Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
New RV Question

Just bought a slightly used 2011Four Winds 28Z, and I have a question. The control panel has two switches labeled "Water Heater" . The left switch says LP-Gas On/Off, and the right switch says 110Volts On/Off.

Here is a photo of the control panel:

Normally, I would think each switch would control each function, however, confirming the part number on the water heater - it is gas only. The water heater is an Atwood G6A-8E, which according to the manual (original window sticker) the water heater is gas only.

Also, And I have not found a 120VAC breaker for the water heater.

There are several unused functions on the control panel, and those switch positions are filled with a blank rather than a switch. However, the 110VAC position does have a switch rather than a blank.

During walk through, the tech told me the water heater was a gas/electric model, but I have confirmed it is not.

I am scratching my head as to why there would be a 110V switch. I can't try it as everything is winterized, including the water tank, so I won't be able to flip any switches until next spring.

Any ideas from existing owners as to the switch function?

Old 11-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #2

State: Arizona
THOR #299
You use the 110v switch on the water heater when connected to shore power, otherwise use the gas switch. You can use both to heat the water faster. BE SURE to have water in the tank before using either. I too have a Thor Chateau.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
If you have the Atwood G6A-8E
Then I think you are right. According to this it's only LP
Atwood G6A-8E G6A8E DSI 6 Gallon RV Trailer Water Heater 96121 96220 Camper Trailer RV
Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
I verified the model number today, and it is the G6A8E. I also poked around the water heater front and there was no electric element attached to it.

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps you can power the control unit by DC or AC, or possibly the spark generator to light the unit only works on AC.

I did submit a question to Thor customer service... we'll see if they respond.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
I believe it gets it's spark for ignition from the 12v system.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Yes, you are right. I saw that on the schematic. Now I am back to the beginning...
Old 11-17-2013, 01:52 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Indiana
THOR #234
I'm with tgdameron. I have 110 for shore power and gas for when we're Boondockin'.

Even when I'm hooked to shore power I turn my gas switch on at the same time. It has a faster recovery when using a lot of hot. Wife likes long showers.

2012 Infinity 3850RL
2011 Ford F-350 FX4 6.7 Diesel
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #124
Heck, I wouldn't worry about it to much. If it makes hot water for you that's all that's' really necessary. At some point down the road if you decide you want to or need to have electric, it's not that hard to switch those units out. Keep that link I posted I believe that is a pretty decent price.
Good luck
Old 11-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #9

Model: Palazzo 35.1
THOR #368
That's the same panel I have on my 2014 Four Winds Super C. The water heater is a dual mode. My guess is that they use the same panel because it is probably more cost effective to use one panel for all situations rather than a different one for every situation.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

THOR #531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosty View Post
That's the same panel I have on my 2014 Four Winds Super C. The water heater is a dual mode. My guess is that they use the same panel because it is probably more cost effective to use one panel for all situations rather than a different one for every situation.
I understand that and I am sure you are correct. However, what has me stumped is there are switch positions for both grey water and black water tank heaters, but those switch positions are blanked out, as if switches are wired in only if that option is ordered.

The only thing I can figure is the 110VAC heater option is so popular that the switch is included.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #11

Model: Palazzo 35.1
THOR #368
Don't have an answer for that one. Maybe the tank heaters are not an option for your model? Where as it would be a fairly easy upgrade to change over to a duel mode water heater any time. That the only thing I can think of.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #12

Model: ACE 30.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #506
My wife and I really like to 30.1 but as with other ACE's they only have a single round kitchen sink. Has this been a problem with the users? THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!