late for optimum performance.

When driving the interstates, I always manually shift down to fifth as I enter the bottom of a big grade, before the speed slackens. That gets the RPM up to the horsepower peak, which in the Cummins ISL is 2,000 to 2,100 RPM. The engine stays cooler and the performance is better. If I wait for the transmission to downshift by itself, the speed will already have dropped about 5 mph and the RPM at the downshift will only be about 1,800…behind the power curve.

These vehicles are not cars. You cannot just put them in “D” and let the vehicle make all the driving decisions for you.
So enlightening! I've seen the changes in commercial truck over the past 50 years. I even remember driving a "double stick R Model Mack". Some like to shift and play trucker. I wouldn't buy an underpowered anything that required me to go through so much drama and anticipation just to get up the next hill. BTW...these vehicles are just like cars today...just put them in "D" and they will do exactly what they're designed to do...if the are designed correctly...which most motorhomes are not.
Old 10-18-2023, 07:05 PM   #9

Model: Mandalay 40E
State: Ohio
THOR #26962
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
...BTW...these vehicles are just like cars today...just put them in "D" and they will do exactly what they're designed to do...if the are designed correctly...which most motorhomes are not.
No, these vehicles are not like cars.

You can just leave it in "D" and zone out if you want to, but that is not the best way to drive a large, heavy, ponderous vehicle like a motor home.
Old 10-18-2023, 07:17 PM   #10

THOR #11130
Next time around get the correct power to weight ratio. "Zoning Out" is quite comfortable. Fighting an underpowered anything is not my cup of tea...especially if it's a "recreational" one.