Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-12-2022, 03:26 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
So, a Sprinter chassis with a Ford 7.3 V8...sounds like a good plan. I'll call Mercedes tomorrow.
It would be a good plan. I wouldn’t doubt that Mercedes is considering something similar.

David

Old 11-12-2022, 10:40 AM   #22

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
If you have ever have been to Europe, there are a heck of a lot of little cars and trucks that are diesels.

While I get the point that 18-wheelers, locomotives and chips are big heavy vehicles compared to a small class C coach, any motorhome (other than a Class B van), is not very aerodynamic compared to a car or pickup truck.

There is a lot of drag created by the motorhome, especially factoring in a headwind. A diesel is still going to perform better than most gassers; especially when towing.

Now I will concede to David's point about the 7.3L. I haven't driven one so I have no reference point. Reports do seem to be very positive about it.

I do know that I would never go back to an E-series chassis motorhome after owning one and then moving to a coach on the F-550..... so I'm with Gritz and I would go Sprinter if I downsize.

Ford doesn't offer the 7.3L in the Transit and you're not going to convince me the Ford V6 is going to outperform the Mercedes diesel so a small coach on the Transit is off the table for me.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:46 AM   #23

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Although I don't own a diesel, the above articles jive with what I've been told over the years by people that do; including my BIL and FIL.

I've owned three diesel's now and I can say they have not cost me more in general repairs than any of my gassers.

Oil changes are typically more because the pans hold more oil but I do my own changes so the cost increase is minimal to me.

I was on the road for 2-months and over 5000 miles in my Magnitude and only used one tank of DEF from start to finish. I've also gone several months and several thousand miles in my GMC Sierra without adding DEF. In the end DEF is a non-issue with the latest diesel engines from my perspective.

Heck.... I use more windshield washer fluid than DEF and that isn't cheap anymore thanks to inflation. I paid as much for a gallon of washer fluid at a truck stop in Utah than I did for the a gallon of DEF at Wal-Mart.
Old 11-12-2022, 02:17 PM   #24

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Ford doesn't offer the 7.3L in the Transit and you're not going to convince me the Ford V6 is going to outperform the Mercedes diesel so a small coach on the Transit is off the table for me.
That I can agree!

The Transit with the small V6 gasser was built as a city delivery/service van, not a long distance MH going up mountain passes pulling a Toad.

I can’t see that kind of use lasting 100,000 miles on the V6.

David
Old 11-12-2022, 02:53 PM   #25

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130

You understand we are talking about smaller trucks and RVs here?
Not Ships
Not Locomotives
Not Tractor Trailers
Not Class A DPs

Actually, we were talking about a recall on the Sprinter chassis. Classic case of derailment (the train takes a dirt road). Then someone comes along and challenges why we're "hung up" on diesel as gas powered is so much better and cheaper. Then someone comes along talking about economics of gas vs. diesel....and now I'm blasted for posting "off subject" posts. Really.....classic case of..."I'm their leader...did anyone see which way they went?".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 07:55 PM   #26

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Sprinter Mercedes Benz

I had a Sprinter MB Thor Synergy bought new in 2017. Loved it. Best driving and handeling RV I've ever known. Sold it because I wanted more space. It was me and wifey and 4 small dogs and it was crowded then got worse when my son wanted to tag along. I miss that RV terribly. It fit in my driveway and I did not have to pay storage for the winter because the town allowed it in my driveway because they determined it was an occasional driver.

We bought a Thor Tuscany with 4 slides and it's huge with tons of space. Since then 3 of our 4 furry kids have passed away and took most of my heart with them. So now we have lots of room in the RV and in my heart. (such a void)

Anyway the point being the Sprinter had several recalls. Even long after I sold it I would get notices for one thing or another that needed to go in for correction or replacement. My opinion? Put your money down and wait it out. You might be able to make a super deal since you can't take delivery now and you will never find any RV that drives better, except maybe a brand new $500,000 diesel rig.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:20 PM   #27

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
Quote:
If anyone that reads this has a Sprinter chassis, please post what you find out about this and if you receive a recall notice.
Our RV is on a 2019 Sprinter Chassis and we have not received a recall notice. Apparently it is for 2019-2022 year vehicles. See here for one link about it.

Our previous RV was on a Ford Transit chassis and we never had a recall. Including this one (if we get the recall notice) that will make 5 recalls for our Sprinter over the last 18 months or so. So much for the idea of "German engineering".
Old 11-16-2022, 08:40 PM   #28

Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
Quote:
I've owned three diesel's now and I can say they have not cost me more in general repairs than any of my gassers.

Oil changes are typically more because the pans hold more oil but I do my own changes so the cost increase is minimal to me.

I was on the road for 2-months and over 5000 miles in my Magnitude and only used one tank of DEF from start to finish. I've also gone several months and several thousand miles in my GMC Sierra without adding DEF. In the end DEF is a non-issue with the latest diesel engines from my perspective.

Heck.... I use more windshield washer fluid than DEF and that isn't cheap anymore thanks to inflation. I paid as much for a gallon of washer fluid at a truck stop in Utah than I did for the a gallon of DEF at Wal-Mart.
We have a small (25 foot) B+/C on the Sprinter chassis with the MB diesel and I don't think it costs more to run than the gas version. I figure that I get somewhere between 33% and 50% better fuel economy with the diesel (16 - 18 mpg not towing, 14-16 towing a Jeep) over gas, and diesel is not that much more than gas so I figure it is saving me money for fuel. Before the last election diesel here was less expensive than gas as well.

A tank of DEF probably would last me 5000 miles, but I add another 2.5 gallon container when it drops below 1/2 tank. The last DEF refill from WalMart cost me about $8.00, so it is not a big expensive, even though it is much higher than a couple of years ago.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:48 PM   #29

THOR #11130
All good info...and...as I've stated, it isn't about cost or milage that matters to me...its about the added torque and raw pulling power of the diesel. I grew up drinking this stuff for breakfast. Diesel is in my blood...it settles my stomach and calms my nerves...gas gives me gas.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:41 AM   #30
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
We have a small (25 foot) B+/C on the Sprinter chassis with the MB diesel and I don't think it costs more to run than the gas version. I figure that I get somewhere between 33% and 50% better fuel economy with the diesel (16 - 18 mpg not towing, 14-16 towing a Jeep) over gas, and diesel is not that much more than gas so I figure it is saving me money for fuel. Before the last election diesel here was less expensive than gas as well.

A tank of DEF probably would last me 5000 miles, but I add another 2.5 gallon container when it drops below 1/2 tank. The last DEF refill from WalMart cost me about $8.00, so it is not a big expensive, even though it is much higher than a couple of years ago.
Using our local MurphyExpress prices:
Attached Images

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:30 AM   #31

Model: FreedomElite 24FE
State: Colorado
THOR #17183
Quote:
Fresh off the press....I've been working with a local dealer on a possible purchase of a Tiburon. Just got a call this morning from the dealership advising all Sprinters have been immediately recalled due to a "park engage" issue. Apparently there is a button you press on the shifter that places the transmission into "park". There have been a number of cases where this didn't work...drivers get out of the vehicle and it rolls off. He said it was mostly Amazon drivers just in a hurry and not making sure the engagement takes place...but...they can't sell any Sprinter coaches until a repair has been made, which will not be until early spring 2023. He said this applies to ALL Sprinters. They have 17 Sprinter coaches in inventory. I guess this is my answer. My wife wonders why men can't ever be happy with what they've got...I'm happy now! If anyone that reads this has a Sprinter chassis, please post what you find out about this and if you receive a recall notice.
Did we lose sight of the original point of this post?? What year Sprinter Van? I’m assuming 2019+? My 2018 still has a shifter lever so I’m thinking this doesn’t apply to me?
Old 11-17-2022, 01:45 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Don,
What year Sprinters are we talking about?
Once we cut away all of the bullshit that got pumped into the conversation?
My 2019 Sprinter engages Park just like my Dad's 1965 Chrysler Imperial Crown...
Happy hunting!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 11:31 PM   #33

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Don,
What year Sprinters are we talking about?
Once we cut away all of the bullshit that got pumped into the conversation?
My 2019 Sprinter engages Park just like my Dad's 1965 Chrysler Imperial Crown...
Happy hunting!
Yep...this got side-railed quickly. My local dealer has 2022 and 2023 models. He was gonna quote on both, then called and said everything had been grounded and locked down from sales until they figure this out. He said probably early spring before they would know anything regarding a fix.
Old 11-18-2022, 12:49 AM   #34

Model: FreedomElite 24FE
State: Colorado
THOR #17183
Quote:
Yep...this got side-railed quickly. My local dealer has 2022 and 2023 models. He was gonna quote on both, then called and said everything had been grounded and locked down from sales until they figure this out. He said probably early spring before they would know anything regarding a fix.
Wow! That’s crazy. I’ll hang on to my 2018 Sprinter Chassis!
Old 11-27-2022, 01:35 AM   #35

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Toying with the idea...not sure we can live in smaller spaces. Seems the Super C just gets bigger and bigger in the inside the longer we travel...I start thinking we could live in it. Smaller and more maneuverable is a plus.
Every time I look to go smaller I just can't at this point. Especially with 2 retrievers and visitors. I then end up looking to go to a pusher. Will stick with our 3401 Aria. 9-10 MPG and enough room to not go crazy.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 03:22 AM   #36

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Several reasons…..

Even though diesel is at a premium, I’m stopping to fill up far less than a gasser.

.....cut....

Quote:
1st of all...no one is "hung up" over anything...its a very educated and qualified opinion and desire. It's all about power, torque and lack of ignition maintenance....it sure isn't about money.

I don’t really care what you guys prefer or buy, but do care about misleading others (less educated than you two), so will share objective data solely to educate.

The conversation was about Mercedes Sprinter, but comparisons quickly went to comparing apples and oranges, then concluding avocados are a better fruit.

The Sprinter is no truck-based chassis in that it is semi-unitized in design/construction. GVWR is usually 11,030 pounds, which limits motorhome size and OCCC; and its lower GCWR also limits towing much more.

Judge, regarding driving range, it may get better MPG than Ford E-Series with 7.3L V8, but fuel tank is only 24.5 gallons instead of 55 gallons. If cost does not concern you, range will definitely be greater for E-350, E-450, or F-53 (or equivalent Chevy).

Gritz, Mercedes discontinued 3.0L V6 and replaced with smaller 2.0L in-line-four. Power and torque are slightly higher for the high-output engine, but that’s accomplished by increasing boost pressure a lot. Also transmission is an automotive 9-speed, hardly an Allison.

It’s OK to like diesels, but comparing a tiny aluminum engine boosted enough to make over 100 HP per liter is not comparable to Ford Power Stroke V8 or Cummins in Freightliner chassis.

The Sprinter engine also doesn’t make as much power or torque than the Ford 7.3L V8. No doubt Sprinter diesel is more efficient, but being diesel nor having turbocharging can make up for the gasser being over three times larger in displacement.

P.S. — I’m having hard time with Mercedes not offering a larger diesel on Sprinter motorhomes. Below are specs on Sprinter 4500 series cutaway. I would be OK with small engine in a van, but 2.0L seems too small for a large Class C (or B+) motorhome. I think such a small engine may cost Mercedes sales.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9EE796B2-EF55-422B-A25A-8709CA5C41D5.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	40241   Click image for larger version

Name:	C74D4F29-F5F0-4F7E-AC0E-D387F7781FAC.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	40242