Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2023, 12:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis 24.1
State: Utah
THOR #2474
Send a message via Skype™ to mhbell
Need chassis suspension Advice

I have a 2016 Thor Axis 24.1 with 2015 E350 ford chassis. Coming home from a 450 mile trip we encountered heavy crosswinds from Wendover Nevada across the bonneville salt flats to SLC UT. I had no problem handling the motor home, but my arm is still sore from maintaining and staying in the right lane. This was on I-80 east bound and the crosswind was from the south. There was a storm coming in. I have installed steer safe and a Track (panhard) Bar and koni shocks on F53 chassis but never worked on a E350 chassis. What would you recommend for better handling.
TIA
Mel

Old 08-24-2023, 09:35 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #26214
Hey Mel,
Based on what you wrote, I could only suggest a better brand of tire. You covered just about everything else. Keep in mind you are a 10'x35' wall traveling down the road. There will be adjustments. Cheap tires can make control difficult.
Safe travels
Old 08-24-2023, 11:39 AM   #3

Model: Windsport 34F
State: Alberta
THOR #22490
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1anchor View Post
Hey Mel,
Based on what you wrote, I could only suggest a better brand of tire. You covered just about everything else. Keep in mind you are a 10'x35' wall traveling down the road. There will be adjustments. Cheap tires can make control difficult.
Safe travels
It reads to me that he made the changes to a previous F53 model and is asking for advice on his current unit.

2015 Thor Windsport 34F = empty pockets
2010 Kia Soul
REME veteran
Trophy1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 02:00 PM   #4

THOR #2474
Quote:
Originally Posted by c1anchor View Post
Hey Mel,
Safe travels
I'm only 25 ft long and I have good Michlin Tires..
Mel
Old 08-24-2023, 02:04 PM   #5

THOR #2474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy1200 View Post
It reads to me that he made the changes to a previous F53 model and is asking for advice on his current unit.
Kev you are correct. The Axis 24.1 with the E350 chassis is a whole different beast, It sets low to the ground not easy to crawl under. I've heard of others complaining about the handling of the axis. especially in wind or semis passing.
Mel
Old 08-24-2023, 02:13 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Being of its age it could be worn out rear springs, crushed front springs, any suspension part consumable or otherwise.
It could just be seat time needed.

Absolutely positively no way to tell on line.

Check the speed, rpm and steering wheel angle and rear tire pressure in the picture.
My 24.1 handles like a dream
But
Wind be wind. No alterations change this.
Butt-time rules all.
(This picture was i80 eastbound while trying to outrun a storm. We outran the cold front slush but we ran the winds for hundreds of miles.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1030211106b~01~01.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	43289  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 02:29 PM   #7

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
I'm only 25 ft long and I have good Michlin Tires..
Mel
Some of the same things you did to your F53 would be applicable to your current unit. in particular a safe-t-steer steering stabilizer would help. If you do not have a rear trac bar installing one would also help. I do not know if the Cheep Handling fix is applicable to the E350 chassis. But certainly, stiffer sway bars and upgraded shocks will help. also make sure your load is evenly distributed. If too much of your weight is carried behind the rear wheels, that can have a detrimental impact on your directional stability. And finally you need to have a reasonable understanding of your tolerance for driving in those conditions. For example, if I were told to expect 20 - 40 MPH cross winds. I would just wait for the wind to subside. All the suspension modifications will not mitigate cross winds that could be strong enough to tip your coach over. There was a news story last March about a diesel pusher that was pushed over on its side while parked at a welcome center in New Mexico.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 02:41 PM   #8

THOR #2474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Being of its age it could be worn out rear springs, crushed front springs, any suspension part consumable or otherwise.
It could just be seat time needed.

Absolutely positively no way to tell on line.

Check the speed, rpm and steering wheel angle in the picture.
My 24.1 handles like a dream
But
Wind be wind. No alterations change this.
Butt-time rules all.
(This picture was i80 eastbound while trying to outrun a storm. We outran the snow but we ran the winds for hundreds of miles.)
That Picture could be me as that was how it was traveling I-80 across the salt flats. We were trying to beat a storm too. My suspension should not be worn as it only has 22K miles on it. I will check anyway. It does handle OK But I think it could be better. Thanks
Mel
Old 08-24-2023, 02:50 PM   #9

THOR #2474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Some of the same things you did to your F53 would be applicable to your current unit. in particular a safe-t-steer steering stabilizer would help. If you do not have a rear trac bar installing one would also help. I do not know if the Cheep Handling fix is applicable to the E350 chassis. But certainly, stiffer sway bars and upgraded shocks will help. also make sure your load is evenly distributed. If too much of your weight is carried behind the rear wheels, that can have a detrimental impact on your directional stability. And finally you need to have a reasonable understanding of your tolerance for driving in those conditions. For example, if I were told to expect 20 - 40 MPH cross winds. I would just wait for the wind to subside. All the suspension modifications will not mitigate cross winds that could be strong enough to tip your coach over. There was a news story last March about a diesel pusher that was pushed over on its side while parked at a welcome center in New Mexico.
Thanks Dan. I might add that I have over 50 years of RVing and have owned all types. So I'm not new to RVing and am use to all kinds of conditions while driving. The unit only has 22K miles on it so the suspension should not be worn out. I was mainly wanting to know what others use on their Axis such as "safety Steer" and others. I am aware of the cheap handling fix and others.
Mel
Old 08-24-2023, 03:08 PM   #10

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Mine is like no other 24.1 suspension in maybe the entire world.
If your trip equalled my trip, no suspension change will better your handling.

Your skill countered the suspension wonkiness.
You're able
You'll likely NEVER see as bad of wind again.
You can make it more care free but that will just let your skills go dormant.

Seat time conquers all...and you conquered.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 06:50 PM   #11
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
If all your driving has been comfortable with this RV and only this section with this cross wind bothered you, you need to know just how fast the wind was blowing. I always check for projected wind. If it is supposed to be 40 mph side winds with higher gusts, I just stay a day. You need to know what conditions you do not feel comfortable with and adjust.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:50 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
No amount suspension modifications will overcome heavy winds hitting the side of a coach. Like duckie's picture, on one of my trips to Roswell I hade to hold the wheel like that for almost 200 miles. It's just part of driving across a weather front on the plains.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 08:16 PM   #13

THOR #2474
not uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
If all your driving has been comfortable with this RV and only this section with this cross wind bothered you, you need to know just how fast the wind was blowing. I always check for projected wind. If it is supposed to be 40 mph side winds with higher gusts, I just stay a day. You need to know what conditions you do not feel comfortable with and adjust.
Its not that I was uncomfortable, I've been RVing for 50 plus years. I am use to driving in all conditions. This is the smallest lightest Class A I've owned and just wondered if there was any suspension fixes for handling. Other than the wind it handles well and is very nimble. I monified every F-53 motor home chassis on every class a that I owed and got improved handling. I never modified a E350 chassis.
Mel
Old 08-30-2023, 08:49 PM   #14

Model: AXIS 25.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #6051
Have you had a frontend alignment? That always helps.
Seems that coaches with side slides have BIG problems dealing with crosswinds.
Too much weight amidships.
Old 09-09-2023, 03:32 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #2013
Mhbell

I, too, have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 that I purchased in 2015. After 8 years of poor handling and with a pending 3,000 mile trip ahead, I decided to do something about it. Many on this forum have suggested to make one change at a time to determine what difference each change would make. That makes a lot of sense. However, I decided to go a different direction and do a major overhaul on the handling and suspension system all at once. I scheduled an appointment with Safe-T-Plus in Tallapoosa, Georgia and had them to install their steering stabilizer. (They had to remove my old Roadmaster steering stabilizer first. ) In addition, I had them to replace both front and rear sway bars with much beefier ones. They also replaced the original shocks with Koni shocks and installed a rear rac bar. In addition, I removed the original Michelin LTX tires and replace them with Michelin XPS RIB tires that have an extra belt in them. They are a stiffer tire and support the weight of the RV much better. I also had a front end alignment with the new tires.

All these changes made a significant difference in how my RV rides and handles. I am now on that 3,000 mile trip. I still feel the effect of wind gusts and semis passing me, but their effect is noticeably diminished. I feel more confident and in greater control when I feel the push of the wind or trucks passing by. The adjustments I have to make are greatly reduced. I am no longer surprised by how much the RV moves and wiggles from those effects. I can now drive with only one hand on the steering wheel.

Does my RV handle like a car. The answer is “no”. However, the driving experience is much more enjoyable, and I feel more confident driving. The RV just feels more stable all around on the road. The swaying and porpoising I had experienced in the past are all but gone. My wife also enjoys a much more comfortable ride in her passenger seat.

Do I feel the expense was worth it? Yes. Would I like to see even more improvement? Yes, but a big difference has been made already. I am not sure if it can get much better. Would I do it again knowing what I know now? Absolutely!

I hope this helps you in your decision making. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:23 AM   #16

THOR #2474
What I needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewby View Post
Mhbell

I, too, have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 that I purchased in 2015. After 8 years of poor handling and with a pending 3,000 mile trip ahead, I decided to do something about it. Many on this forum have suggested to make one change at a time to determine what difference each change would make. That makes a lot of sense. However, I decided to go a different direction and do a major overhaul on the handling and suspension system all at once. I scheduled an appointment with Safe-T-Plus in Tallapoosa, Georgia and had them to install their steering stabilizer. (They had to remove my old Roadmaster steering stabilizer first. ) In addition, I had them to replace both front and rear sway bars with much beefier ones. They also replaced the original shocks with Koni shocks and installed a rear rac bar. In addition, I removed the original Michelin LTX tires and replace them with Michelin XPS RIB tires that have an extra belt in them. They are a stiffer tire and support the weight of the RV much better. I also had a front end alignment with the new tires.

All these changes made a significant difference in how my RV rides and handles. I am now on that 3,000 mile trip. I still feel the effect of wind gusts and semis passing me, but their effect is noticeably diminished. I feel more confident and in greater control when I feel the push of the wind or trucks passing by. The adjustments I have to make are greatly reduced. I am no longer surprised by how much the RV moves and wiggles from those effects. I can now drive with only one hand on the steering wheel.

Does my RV handle like a car. The answer is “no”. However, the driving experience is much more enjoyable, and I feel more confident driving. The RV just feels more stable all around on the road. The swaying and porpoising I had experienced in the past are all but gone. My wife also enjoys a much more comfortable ride in her passenger seat.

Do I feel the expense was worth it? Yes. Would I like to see even more improvement? Yes, but a big difference has been made already. I am not sure if it can get much better. Would I do it again knowing what I know now? Absolutely!

I hope this helps you in your decision making. Good luck in whatever you decide.
This is the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you
Mel
Old 10-09-2023, 03:24 PM   #17

Model: Chateau 31E
State: Indiana
THOR #30479
Good info, thanks. I'm getting ready to do a similar thing.
Small world, my wife's maiden name is Newby.

Joe
Old 10-09-2023, 08:23 PM   #18

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewby View Post
Mhbell

Add rar trac bar gets rid of truck drive by
Old 10-10-2023, 03:46 AM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016Chateau View Post
Good info, thanks. I'm getting ready to do a similar thing.
Small world, my wife's maiden name is Newby.

Joe
Joe, she must be a great wife. Newbys are rare.

Tags
chassis suspension, e350