Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2018, 03:16 AM   #1

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
Mud flap design on Class C Chateau

My mud flap fell off my 2017 chateau. The bolt which is welded into the fiberglass broke off and the mud flap was chewed up by the tire. The mechanic took it off and told me I should take the other one off cuz it's a terrible design. Anybody else had their mud flap fall off? It's a brand new unit.
While driving through a torrential rainstorm in New Mexico the water came up under the sink and flooded the kitchen floor.

Old 02-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Mine didn’t fall off but it did break away from the side mounting allowing it to blow back and rub itself to pieces on the tire. I sent Thor a photo and they sent me a pair of new ones along with the mounting brackets. I does seem like a weak design but replacement was simple and it was super simple to reinforce the mount so that it doesn’t happen again..
Old 02-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #3

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Flaps in front of rear tires on my Class C were chewed up to nothing. Taken off until I can get a new set and figure a way to keep them from blowing back on tires. Very poor design.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:52 PM   #4

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Chewed up Mudguards on Freedom Elite 23 U

Yes my Thor Freedom Elite 23 U on a Chevy Chassis has chewed up mudflaps too. They seem to lack rigidity and then are deflected rearwards against the front side of the rear wheels where friction causes them to either disintegrate or be rubbed through. My RV is out of warranty so it is good to know they are available from Thor. They are on my list of things to repair for the spring.

1 fender liners or mudflaps both sides rear axle
\2. Sliding shower door lock
3. Bathroom doorstop
4. Lower compartment locks (corroded)

Looking forward to April and spring camping. Still too cold for me in Northern Alberta Canada
Old 02-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #5

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
I've been thinking here about rear wheel well liners or some sort of protection for in front of rear duals. Maybe fabricate some liners out of a 55 gal. plastic drum with a sawzall just to fit front and top of tires.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #6

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
My flaps were replaced by the dealer a couple weeks ago. Before taking it in for a couple other small details I noticed there were no flaps at all on the left side and just one forward of the right duals that showed wear patern from tires. Dealer thought the one on the left had fallen off. When I picked the MH up they had installed forward and aft flaps on both sides. They did a really nice job of it also. Sorry about the orientation of the pics.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1518902703
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1407.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	9077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1406.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	9078  

Old 02-17-2018, 09:35 PM   #7

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Mine didn’t fall off but it did break away from the side mounting allowing it to blow back and rub itself to pieces on the tire. I sent Thor a photo and they sent me a pair of new ones along with the mounting brackets. I does seem like a weak design but replacement was simple and it was super simple to reinforce the mount so that it doesn’t happen again..
My mount us destroyed into the fiberglass! Did they send you the screws to affix it to the bracket? I cant find any to fit.
Had to use a twist tie I hope it worksClick image for larger version

Name:	20180217_113635.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	9079Click image for larger version

Name:	20180217_135039.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	9080
Old 02-17-2018, 09:36 PM   #8

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
Flaps in front of rear tires on my Class C were chewed up to nothing. Taken off until I can get a new set and figure a way to keep them from blowing back on tires. Very poor design.
Be careful going through a puddle. I took my right side off the front one and went through a torrential rainstorm it flooded my entire kitchen floor when it blew rain up through where they drill the holes to put the water lines. It was a mess.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:39 PM   #9

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
My flaps were replaced by the dealer a couple weeks ago. Before taking it in for a couple other small details I noticed there were no flaps at all on the left side and just one forward of the right duals that showed wear patern from tires. Dealer thought the one on the left had fallen off. When I picked the MH up they had installed forward and aft flaps on both sides. They did a really nice job of it also. Sorry about the orientation of the pics.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1518902703
Watch the bracket because it works its way loose and you'll lose those flaps because it rips your fiberglass two pieces where they bolted it
Old 02-17-2018, 09:43 PM   #10

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve76 View Post
I've been thinking here about rear wheel well liners or some sort of protection for in front of rear duals. Maybe fabricate some liners out of a 55 gal. plastic drum with a sawzall just to fit front and top of tires.
Anything would be better than the design that Thor came up with! Had a welder tell me that!
Old 02-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #11

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
Watch the bracket because it works its way loose and you'll lose those flaps because it rips your fiberglass two pieces where they bolted it
Well that would suck. It does seem a full wheel well would be the best solution.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:44 PM   #12

THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamperjan View Post
Be careful going through a puddle. I took my right side off the front one and went through a torrential rainstorm it flooded my entire kitchen floor when it blew rain up through where they drill the holes to put the water lines. It was a mess.
I sealed those pipe holes up. They were large enough for a rat to crawl through so I am sure a lot of water could be thrown up there.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:45 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The mudflaps on Axis/Vegas units are prone to blowing back and contacting the exhaust pipe melting the flap (at least on the passenger side).

My solution to that was truck mudflap weights:
Click image for larger version

Name:	mudflapweights2.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	9081

Perhaps that could help out here as well.

(They have kept the mudflap off the exhaust pipe.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:16 AM   #14

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Thor sent me a set of two new flaps along with two new “L” shaped brackets that are screwed to the camper side wall. I simple used the two new ones along with the originals providing at least 2X the original strength. Took about 10 minutes and has held up fine so far.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
I noticed mine were bad almost from the beginning on my Chateau 31W. I put better bolts and screws in right away and now haven't had a problem for the last 2 years.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:49 PM   #16

Model: Chateau 26B
State: Virginia
THOR #9566
We had our drivers side mud flap rip off on a trip and bend up the bracket on our 2017 Chateau 26B. It was replaced at the dealer under warranty. I haven't been able to look at the repair yet to verify it was replaced properly though. Hoping for some nice weather soon.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:18 AM   #17

Model: Daybreak 22 GOC (aka 22E)
State: Alberta
THOR #7302
Thor Freedom Elite Dual Wheel Mudflaps /fender liners

Well like many on the list I have worn out fender liners on the rear dual wheels on my 2014 Freedom Elite 023U. The RV is long out of warranty. I bit the bullet and called Thor Customer Care the lady answering in parts could not find a part number. They told me to call Total Value RV of Indiana the Thor factory parts outlet. The guy on the phone filled a parts order and sent me item 0119762 wheel well box TPL0312 listed at 32" X 23 1/2" X 7 3/4" , Rotocast, (PL0093 OLD) and charged me $90 us each. Same part number for driver and passenger side. They are basically heavy duty black 3/16" thick black large dish washing tanks???

Unfortunately neither of these parts has any way of obvious installation.

So folks with small Freedom Elite or Chateau or 4 winds motorhomes what do you have around your rear dual wheels.

Mine used to be a large sheet of black plastic?? anchored at the side of the wheel well and held in place by a horizontal bracket about 2 feet long.

Rocky
Old 03-06-2018, 01:27 AM   #18

THOR #7430
Rocky that's what mine is on my 2017 chateau there's two sets of mud flaps front ones and back ones the front ones are anchored as you described. The design is terrible because they break away from the fiberglass bracket holding that to the wheel well. I'm watching the one on the left and it looks like it's going to snap soon. The one on the right front of the dually broke off 3 months after driving. The tire pretty much chewed it up when the bracket broke. The problem is the plastic is very thin and it cannot withstand 65 mile an hour winds pushing it in the opposite direction. Poor design.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:28 AM   #19

THOR #7430
As for the installation there's just two screws at the top that screw right into the chassis and then two bolts that hold the horizontal bar to the fiberglass wheel well
Old 03-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #20

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I had a 2017 Chateau 23U and now have a 2018 Chateau 31E, and they both had the mud flap issues. It's a terrible design -- just a couple of small screws that hold the bracket to the sidewall on one side. Those screws rip out and the flap rubs on the tires. I used zip ties from a hole in the flap to the frame to keep them from being pushed back into the tires, and I reinforced the mountings to the sidewall using more/bigger screws and gorilla tape.