Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2018, 02:05 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Wisconsin
THOR #3807
ice maker water shut off

Hello everyone.
Just picked up our 2019 Miramar 35.2.
In the flurry of the pdi, I can not remember anything about the residential refrigerator water valve for the ice maker. I could not find anything in the bag of manuals that came with the rv. I just want to make sure it is off or able to be drained for the winter. I have looked around the inside, outside, and the cargo areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:09 AM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
it will be somewhere very near the fridge... mine is next door under the bathroom sink/cabinet...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 10:02 PM   #3

Model: challenger 37FH
State: Delaware
THOR #13399
Ice maker shut off

Pull both drawers under the cook top completely out ,look on floor back at edge of wall mine is a chrome valve like you would see under your sink at home
Old 12-31-2018, 10:20 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Mine was directly under the fridge...removed the pots-n-pans drawer...easy to get to.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:30 PM   #5

THOR #3807
I found it. Thank you to everyone who sent me clues.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #6

THOR #11130
Post your mysterious location for others to see and learn from.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
In the 2018 Thor Palazzo the shut off is below the stove - take the bottom drawer out and the valve is right there - I know because we have a leak in the ice maker line or valve and I had to shut it off. There is also the blind panel below the last drawer that has two plugs covering to screws that you can take off and get to the valve as well. Had to build a platform to roll the refrigerator out on and let me tell you, it's pretty well anchored top and bottom - lot's of work to get it out, but with service centers charging by the hour, I figure I saved $300 plus doing the repair myself.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:19 AM   #8

THOR #3807
Found valve

Just an update on where it was. We found it after pulling the drawers out from under the cook top as other owners have said. As stated it is way back against the wall. I say way back because I have short arms and it is VERY hard to reach. I see a home mod in my future to make it easier to get to. I want to thank the people that sent me the clues. This forum has great information and great posters that help out.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #9

THOR #11130
Regarding draining for winter, it will not drain down. I ran the pink antifreeze through the ice maker when winterizing. Takes a little time to get it through enough cycles but when you see solid, pink ice...you're home free. It's a little big weird to get pink ice cubes when de-winterizing but it's the only way to do it...as far as I was told. It will take two to three cycles to remove all of it and you will get slush ice near the last pass. Tempting to eat it but don't.
Old 01-30-2019, 03:19 PM   #10

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Regarding draining for winter, it will not drain down. I ran the pink antifreeze through the ice maker when winterizing. Takes a little time to get it through enough cycles but when you see solid, pink ice...you're home free. It's a little big weird to get pink ice cubes when de-winterizing but it's the only way to do it...as far as I was told. It will take two to three cycles to remove all of it and you will get slush ice near the last pass. Tempting to eat it but don't.
I use air to blow mine out however the antifreeze might be the overall best way as I want to get antifreeze through the washer anyway
Old 01-30-2019, 05:31 PM   #11

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I use air as well. You should be able to push air through the lines just as you would pink stuff and much easier to put back in operation in the spring.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:01 PM   #12

THOR #11130
Air will not go up through the ice maker fill line if the valve to fill the "ice tray" isn't open. This valve only opens up for a second or two every hour or two just to fill the tray.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:25 PM   #13

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
You "see solid pink ice". What kind of antifreeze you use that freezes solid?

Bill
Old 01-30-2019, 07:10 PM   #14

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Air will not go up through the ice maker fill line if the valve to fill the "ice tray" isn't open. This valve only opens up for a second or two every hour or two just to fill the tray.
If you remove the ice maker front cover, and insert a short wire jumper into a couple of the holes (I think A and E, but probably wrong-check you-tube) it will open the solenoid to let water, air, antifreeze, just run through as long as you have pressure. Much easier and quicker than just letting it cycle.
Mike
Old 01-30-2019, 09:07 PM   #15

THOR #4488
Quote:
I simply hook the air compressor up and after everything else is cleared, let the ice maker run through its cycles throughout the day, while cleaning the RV for storage. The last ice made is just a sliver of ice. I've used that process the last 3 seasons and works well.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:16 PM   #16

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
You "see solid pink ice". What kind of antifreeze you use that freezes solid?

Bill

It's in the process, before the antifreeze gets in 100%. I had the same funny thought!! Pink ice??? Isn't this stuff "not suppose to freeze"?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #17

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Quote:
I use a jumper to actuate both valves and do the ice maker fill valve three times, the water dispenser is easy

Neighbors just hook the air up overnight and apparently it worked

I like to see and hear it

Since the antifreeze isn't potable I have shied away from that

Do get rid of the residual odor of the antifreeze in the cold water lines, so it don't affect my coffee. I use peroxide in the water tank

Flush for as long as any odor is present long after the pink color is gone
Old 05-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #18

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Texas
THOR #218
Owners Information

I know this isn't a direct answer to the ice maker valve question, but more of general information. I am passing this on as I received it from others on this forum. If you will go to https://www.thormotorcoach.com/owners/, click on the Owner Resource button, create an account with your VIN, there is all sorts of information available on your RV. Also, if you send a request to THOR with VIN, and request diagrams, they will send you all the diagrams you can possibly think of, from electrical to plumbing to heating, etc. Hope this helps.
5 Star Tuner, Blue Ox, Towtector
PMSPKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #19

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
it actually goes to slushy mess, never freezes and as all RV antifreeze in non toxic, and once you run the ice maker for a couple of days, the water and system are fine. I'm not sold on the air pressure to the Ice maker - did use that method of winterizing my 5th wheel, but didn't have an Ice maker. Washer was the same type issue, got pink wash water. As I had to have to have a leaking the Ice Maker fixed this year, my guess is that the previous owner did not do a proper job.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:30 PM   #20

THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
it actually goes to slushy mess, never freezes and as all RV antifreeze in non toxic, and once you run the ice maker for a couple of days, the water and system are fine. I'm not sold on the air pressure to the Ice maker - did use that method of winterizing my 5th wheel, but didn't have an Ice maker. Washer was the same type issue, got pink wash water. As I had to have to have a leaking the Ice Maker fixed this year, my guess is that the previous owner did not do a proper job.
I am just curious as to your issue with the air system of cleaning all the lines for winterizing. I just pulled mine out of storage and got it ready to travel. I've used the air pressure system for the last 4 seasons and it works great.

As I said, the last thing I do is the ice maker by just letting it run through several cycles. I set the pressure on the compressor to 45 pounds and leave it connected until I'm done.

I like the idea of nothing EVER in my water lines but water or air. Nothing to flush out.

Tags
35.2, ice maker, miramar, winterization