Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2014, 02:34 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #832
Serrano bedroom leak

We have a 2011 Serrano with on going leakage in the bedroom slide. The leak comes in at the back corners of the bed, tracks along the bottom of the bed causing need for pot to catch in 3 places. We can see daylight along the back of the wall at the dring seal. We had it pressure checked and the seal was corrected. The D seal has been replaced and it leaks again in out position in heavy rain. The black seal that protects the outside is torn at the bottom near the drain gutter. Has anyone had this problem and had it fixed. We tried stuffing pieces of noodles to temporary seal, not helpful. Do you think the room is out of alignment. Factory is backed up until late August. Please!

Old 06-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #22

State: Michigan
THOR #880
Smile

We have had ours for a couple of weeks and taken one trip. We have a leak in the shower, LED on awning not working, various fit / finish issues and poor "joints" on all the storage locker seals. That is what I would call minor stuff. We are very please over all with this rig!!
Old 10-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #23

State: West Virginia
THOR #902
I just purchased a Miramar 34.2, on first trip we had the motor cover latches come undone/open 7 times (sometimes right, sometimes left). On two occasions both motor hatch covers came open and the entire hatch raised up obstructing the driver's view while going down the road. I have tried adjusting the two latch bolts but it would appear latches do not extend long enough to make a solid and secure hold.
Anyone else with this issue? Help.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:01 AM   #24

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
Huh,
Haven't seen that one yet!! Doesn't surprise me though!! This is the first of many problems you may have with your new THOR product!! I, like a lot of others on this forum are very disappointed with our Thor motor homes!

It seems the quality control at their facility is very poor! Just read thru previous posts on this forum. I really liked the first Thor product I purchased a few years ago. I took delivery of a brand new 2014 Miramar 34.2 in Feb 2014. I've had nothing but trouble and it's been extremely disappointing!! I returned it to the dealer after our first shake down trip with approx 30 items needing attention and repair. This was a brand new unit, 2,100 miles!! I dropped the unit back at the dealer last month, 4th time, still trying to get items fixed! Just had an issue with the ginormous slide.

Take a close look at the rails on the slide, if they are showing signs of wear or are looking chewed up, have it looked at, it could be a sign of big problems to come!!

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't purchase the Miramar again or any other Thor product!! Thor has some serious QC issues, I would avoid their products until they can get their issues worked out!

It's a shame, they have some great concepts and ideas, they just need to get their act together!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #25

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
Thor definitely has some quality check issues at their factories. I figure they must be just getting them out the door as quickly as possible and sacrificing quality inspection. All this at the customer's expense. I've had an issue with the front hood cover of my Axis. There's a gap of approx. 1/2 to 3/4 inch from side to side across the top. Mine hinges at the bottom with a latch on both sides. Don't know why a latch at the top wasn't figured into the plan to pull it up tighter. Both latches are adjusted as tight as possible on each side and it still leaves the gap. Something I can live with but shouldn't be there.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:33 AM   #26

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianh442 View Post
Huh,
Haven't seen that one yet!! Doesn't surprise me though!! This is the first of many problems you may have with your new THOR product!! I, like a lot of others on this forum are very disappointed with our Thor motor homes!

It seems the quality control at their facility is very poor! Just read thru previous posts on this forum. I really liked the first Thor product I purchased a few years ago. I took delivery of a brand new 2014 Miramar 34.2 in Feb 2014. I've had nothing but trouble and it's been extremely disappointing!! I returned it to the dealer after our first shake down trip with approx 30 items needing attention and repair. This was a brand new unit, 2,100 miles!! I dropped the unit back at the dealer last month, 4th time, still trying to get items fixed! Just had an issue with the ginormous slide.

Take a close look at the rails on the slide, if they are showing signs of wear or are looking chewed up, have it looked at, it could be a sign of big problems to come!!

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't purchase the Miramar again or any other Thor product!! Thor has some serious QC issues, I would avoid their products until they can get their issues worked out!

It's a shame, they have some great concepts and ideas, they just need to get their act together!!!
What was the issue with the slide?
Old 10-23-2014, 12:37 AM   #27

THOR #1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodridsge View Post
I just purchased a Miramar 34.2, on first trip we had the motor cover latches come undone/open 7 times (sometimes right, sometimes left). On two occasions both motor hatch covers came open and the entire hatch raised up obstructing the driver's view while going down the road. I have tried adjusting the two latch bolts but it would appear latches do not extend long enough to make a solid and secure hold.
Anyone else with this issue? Help.
Not a perfect solution, but if you wedge something in between the motor access hatch and the cap, that will keep the hatch secure. I've tried adjusting the brackets and looked for longer latches... but no success.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #28

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Washington
THOR #578
The issue with the slide starts with the tracks. I started noticing the forward rails were showing signs of wear, I started finding small pieces of metal shavings on the floor behind the drivers seat. Then I started noticing as the slide would extend and retract, As it hit the mid point it would noticeably drop, while extending. While retracting, the motors would labor and it would not track evenly, the front would move a little, then the rear half would begrudgingly start to move. Sometimes it would just stop!! Wouldn't budge! I would have to extend it back out and start over again! How frustrating!!!!!

There have been times when it's taken 15 minutes to get the thing all the way in! As it retracts, it seems when it first starts it is pulling uphill, and when it finally hits the mid point, the whole slide kinda drops and lurches and seems to fall back into its tracks and will retract normally!

When the slide is fully in or fully extended, there doesn't appear to be any water leaks, so the seals are okay. I was looking at a washer and dryer, but I'm a little reluctant now, not sure what another couple hundred pounds on the slide would do to it!!

I've heard similar stories, and apperently a slide of this size and weight should have a total of six rails and motors, not four. So the four motors just aren't strong enough to move the ginormous slide!!!!
Old 10-25-2014, 01:06 AM   #29

THOR #1169
I know what you mean about the slide. It is pretty big. I inspect ours regularly, keep it clean, lubricated, and make sure the wiring harness isn't being pinched. So far after a year of ownership, it's been flawless. I did however notice that it operated much smoother and faster after it was lubricated, and I've lubricated it 2x this summer.

Regarding the third track, I don't know how much it helps, but it probably doesn't hurt anything. Even though there are now 3 tracks, there is still only 2 motors located at either upper corner of the slide.

Good luck with the repair and please let me know what they find to be the problem. Thanks...
Old 11-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #30

State: Florida
THOR #682
<Miramar 34.2

I thought I would update all with my ongoing issues with Thor quality. I got my Miramar back from CW after 4 weeks and they were able to fix one thing out of many requests. The icemaker hose was bent in half not allowing it to make ice. They never were able to get the correct bolts for doghouse as they kept ordering wrong parts. They put in some old bolts. Mind you these items came this way from the factory. I wont go into the horror stories of this CW but needless to say people are without jobs there now.
Just got back from our second trip since owning and had to reglue all cabinet door hinges as the screws were falling out. Shower wont drain since day one have to leave gray tank open. Mouldings on slide all coming off, had to renail with finish nails.
All mostly minor repairs that I cant justify driving to repair shop and leaving it. Cost more in gas than fixing it.
On a better note I installed a remote fan in Living room vent area myself. CW wanted 200.00 labor, joke. It works great just ran 12-2 to back of coach and installed 5 amp in fusebox. Now i have venting in Livingroom. Also installed BeQuiet Ultimate to underside of doghouse. Must do cuts down the engine noise by half making for an enjoyable ride.
All in all I still love the Miramar 34.2.
Shes all set up pulling my Jeep wrangler, with no problem.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:51 AM   #31

THOR #1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by retromike View Post
I thought I would update all with my ongoing issues with Thor quality. I got my Miramar back from CW after 4 weeks and they were able to fix one thing out of many requests. The icemaker hose was bent in half not allowing it to make ice. They never were able to get the correct bolts for doghouse as they kept ordering wrong parts. They put in some old bolts. Mind you these items came this way from the factory. I wont go into the horror stories of this CW but needless to say people are without jobs there now.
Just got back from our second trip since owning and had to reglue all cabinet door hinges as the screws were falling out. Shower wont drain since day one have to leave gray tank open. Mouldings on slide all coming off, had to renail with finish nails.
All mostly minor repairs that I cant justify driving to repair shop and leaving it. Cost more in gas than fixing it.
On a better note I installed a remote fan in Living room vent area myself. CW wanted 200.00 labor, joke. It works great just ran 12-2 to back of coach and installed 5 amp in fusebox. Now i have venting in Livingroom. Also installed BeQuiet Ultimate to underside of doghouse. Must do cuts down the engine noise by half making for an enjoyable ride.
All in all I still love the Miramar 34.2.
Shes all set up pulling my Jeep wrangler, with no problem.
Having a fan in the living room would be nice. How did you route the wiring from the living room vent to the fuse box in the bed?
Old 11-02-2014, 03:39 AM   #32

THOR #682
I REMOVED THE STRIP OF CEILING MOULDING LEADING TOWARDS THE MICROWAVE CABINET. RAN THE WIRES TO THE CABINET AND DRILLED SMALL HOLE TO THE REFRIDGERATOR CABINET. RAN THE LINE DOWN AND THROUGH THE FLOOR. YOU CAN REMOVE THE PANEL UNDER fRIDGE, THE REST IS JUST WORKING THE LINE TO THE AREA UNDER BED WHERE WIRES GO UP THROUGH TO FUSE BOX. THERE IS A SPACE FOR A FUSE AT BOTTOM OF FUSEBOX.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:50 AM   #33

THOR #682
Miramar 34.2

Guys,

If any of you have any ideas on the shower not draining please let me know. I have tried blowing it out and inspected it . If I leave the tank open it drains fine, all the sinks drain fine. It appears to be a vent problem and I checked under sink cabinet [QUOTE]b[QUOTE]y removing the panel and i dont see where its vented at all? This has me going crazy. Its been that way since I got it in March. Thanks for any suggestions,
Old 11-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #34

THOR #1169
Usually the lines from the fixtures have an air admittance wall to prevent the traps from being emptied while draining, and the collection tanks will be vented to the outside through the roof. You should have 2 vents on the roof, one each for the black and grey tanks. If they are both present, perhaps one is clogged, or worse... not installed.

If the shower drain works fine with the slide gate open, then it does sound as if you have a vent problem.

How is the drain from the kitchen sink as they are connected to the grey tank?

By they way, the bathroom sink drains to the black tank, so you can't use it to compare against the shower.

Good luck.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #35

THOR #682
Angry

Thanks Streamcamper, you are correct on the bathroom sink it does drain into the black tank. I have had no issue with the kitchen sink but we don't really run alot of water while doing dishes. I tried checking the drain lines and am getting nowhere, you cant see below the shower to see whats under the drain?. As typical while testing the water flow I used the water pump and left it on overnight with all faucetts shut, which shouldn't be a problem you would think. Got a great surprise this morning to find a big old puddle of water running through the kitchen. The same repair that was completed by CW crapped out again, The ice-maker hose going into back of Fridge leaking again. I pulled the fridge out and found the pressure fitting was leaking ,the copper ring was crushed, this is warranty work at its best. Stay away from CW in St Augustine.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #36

THOR #1169
There should be a ~6"x6" access panel in the passenger side rear wheel well where you can access the shower drain.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:08 AM   #37

THOR #682
thanks ,I will check this area in the following week, unfortunately back to work .Vacation over.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #38

THOR #682
Found the access panel and am able to look up in there and i do see the vent going up the wall to roof, so I guess its vented. Not sure what I can do from here. I dont know if maybe I can install a vent in the line under the sink like the 2 sinks have? Its really frustrating as the tank is right there and I cant see why it backs up. Tried again blowing it all out with pressure to no avail.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:10 AM   #39

THOR #943
I feel your pain. We had most of the same problems you had with our 34.2.
Do you think Thor will ever get it right?
Old 11-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #40

THOR #1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by retromike View Post
Found the access panel and am able to look up in there and i do see the vent going up the wall to roof, so I guess its vented. Not sure what I can do from here. I dont know if maybe I can install a vent in the line under the sink like the 2 sinks have? Its really frustrating as the tank is right there and I cant see why it backs up. Tried again blowing it all out with pressure to no avail.
Perhaps you can verify the grey tank is properly vented. First check the vent on the roof for an obstruction like a bees nest. You could then measure the distance within the vent pipe itself or you could add water to the vent pipe to see if it accumulates, which it should not.