Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 09:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
My 2019 thor 29m hurrice review..

Well, I went and done it.... bought a 2019 Thor 29m hurricane..

and here's my review...it will be kinda two parts as the chassis is ford..

I've owned quiet a few different rv's so not new to the show, I expect less and hope for more..So here goes...

I'll start with the good,Sitting in the drivers seat brought a big smile...some one did their home work,.. you can see all the gauges and switches without cranking your neck side to side.. all are lighted and they are all in reach...and do you like cup holders? there are 5 up front!!! and the good part... cups actually fit in them....top all that off with a 6 way power seat...

here's another thing that was finally fixed... placement of the leveling monitor... right there on the dash... no more standing on your head or climbing under the dash with a flashlight...with a push of the lighted dash switch two led overhead lights light up..and they are placed where you can actually read a map or something with out the shadow of your head blocking...
they put two , 2speed fans to keep the air moving on hot days should work out well in the az heat..another big like... all the tvs are on an inverter,as is the dvd player... one thing I liked about the 29m, they put the outside tv middle of the coach...and it is behind the bath vanity,..so it doesn't push the dinette out in the walkway too far...plenty of cabinettes… but we used 2 of the bed room drawers for kitchen items...and there is no pantry...so it takes a while to load the normal kitchen stuff..back to the bath... the shower is a little small, and I found myself standing sideways,... but the showerhead is hand held... so no biggie,.. the porcelain toilet was a nice touch.. the bath is lacking of towel racks so I will be adding one in the shower to hang wet swimwear and used towels..

on to the bedroom, nice sliding door separate the main area,..and a king size bed...there is a big storage area under the bed. I like the window in the back of the coach also

over all fit and finish seems to be pare for an affordable coach..a big dislike was where they decided to put the living room tv...behind your head while sitting at the dinette...that and it wiggles all around when you drive...looks to be a problem waiting to happen... so I took it down...I'm in the process of re-installing it on the dinette wall so both can see it at the same time.. I would like to see thor put a sofa with footrest to make lounging more comfortable...It's some type of fold out bed that we will probley never use,.. that and the over the cab bed... but as is it will probley sleep 8 or more... again,.. not try'n to compare with top of the line coaches...but I feel thor did very well at the price point...over all... very happy

Old 02-05-2019, 09:46 PM   #2

THOR #12329
here's a little horrible...… the wind noise might as well not put a windshield....I haven't figured out where "ALL" the noise is coming from.... but will say this...I bought a new Fleetwood,winniebago and a forestriver fr3... they all have it and there is no reason other than someone not doing there work...I fixed all of them by sealing the windshield pillers, and where the dash mounts...on the thor… I belive that part of the noise is wind under the hood going up the tubing that is not sealed off, that and who ever is the one putting the sealing foam is spending too much time on their phone and not properly doing their job...big holes in the foam sealing job that shouldn't be there

next, and this was on my 27b as well...the sliding windows don't latch and whistle like crazy....and If you are gonna tell me to keep slamming the window till it close's.... or breaks.... save it.. I found out what was wrong... and fixed it.. the swipe that they put on the bottom is too big for the side...there are some rivets on the side that push the swipe out too far...slaming the window crushes the swipe...making it work a little better.. but.. if it slams into one of the rivets the glass will shatter ,..

so the fix is to pry the swipe out with a pick and trim the two little edges off....now the window works as it should, latches with out slamming and doesn't whistle...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04574.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	15538   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04575.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	15539  

Old 02-05-2019, 09:50 PM   #3

THOR #12329
In the second pic you can see where I trimmed one side off for reference, but you have to do bothsides...after doing this, and it works as it should...I think that you could just trim out the section where the rivets are and it would still work...
Old 02-05-2019, 10:12 PM   #4

THOR #12329
so heres my chassis review...looks to me like ford has been listening and reading the forums...and a lot has changed in the last few years..here's the way it was told to me.... ford used to have a outside contractor doing the f53 chassis...a few years ago ford took it back in house...one of the problems with the f53 was the harsh ride...the bilstien shocks that ford used were valved wat too stiff, every crack or tar strip was felt through out the whole coach... jarring and banging down the road...so I called bilstien...they sell shocks to replace the ford valve spec shocks,making a more pleasant ride...so I had 2 2018, and 2 2019's... the first 2019 (Winnebago).. before I even took delivery, I ordered sumos, roadmaster sway bars..new bilstien shocks...coach shows up and I head down to the shop to do all the install...but I notice this.... coach rides good, and actually.... needs nothing...but,... I have everything waiting... so to the shop I went...I had everyone at the shop attact this project...guys working everywhere at the same time...one is my son,... " Hey dad, look at this...these shocks are different than all the others we have done and they aren't yellow... they're black!"....eyebrow raised I said just put the new ones on...so after all the things done...no real difference....

as is the new coach,...rides smooth for a coach, rolls through most everything... when the coach hits a hill and start lugging, it down shifts right when it should,and stays in 5th, and stays there till 5th start to lug then to 4th.. on a recent trip to havasu and back from vegas, only on the real long 6% grades did it shift to 4th and that was towing a fiat 500... so if you look under and see black shocks... save your money...
Old 02-05-2019, 11:36 PM   #5

THOR #12329
opps, for got part,,,weight….ssssso figuring the yellow sticker is pretty close, it says the coach weighed about 15,800 lbs, I loaded up every thing, wife and I went to the scales...filled up with fuel and rolled across the scales....still in good shape...steer axel 5,960 lbs...drive axel, 10,600.... and total weight...16,560 lbs so I could still add 1440 lbs....but i'm saving that for tow capacity
Old 02-05-2019, 11:42 PM   #6

THOR #12329
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC04580.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	15540  
Old 02-06-2019, 03:26 AM   #7

THOR #12329
LOL... try'n to figure out what's worse, my spelling, or proof reading

title should say hurricane
Old 02-06-2019, 03:35 AM   #8

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
lots of fun mods to. Have fun

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
Old 02-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
No one is reading this...we're all still sitting in the other room you started...waiting on this. BTW...your GVWR is different than your GCWR. Gross Combined Weight Rating will allow more toys. One refers to the MH itself...the other refers to any tow combinations, which include your toad.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 02-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #10

THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
No one is reading this...we're all still sitting in the other room you started...waiting on this. BTW...your GVWR is different than your GCWR. Gross Combined Weight Rating will allow more toys. One refers to the MH itself...the other refers to any tow combinations, which include your toad.
Well, you are part right... but tongue weight of the trailer is counted as gvwr… my trailer has about 500 lbs of tongue weight, so my gvw is gonna go up to 17,000, that leaves me 6000 lbs on the trailer axels....I always weigh again after I hook up the trailer..towing the fiat 500, not a issue as the hurricane will flat tow about 6500lbs as loaded now..my wife weighs about 115 lbs full of water,.... so if I make her stay home I could tow more...
Old 02-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #11

THOR #11130
Curious as to what trailer type you pull. I will tow Jeep Wrangler on a 16' car hauler vs. flat tow. Tow capacity is 10K with hitch rating at 1K. Trailer allows more options for more junk, i.e., ladder, portable generators, fuel jugs...whatever is specific to the trip. My wife is a swimsuit model...no chance of leaving her behind, behind...literally!
Old 02-06-2019, 01:50 PM   #12

THOR #12329
anyway.... this is a thread about my coach...2019 thor 29m hurricane and what I think of it, good and the bad... over all, I gotta say this … thor has really stepped up their game as far as QC goes and I really think they have people reading these threads and making adjustment...one of which will be the window issue.... pretty easy fix... but you have to kinda side with Thor on this.... who would think a supplier would sell a Manifactor windows that don't close... ..mine close now with ease as they should... but that's how they should work from the window supplier...
Old 02-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #13

THOR #11130
You are correct in the comments about Thor stepping up. We did a factory tour and there was so much said about the forum...what they've learned from their mistakes and the research of things they never researched before (windows, latches, etc.). The guys from warranty have weekly meetings with the designers and the builders and review issues.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:53 PM   #14

THOR #12329
Quote:
Some sites have a specific place for owner reviews, so I asked where... beings I want this thread to be helpful to those looking to buy a 29m and wonder what issues they have... a specific title and thread is more what I would look for... so say some one does a search about thor 29m hurrice down the road this will pop up..I'm taking the time to do this to be helpful to others...
Old 02-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #15

THOR #12329
Quote:
Curious as to what trailer type you pull. I will tow Jeep Wrangler on a 16' car hauler vs. flat tow. Tow capacity is 10K with hitch rating at 1K. Trailer allows more options for more junk, i.e., ladder, portable generators, fuel jugs...whatever is specific to the trip. My wife is a swimsuit model...no chance of leaving her behind, behind...literally!
I have a 22' triple axel trailer that I had custom built, I did the inside my self with two sofa fold down beds..drop down tv and such, we haul 2 rzr 1000's to go ofrading… wife won't ride with me and wants to drive her own
Old 02-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #16

THOR #12329
Quote:
Pics???
Old 02-06-2019, 03:40 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thanks for the very thorough review!
But are you going to be changing your screen name?
Old 02-06-2019, 03:55 PM   #18

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasruv24.1 View Post
Pics???

This is as good as it gets!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-11-18 14.17.25(1).jpg
Views:	201
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	15549  
Old 02-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1549468764
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gunny 02.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	15550  
Old 02-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #20

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Great review. Thanks.

Can you post some pictures as well?

Yeah I think in a couple of years you will see the QC improve for most manufactures since their competition is stepping it up as well. So thats good news for us consumers.

Some of QC stuff should have never made it out of the factory. Most of it them were simple fixes on my RV but its stuff we should have to do (or have done) after we purchase the RV.

Plus I would think the B class would have better over all quiality since most if it is done by Ford, MB etc and all Thor has to do is deck out the inside (for the most part).

This might cause the consumer to demand higher quality C and A class?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Closed Thread