Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
More newbie questions

Wanted to thank everyone for help with some earlier questions. Here are some new ones - any answers would be appreciated.

We have a 2016 Thor Siesta 24SA, by the way.

1) what do you do, if anything, for a mattress cover and sheets? We assumed we could find fitted sheets and cover for the Denver mattress, but nothing comes particularly close in size. My wife is grumpy about this :-)

2) I know the RV must be moving, or level (3° one direction and 6° the other), to keep the refrigerator working properly. The question is how quickly do I have to shut it off if I stop and the RV is not level? Probably ok if I stop to buy diesel. What about if I stop for lunch (say, 30 minutes)? Probably too long. Getting something to go at a sandwich shop or convenience store? Using an RV dump?

And, by the way, what's the symptom if I have damaged the fridge - won't get cold, bursts into flames, ...?

3) the RV came without a rear view mirror, which makes sense - you cannot see much. But there is a rear window, and it seems like it would be useful to see what's behind you. I have used a stick-on wide-angle lens on my SUV rear window to increase visibility, so I could use that with the mirror. We have a backup camera that I can turn on manually, but it's up high and points mostly down. So - any thoughts on adding a rear view mirror? Bad idea? Illegal?

4) valve stems - worth adding? This has dual tires in the back, and, while I have not yet TRIED to check the pressure, or add air, it doesn't look easy. And I normally watch my car tire pressure fairly closely. I got a verbal quote from Camping World when I was there that was somewhere between $800 and $1000 for all 4 corners. I know to get stronger metal or metal mesh stems - not rubber. Anyway - worth the peace of mind? (My dealer doesn't do tires, and said many tire places won't do stems, because of failures and liability...)

Hope that's not too many questions!

Thanks in advance
Dan

Old 06-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspotho View Post

4) valve stems - worth adding? This has dual tires in the back, and, while I have not yet TRIED to check the pressure, or add air, it doesn't look easy. And I normally watch my car tire pressure fairly closely. I got a verbal quote from Camping World when I was there that was somewhere between $800 and $1000 for all 4 corners. I know to get stronger metal or metal mesh stems - not rubber. Anyway - worth the peace of mind? (My dealer doesn't do tires, and said many tire places won't do stems, because of failures and liability...)

Hope that's not too many questions!

Thanks in advance
Dan
Say what, 800 - 1000 for valve stem extensions? Run, run and never go back.

Although I had my dealer add them as a condition of sale the extenders on my duals cost 80.00 per set with 2 sets required. What are planning on installing a 10 carat diamond stud solid gold extender?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire valve 2.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	2276

For the bed sheet issue, check out this video. The concept works well for our "King size" bed.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspotho
2) I know the RV must be moving, or level (3° one direction and 6° the other), to keep the refrigerator working properly. The question is how quickly do I have to shut it off if I stop and the RV is not level? Probably ok if I stop to buy diesel. What about if I stop for lunch (say, 30 minutes)? Probably too long. Getting something to go at a sandwich shop or convenience store? Using an RV dump?

And, by the way, what's the symptom if I have damaged the fridge - won't get cold, bursts into flames, ...?
I leave it on all the time--even when stopping for lunch--with the exception of fueling.

A refer damaged due to running out of level for too long simply won't get cold. If left in that condition I would imagine it would start leaking ammonia.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:23 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
1) what do you do, if anything, for a mattress cover and sheets?

My wife modifies store bought fitted sheets to fit the mattress.

2) I know the RV must be moving, or level (3° one direction and 6° the other), to keep the refrigerator working properly. The question is how quickly do I have to shut it off if I stop and the RV is not level?

Usually where you park to buy gas, etc is level. If it's not, turn off the refrig and turn it back on when you leave. The fridge will stay cold for quite a while.

3) So - any thoughts on adding a rear view mirror? Bad idea? Illegal?

I added a rear view mirror to mine. it's been very useful.

4) valve stems - worth adding?

I did not add any valve stems and I don't have a problem checking the air pressure or filling the tires.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #5

Model: Windsport34F
THOR #3382
Valve Stems

I didn't care for the steel mesh type of valve extenders that came with my coach. The first opportunity I had, I took it in, and had the tires balanced, and the front end aligned. When they removed the tires to balance, I went with brass valve stems that fixed, and fit between the rims, so the backs are easy to fill. I added TPMS sensors, and I preferred the fact that the stem is heavier construction.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
When you buy gas, you should always turn off your fridge. If some idiot leaves their gay nozzle unattended and it overflows under your RV, the fridge gas igniter might just "light your fire".

I also leave my fridge on for months at a time (four months last summer) except when I stop for fuel. I have never had a problem with any fridge in four RVs being level. That said, I am always careful to pick a level place to park.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:48 PM   #7

THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Say what, 800 - 1000 for valve stem extensions? Run, run and never go back.

Although I had my dealer add them as a condition of sale the extenders on my duals cost 80.00 per set with 2 sets required. What are planning on installing a 10 carat diamond stud solid gold extender?
Sorry - I should have been clearer - most of that cost was labor - about one hour per tire (or corner, actually, I think) at about $125/hour. Yes, outrageous, I know. I think she said hardware was about $50 to $100 per valve stem - and I assume the better, metal ones would be about $100.

Dan
Old 06-17-2016, 11:56 PM   #8

THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
When you buy gas, you should always turn off your fridge. If some idiot leaves their gay nozzle unattended and it overflows under your RV, the fridge gas igniter might just "light your fire".
Good point - thanks!
Dan
Old 06-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
State: Michigan
THOR #3954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
If some idiot leaves their gay nozzle unattended and it overflows under your RV, the fridge gas igniter might just "light your fire".

Auto spell-check strikes again [emoji38]
Old 06-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Arizona
THOR #2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
For the bed sheet issue, check out this video. The concept works well for our "King size" bed.

Great idea!

I use a similar system for our twin blow-up guest bed at home (when I have to make the office into a second guest room!). I use the elastic stretch straps for holding ironing board covers onto the boards. I place one at each corner, wrapped under the frame of the bed so that the bottom sheet and mattress pad won't work off during the night.

I'm going looking for suspenders right now! :-)
Old 06-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #11
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspotho View Post
Sorry - I should have been clearer - most of that cost was labor - about one hour per tire (or corner, actually, I think) at about $125/hour. Yes, outrageous, I know. I think she said hardware was about $50 to $100 per valve stem - and I assume the better, metal ones would be about $100.

Dan
Ron got valve stem extenders for our Axis, at Walmart ... installed them ...
less than $10 ! They are only about an inch long..metal..he sez plenty long for the interior rear tires and do the job !

easy fix !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote