Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2020, 08:04 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Delaware
THOR #18866
Miramar 34.2 What stops the Slide out when extending

Hello,

I have a question, what stops the slide out when extending? Is it the slide out frame itself?

I have a full wall slide on a Miramar 34.2 and it seems the wood moulding on the inside of the coach flexes on the rear of the slide when it comes to the stop of the extend.
It seems the slide should stop maybe a 1/4 of an inch before it stops, but it seems the motors want to pull it further before they stop. I can actually see the vertical wood moulding flex in a tiny bit when the slide reaches the end. The front of the slide doesn't do this.

I was thinking of adding a reinforcement bracket to the back top of the slide and moulding to hold it steady.

Has anyone had this issue of the molding flexing?

Thanks

Ponti

Old 05-18-2020, 08:09 PM   #2

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
I have a Hurricane 31z with 2 opposing slides. Both flex at the top when I open them. Not much, but I can see it move. Maybe I should be worried, but I’m not.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:14 PM   #3

THOR #18866
Thanks for the response

Its a little worrisome to me. I would rather not take it to a dealer as I'm sure they will charge me a lot of money and it will still flex....lol
Old 05-18-2020, 08:20 PM   #4

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
I know I should be concerned about it. I have had my wife open the slide so I can be next to the trim. It just moves a little. With the slide in I can do the same flexing with my hand. So I just blew it off.
Now you got me thinking I should be worried.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:42 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontihog View Post
Hello,

I have a question, what stops the slide out when extending? Is it the slide out frame itself?

I have a full wall slide on a Miramar 34.2 and it seems the wood moulding on the inside of the coach flexes on the rear of the slide when it comes to the stop of the extend.
It seems the slide should stop maybe a 1/4 of an inch before it stops, but it seems the motors want to pull it further before they stop. I can actually see the vertical wood moulding flex in a tiny bit when the slide reaches the end. The front of the slide doesn't do this.

I was thinking of adding a reinforcement bracket to the back top of the slide and moulding to hold it steady.

Has anyone had this issue of the molding flexing?

Thanks

Ponti
There is a aluminum tubular frame in the wall surrounding the slide. There is metal electrical conduit cover for the upper motor's power cable screwed into the wall. There are aluminum "angles" screwed to the inside of the slide surround's vertical edges . When the aluminum angle comes into contact with the coach's wall, the slide motors stall and the electric motor brake is applied. If the molding is moving, I would assume the slide's metal angles are twisting. You probably do not see movement on the smaller slides because the smaller slide motors have about 1/2 the torque of the full wall slides but the vertical metal angles are the same.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I believe there also are limits programmed into the controller. At least that’s what the manual for my coach says. If you do a manual override as part of troubleshooting a malfunctioning slide the limits need to be reset by a service tech.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:57 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I believe there also are limits programmed into the controller. At least that’s what the manual for my coach says. If you do a manual override as part of troubleshooting a malfunctioning slide the limits need to be reset by a service tech.
No physical movement limits in the controller for LCI Schwintek In-Wall slides. This allows the same Schwintek In-Wall system to be used in 12, 14, 18, 24, 28 and 30 inch depth slides. There are voltage and amperage limits as well as error in comparing the Hall effect pulses. Be aware there are flush floor, floor and room slides as well as In-Wall slides in RVs. Entegra Diesel class A (a Thor industries Company) uses in-floor slides which use a floor rack and pinion with physical limit switches Foretravel uses flush floor slides which also have physical travel limits.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:36 PM   #8

THOR #18866
Thank you,

I did see he brackets and one looked spaced a little different than the others on the side that is flexing.

If you push the button on the controller the correct number of times and then hold it does the unit need to be reprogrammed? I recall the former owner saying he only had a problem with the slide one time and he said he mentioned he had to do it. Not sure if it was under warranty then when he had it done. He said he never had problems since.