Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Need help creating PDI checklist for ACE 30.3

Ok, looks like I will be picking my 2018 ACE 30.3 from MHSRV the week of the 18th, assuming it's delivered in the next 10 days or so.

I've read through Ed Felker's incredible Axis/Vegas manual, and with some modifications, will rely heavily on this PDI checklist. I originally planned to get a Vegas 25.3 but decided it was too small for two of us and two large poodles.

Ed does a really good job covering very thoroughly the basics, but reading through here on some very specific problems at PDI or very early failures, like house batteries being charged at too high a rate, I'm hoping that those of you that have gone through this and had PDI or early failures can help me list out the critical systems that I should be checking out.

As mentioned, Ed's manual takes a test everything approach. Cook on stove. Fill fresh water tank 1/3 full and test water pump. Test with city water. Dump tanks. Make sure Y swivels. Check all cabinets and drawers. Etc.

Some of the stuff I'm adding to a separate list that aren't listed in Ed's (mostly due to Axis/Vegas not having things like inverters and levelers):
  1. Check battery charging voltage on Shore, generator and chassis engine running (what is proper voltage, how do you test this with multimeter).
  2. Check to insure all outlets that should be on the inverter, are on the inverter by testing not connected to shore or having the engine/generator running (not sure if inverter needs to be turned on)
  3. Check that the leveling system
  4. Insure that the black tank flush actually flushes tank and not undersid of coach (reports of them not hooked up).
  5. Check to make sure shower drains properly and doesn't leak underneath shower (I think I can pull out dog feeding track to check and not wait for water to migrate)

Old 09-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #2

THOR #8012
Check that ladder is securely anchored to back wall and roof.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #3

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Those are all good recommendations to add. Especially good is verifying what the actual charging voltage is coming from the converter. I will add that to my manual in the next revision.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:34 PM   #4

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Those are all good recommendations to add. Especially good is verifying what the actual charging voltage is coming from the converter. I will add that to my manual in the next revision.
As so many others have said, and I don't know if I mentioned several months ago when I first reviewed it, awesome job compiling and maintaining that manual.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:55 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
It looks like you are going to have one heck of a pdi. Do you plan on providing the dealer with a copy prior to the pdi, letting them know these are the items you will be looking at. Make sure that your dealer has water hook up and sewer hook up at pdi area before going other wise that part will not be able to be done.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:48 AM   #6

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
It looks like you are going to have one heck of a pdi. Do you plan on providing the dealer with a copy prior to the pdi, letting them know these are the items you will be looking at. Make sure that your dealer has water hook up and sewer hook up at pdi area before going other wise that part will not be able to be done.
I'm buying from MHSRV and plan to spend two nights, unless there are problems that they don't fix in that amount of time.

I know they have water and a dump station. I'm not sure if they have one at each location, or just a centralized area (I think it's at a central water/dump location).
Old 09-15-2017, 10:49 PM   #7

THOR #8012
Ok, when checking voltage, some questions.

1. Is it just a matter of having a multi-meter in DC mode and then putting a probe on the positive and negative to get the reading?

2. What should it read with chassis engine reading if it's properly charging? What about on shore power and generator?

Thanks
Old 09-15-2017, 11:41 PM   #8

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
We bought our coach from MSHRV, great experience and great staff who will take care of any problems you might have.

Congratulations and best wishes!!!
Old 09-16-2017, 12:32 AM   #9

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
We bought our coach from MSHRV, great experience and great staff who will take care of any problems you might have.

Congratulations and best wishes!!!
Thanks. Based on what I've read, I'm hoping for an above average experience based on what other MHSRV customers have posted.

I'm going to spend two nights there, and then transition up to treetops in Arlington, because I'm going to do a two day RVSchool class (never driven one of these beasts before, only been a passenger). That will give me two more nights of shake down. If anything crops up over the weekend, I'll run back on Monday, if not head back to Arkansas about 400 miles to home.

Equal parts excitement, anxiety and dread!!
Old 09-16-2017, 01:02 AM   #10

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Thanks. Based on what I've read, I'm hoping for an above average experience based on what other MHSRV customers have posted.

I'm going to spend two nights there, and then transition up to treetops in Arlington, because I'm going to do a two day RVSchool class (never driven one of these beasts before, only been a passenger). That will give me two more nights of shake down. If anything crops up over the weekend, I'll run back on Monday, if not head back to Arkansas about 400 miles to home.

Equal parts excitement, anxiety and dread!!
No worries, be happy! Seriously, there is a learning curve, everyone starts out as a rookie! Driving the RV is just like driving a big car, automatic, cruise control, and power brakes. Take your time, if you're going slower than everyone else, they'll go around. You can't accelerate as quickly and you can't stop as quickly as a car, again take your time until you get adjusted to the difference. Make SURE you have your mirrors adjusted properly! Don't forget about tail swing, go to YouTube or google it so you know what it is and how it affects your turns. You can use your convex mirrors to see here you are in the lane until you get used to driving, after doing this for many years I still do that from time to time.

After a few miles you will get comfortable and start enjoying yourself. You have a great view thru that big windshield, enjoy it!!! Best wishes, and have FUN!!!
Old 09-16-2017, 01:29 AM   #11

THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
No worries, be happy! Seriously, there is a learning curve, everyone starts out as a rookie! Driving the RV is just like driving a big car, automatic, cruise control, and power brakes. Take your time, if you're going slower than everyone else, they'll go around. You can't accelerate as quickly and you can't stop as quickly as a car, again take your time until you get adjusted to the difference. Make SURE you have your mirrors adjusted properly! Don't forget about tail swing, go to YouTube or google it so you know what it is and how it affects your turns. You can use your convex mirrors to see here you are in the lane until you get used to driving, after doing this for many years I still do that from time to time.

After a few miles you will get comfortable and start enjoying yourself. You have a great view thru that big windshield, enjoy it!!! Best wishes, and have FUN!!!

The excited part of me says, thanks!! The anxiety and dread part says, "hey, he makes it sound pretty easy..."