Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2023, 01:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #28962
Extra storage found beneath stairs!

I've had my 2018 Hurricane for almost a year now. The previous owner did not show me the extra storage drawer and compartment beneath the stairs. Yesterday, I noticed that the top step on the stairs was loose. when I removed the glued-down rubber tread, I noticed that the step was attached by a hinge. When I lifted the hinged step, I found a hidden storage compartment. This is a perfect hiding spot for valuables or firearms. Then I noticed that the bottom riser on the stairs has a hole in the middle, big enough for my finger. I thought this hole was for a light. I stuck my finger in it and found it was hollow. I pulled on the riser, and it slid out. It was a hidden drawer large enough to store two pairs of shoes! A pleasant surprise for me. Has anyone else not noticed the storage beneath their steps?

Old 03-13-2023, 01:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDeacon View Post
I've had my 2018 Hurricane for almost a year now. The previous owner did not show me the extra storage drawer and compartment beneath the stairs. Yesterday, I noticed that the top step on the stairs was loose. when I removed the glued-down rubber tread, I noticed that the step was attached by a hinge. When I lifted the hinged step, I found a hidden storage compartment. This is a perfect hiding spot for valuables or firearms. Then I noticed that the bottom riser on the stairs has a hole in the middle, big enough for my finger. I thought this hole was for a light. I stuck my finger in it and found it was hollow. I pulled on the riser, and it slid out. It was a hidden drawer large enough to store two pairs of shoes! A pleasant surprise for me. Has anyone else not noticed the storage beneath their steps?
There was a thread about this storage a few years ago which dated back to 2014 and 2015 model Class A motorhomes. Folks referred to it as secret storage, which was no longer a secret after they informed the world about its existence.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...box-31470.html
Old 03-13-2023, 01:26 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
It's so secret I forgot what I have stored in mine.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 03:09 PM   #4

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
I don't know if it is so secret. I have a 2018 ACE that I purchased in 2022. I went online to find everything I could about the coach. I found a bunch of reviews for my model, nearly all of then pointed out the under-step storage. I was also able to find reviews for the hurricane that also showed the under-step storage.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 03:42 PM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
I don't know if it is so secret. I have a 2018 ACE that I purchased in 2022. I went online to find everything I could about the coach. I found a bunch of reviews for my model, nearly all of then pointed out the under-step storage. I was also able to find reviews for the hurricane that also showed the under-step storage.
Not now it’s not. Back in 14 and 15 it was until folks let the cat out of the bag. Same folks also discussed their “secret storage” for transporting their firearms. Real thinkers, they were.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:59 AM   #6

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Not now it’s not. Back in 14 and 15 it was until folks let the cat out of the bag. Same folks also discussed their “secret storage” for transporting their firearms. Real thinkers, they were.
The reviews I found were for 2018 ACE and Hurricane models. So, the cat was out of the bag, so to speak, in 2018. I am sure the reason the OP was not shown was that the person doing the walk through must have thought, "Everyone knows about this." and neglected to point it out.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 01:34 AM   #7

THOR #28962
To uodate this post, my Hurricane is a 2018 model 34P.
Old 03-14-2023, 01:38 AM   #8

THOR #28962
I am at least the third owner. the second owner sold it to me. He said he bought directly from the original owner. I contacted him by email, and he told me he was not told about the hidden box beneath the top step or the drawer on the riser of the 2nd step. He was just as surprised as I was and joked that he might not have sold the RV if he'd known about hidden storage spaces.
Old 03-18-2023, 06:13 PM   #9

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
No Tuscany Secret Step

I have the Tuscany diesel pusher so I don't have any secret step storage although that would be nice. On my coach the stairs motor up closed then a plate motors over the stairway completely covering the stair well and folded up stairs. In other words the stairway which is in front of the passenger seat completely dissappears. The room under it is occupied by all the gear to make that happen so no space for shoes or anything else. I thought this rig being so big would have all the storage I would ever need. Not true I still want more space.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 06:35 PM   #10

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
The reviews I found were for 2018 ACE and Hurricane models. So, the cat was out of the bag, so to speak, in 2018. I am sure the reason the OP was not shown was that the person doing the walk through must have thought, "Everyone knows about this." and neglected to point it out.
The person doing the walk through didn’t know it was there. I’m 3 1/2 years in. I knew bout the drawer. Raised the step and Lo and behold, a storage cubby. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2023, 07:20 PM   #11

Model: ACE 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Maryland
THOR #10304
Likewise, I have a 2018 Ace 30.2 (bunkhouse) and I knew about the slide out step drawer as mine always slides out on bumpy roads. Did not know about the lift up step storage for at least two years or more. The last thing I found, after about 3-1/2 years, was that the exterior TV is on a pull-out swivel mount. We had always just moved our chairs around to get a good spot to watch without sun glare etc. Then one day I was watching a YouTube review of Ace RVs and they showed pulling the exterior TV out on a swivel and positioning it how they wanted. So I tried ours and sure enough it was on a swivel just like they showed. Not sure if there are still more hiddens gems still tucked away or not...

Best Regards...
Old 03-18-2023, 10:48 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Tennessee
THOR #15052
I am the first owner of a 2019 Hurricane 34J. The dealer neglected to show the space to me and I discovered them months latter. I keep a fly swater sand brushes to sweep the stairs. In the drawer I keep a towel for the dogs wet feet. Very handy.
Toad 2 - 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Fordste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:03 PM   #13

Model: ACE 29G
THOR #28393
Have the 2023 ACE 29g...that step drawer has increasingly become a Go To spot....keep my spare fuse box in it, zip ties, small hand tools, tire lug nut bar, small first aid kit and still room for more.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:21 PM   #14

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: California
THOR #20085
I wasn't told either and I use it to store my flashlights!
Old 03-22-2023, 03:00 AM   #15

Model: ACE
State: Arizona
THOR #15278
Quote:
Ours is a 2016 Thor A.C.E. and we found our step drawer when it slid open while we were driving a rough road! We found the step with hinges when, during the rain, my nephew slid on the rubber edge and pulled it! TA-DA!
We use our drawer for storing our fire starting items, flashlights, dog poo bags, and things we might need without climbing in during the rain.
In our top step has the small vacuum tools and filters. Firearms and such...well as someone pointed out, others know of this spot now so it is not as safe as it once was.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:26 PM   #16

Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
I have the Tuscany diesel pusher so I don't have any secret step storage although that would be nice. On my coach the stairs motor up closed then a plate motors over the stairway completely covering the stair well and folded up stairs. In other words the stairway which is in front of the passenger seat completely dissappears. The room under it is occupied by all the gear to make that happen so no space for shoes or anything else. I thought this rig being so big would have all the storage I would ever need. Not true I still want more space.
we have that same space
i was going to use it to place a few items, but the motor failure rate is high on my years coach so it sits unused, in fact we dont even bother raising the stairs anymore