Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2018, 01:44 AM   #21

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
I had a 2017 Chateau 23U and now have a 2018 Chateau 31E, and they both had the mud flap issues. It's a terrible design -- just a couple of small screws that hold the bracket to the sidewall on one side. Those screws rip out and the flap rubs on the tires. I used zip ties from a hole in the flap to the frame to keep them from being pushed back into the tires, and I reinforced the mountings to the sidewall using more/bigger screws and gorilla tape.
Thanks I also zip-tied the metal bar to the side but it only held for 35 M I had to get off on I-20 on the berm and take the whole thing off again. I'm going to have them put a brand new one on and Gorilla Glue it on like you did with new screws. Thx

Old 07-26-2018, 11:51 PM   #22

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Mine didn’t fall off but it did break away from the side mounting allowing it to blow back and rub itself to pieces on the tire. I sent Thor a photo and they sent me a pair of new ones along with the mounting brackets. I does seem like a weak design but replacement was simple and it was super simple to reinforce the mount so that it doesn’t happen again..
That is a sweet story. Mine were chewed up by the tires also took the old flaps to the dealer and the dealer put the darn things back on with the holes in them. So I went back in and said order me new ones that was 6 months ago. I kept calling and they kept saying it wasn't in yet and warranty take so long. Well I called him two days ago they never ordered them and so now I'm waiting again. I think I'm going to go directly with Thor and forget the dealer. Thanks
Old 07-26-2018, 11:53 PM   #23

THOR #7430
Look to see if they replace it because the one they put on was the one with the hole in it. So I marched back in there and made him order me another one. They never ordered it so I'm driving around with mud one mud flap on a brand new unit. Better check yours cuz I had a welder tell me that it's a terrible design and it will fall off again then he have a flat dually because the screws go into the dually. Good luck I hope they stay on for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie-Dave View Post
We had our drivers side mud flap rip off on a trip and bend up the bracket on our 2017 Chateau 26B. It was replaced at the dealer under warranty. I haven't been able to look at the repair yet to verify it was replaced properly though. Hoping for some nice weather soon.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:55 PM   #24

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The mudflaps on Axis/Vegas units are prone to blowing back and contacting the exhaust pipe melting the flap (at least on the passenger side).

My solution to that was truck mudflap weights:
Attachment 9081

Perhaps that could help out here as well.

(They have kept the mudflap off the exhaust pipe.)
Thanks I may have to resort to putting weights on mine as soon as the new one comes in.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:56 PM   #25

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
The mudflaps on Axis/Vegas units are prone to blowing back and contacting the exhaust pipe melting the flap (at least on the passenger side).

My solution to that was truck mudflap weights:
Attachment 9081

Perhaps that could help out here as well.

(They have kept the mudflap off the exhaust pipe.)
They make the mud flap so cheap that the wind make some blow back on to the tire or the exhaust. I'm glad you worked it
Old 10-09-2018, 05:33 AM   #26

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: South Carolina
THOR #11918
The mud flaps on my Thor 23U have taken a beating in less than 20,000 miles. The flaps from the factory are app. 18" by 18 ". The ones I have are a plastic composite that fractures easily. Very poor quality!!

I found that Truck Stops of America carry a real mud flap at their shops that is a rubber based flap and with cord reinforcement. You can get the 24 " x 24" and cut it to fit which was app. 18" x 18" for my Thor 23U. Just cut the new flap with a band saw or a hand held jig saw after you put some layout lines on the flap with the dimensions you need.

Hope this helps.

Get yourself some good galvanized bailing wire to help control the flaps movement and the angle you need to keep the flap away from the tires.

Jack A.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:08 PM   #27

State: Colorado
THOR #19181
glad to see this thread here. Our new-to-us (since June) 4winds 31L has little nubs, remnants of the original 'flaps' in front of the rear duallys. Guess I need to find replacements.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:46 PM   #28

THOR #9490
Bad mudflaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
As for the installation there's just two screws at the top that screw right into the chassis and then two bolts that hold the horizontal bar to the fiberglass wheel well
Anyone have a picture of that?
On our 2017 31E it appears that bolts come down through the chassis and through the mount of the mudflaps.
One side is self tapping (down from the coach) and the other a machine through through a nut welded onto the bracket.
Appears that there is no way to remove the mud flap!
All this failed at about 400 miles & is terrible from the dealer fixes, so I'm looking for a good solution or at least a way to remove the mud flap.
Passenger side is great!
Driver's side is awful with bottoms screws having pulled out of the fiberglass a few times. Driver's side is also totally different than the passenger side.
Thanks in advance!
Old 08-26-2021, 08:22 PM   #29

THOR #19181
Upon further inspection, our rig has a front mud flap on the right side only. Nothing on the left, and no screw holes to indicate it ever had anything at all on the left! *shrug*