Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2018, 02:49 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Ace 2015 30.1
State: Texas
THOR #8978
Miramar question

Those who have a miramar how do you like? Does it drive decent? Have suggestions? We're looking at 2018 bunk 2 baths

Old 03-06-2018, 04:06 AM   #2

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I have a 2016 34.4 Miramar and love it. Check front end alignment, add Safe-T-Plus steering stabalizer and larger sway bar on rear and it drives like a dream.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:20 AM   #3

THOR #8978
Thanks. How quiet is the cockpit on the road?
Old 03-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #4

State: Virginia
THOR #5560
I own a 2017 34.4. Have enjoyed using it a lot. The coach drives great without having installed sway bar. front end alignment and CHF was all that was required.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #5

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsonjones View Post
Thanks. How quiet is the cockpit on the road?
Quiet is a relative term. This is my third motorhome. The first being a Class C which was very noisy...difficult to carry on a conversation unless coasting down a hill. I find the Miramar much quieter than my previous Class A. I hear of people adding material to the dog house to quiet it but with the Miramar I have never even considered. it. You can hear the engine roar when making a steep grade but I don't consider it excessive. If you want absolute engine quiet you would need to go to a diesel pusher. I have no noticeable wind noise.

I mentioned in a previous post a couple of the add-ons. I should mention those are not "necessary" but nice. Handling is good right off the lot. The Safe-T-Plus allows easier handling in cross winds and wind effect from semis. Mine now drives more like a large van...you can still feel the winds but it doesn't bother me anymore.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:18 PM   #6

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Florida
THOR #6451
We have a 2018 Miramar 35.3 and we love it. This is my first motorhome so I don't have anything else to compare it to but I am very pleased with the ride and handling. I have not done any suspension mods yet and at this point I'm not sure it any are necessary. I live in Florida so there are no hills to climb but I think the engine noise is not bad except for accelerating to get on the interstate or the occasional big over pass. I have had some warranty issues with the RV but that is expected from everything I have read about new motorhomes.

Burch
Old 03-06-2018, 02:01 PM   #7

THOR #8978
Thank you all
Old 03-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
I have a 2017 Miramar 34.4.

It really drove like crap before getting a front end alignment. Once that was done it was much more bearable. I wrote a bit more about that here on our blog.

I have 2,000 miles under my belt now and I am just now getting the hang of it but I'm still a bit tense at times driving it especially in windy conditions or when semi trucks or bigger vehicles pass by too quick. I'm still not 100% comfortable passing other vehicles yet.

Driving this rig requires a lot of mindfulness and I'm comfortable only doing about 300 miles a day or so, max. I'm assuming the comfort level would go increase if I added some suspension tweaks, but as of now it is manageable.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:12 PM   #9

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
I have a 2017 Miramar 34.4.

It really drove like crap before getting a front end alignment. Once that was done it was much more bearable. I wrote a bit more about that here on our blog.

I have 2,000 miles under my belt now and I am just now getting the hang of it but I'm still a bit tense at times driving it especially in windy conditions or when semi trucks or bigger vehicles pass by too quick. I'm still not 100% comfortable passing other vehicles yet.

Driving this rig requires a lot of mindfulness and I'm comfortable only doing about 300 miles a day or so, max. I'm assuming the comfort level would go increase if I added some suspension tweaks, but as of now it is manageable.
I reviewed your blog and agree with your assessment of how you felt driving such a big rig. This is not my first motorhome so I had some idea of what to expect. I also found my alignment to be off significantly and it did make a difference in the handling once that was adjusted. The local truck shop that did my alignment suggested the Safe-T-Plus and larger rear track bar, both of which I had done. Now I feel safe in 20-25 MPH cross winds and when passing or meeting a semi I feel like he is dealing with the wind more than I am.

As far as not feeling like I'm filling up 2 lanes traveling down the highway, I have found looking farther down the road helps. Also reminding myself I am only 8 and 1/2 feet wide and Interstate lanes are 12 feet, I know I have plenty of room. No street is allowed with less than 9 foot lanes...most are 10 feet.

Try to relax your arms and you'll be fine.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:45 PM   #10

THOR #8978
Thanks guys. As we have a Thor ace 30.1 were thinking of moving up. We installed a roadmaster stabilizer made 1000% better. Matter of fact my longest drive has been 940 miles. Warner Robins ge to Austin tx. 17 hours in one drive. Actually the ace handled great but looking for a tad bit more room and ride. And it appears a dp prob is not in our budget
Old 03-07-2018, 05:00 AM   #11

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
THOR #9721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I reviewed your blog and agree with your assessment of how you felt driving such a big rig. This is not my first motorhome so I had some idea of what to expect. I also found my alignment to be off significantly and it did make a difference in the handling once that was adjusted. The local truck shop that did my alignment suggested the Safe-T-Plus and larger rear track bar, both of which I had done. Now I feel safe in 20-25 MPH cross winds and when passing or meeting a semi I feel like he is dealing with the wind more than I am.

As far as not feeling like I'm filling up 2 lanes traveling down the highway, I have found looking farther down the road helps. Also reminding myself I am only 8 and 1/2 feet wide and Interstate lanes are 12 feet, I know I have plenty of room. No street is allowed with less than 9 foot lanes...most are 10 feet.

Try to relax your arms and you'll be fine.
Thank you for reading! The Safe-T-Plus has been on my todo: list, but there were some things I needed to invest in first such as the EEZTire system which I just picked up last week. I'm still dialing that in and trying to get it to read my inner duallies, but I digress.

It is encouraging to hear that those suspension upgrades to a better job of making the bus feel more comfortable. That is a good tip to keep reminding myself that I'm 8.5 wide. I swear when I'm looking in both of my side mirrors if feels like I am filling up the the whole lane. Again, this is coming from someone who has only driven sports and passenger cars.

The last tip is the best one. I'm realizing the more that I relax, the easier the drive is. Just rolling with the wandering or the wind pushes a bit and not freaking out internally everytime it happens has been a huge help.

I'll be doing some of those suspension tweaks, I'll be sure to post my review once they are done.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:11 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
We have a 2016 34.2 and Love it, leaving for Disney World in 15 days. Next January we will be snowbirds in this unit.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:05 PM   #13

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
Thank you for reading! The Safe-T-Plus has been on my todo: list, but there were some things I needed to invest in first such as the EEZTire system which I just picked up last week. I'm still dialing that in and trying to get it to read my inner duallies, but I digress.

It is encouraging to hear that those suspension upgrades to a better job of making the bus feel more comfortable. That is a good tip to keep reminding myself that I'm 8.5 wide. I swear when I'm looking in both of my side mirrors if feels like I am filling up the the whole lane. Again, this is coming from someone who has only driven sports and passenger cars.

The last tip is the best one. I'm realizing the more that I relax, the easier the drive is. Just rolling with the wandering or the wind pushes a bit and not freaking out internally everytime it happens has been a huge help.

I'll be doing some of those suspension tweaks, I'll be sure to post my review once they are done.
The additions I made to my coach allows you the time to react. In gusty winds or meeting a semi the Safe-T-Plus does the job of keeping your wheels straight, giving you the time to gently steer into the wind, without having to jerk your steering wheel to counteract the gust. That relieves your stress making it easier to relax your arms and shoulders...makes for a much more enjoyable drive.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:32 PM   #14

State: California
THOR #8228
I also have a Miramar (34.2 2015),m. I installed the Safety- plus at Quartzsite last Jan. Special show price and free install at your location. Had the drive back to LA to test it out. Really like the stability it provides, along with the CHF front & back. And the concept of how it works, cheaper too than the other solutions. BTW: 5 star tune really hunkers down the MH by supplying an extra 40 hp & 70 tork. Feels like a beast ! I like to refer to my bottom mirrors to make sure I'm even and centered in my lane between the 2 white lines.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:40 PM   #15

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bratmanstudio View Post
I also have a Miramar (34.2 2015),m. I installed the Safety- plus at Quartzsite last Jan. Special show price and free install at your location. Had the drive back to LA to test it out. Really like the stability it provides, along with the CHF front & back. And the concept of how it works, cheaper too than the other solutions. BTW: 5 star tune really hunkers down the MH by supplying an extra 40 hp & 70 tork. Feels like a beast ! I like to refer to my bottom mirrors to make sure I'm even and centered in my lane between the 2 white lines.
Since your Miramar is a 2015, does it have a 5 speed transmission. Mine is a 2016 with a 6 speed. I'm unsure as to whether the 5 Star Tune is needed with the 6 speed. I haven't driven in the mountains, other than in the Ozarks, but have found my current set up to be adequate so far.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #16

State: California
THOR #8228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
Since your Miramar is a 2015, does it have a 5 speed transmission. Mine is a 2016 with a 6 speed. I'm unsure as to whether the 5 Star Tune is needed with the 6 speed. I haven't driven in the mountains, other than in the Ozarks, but have found my current set up to be adequate so far.
It's the extra Hp, the extra tork and mostly the better shift ratio and re-gearing that made all the difference. It would shift from 5tg down to 3rd or 2nd on the slightest incline. Now it's very smooth in transitions. Plus the extra power doesn't hurt. 5 speed or not. We still have the 6.8L v10 f53 that's geared for generic truck use and not tuned for a motor home full of people and gear.
Old 03-24-2023, 02:55 AM   #17

Model: Miramar 35.2
THOR #28437
I have a 17' 35.3 I had the ft end aligned. Turns out it was way off. It helped but the s steering still feels "loose". Had the front end checked when I put new tires on in January and again when I had it aligned in March. I was told the Ft end was in good shape and "tight". Think the Safe T plus will help? Cost?
Old 03-24-2023, 02:59 AM   #18

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
What brand of steering tires and psig?

Weight on the front axle?

Radials tend to squirm and some brands more than others.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:32 AM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofishbass View Post
I have a 17' 35.3 I had the ft end aligned. Turns out it was way off. It helped but the s steering still feels "loose". Had the front end checked when I put new tires on in January and again when I had it aligned in March. I was told the Ft end was in good shape and "tight". Think the Safe T plus will help? Cost?
Yes.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote