Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2018, 12:13 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
New 2018 Thor Outlaw 29H

So been on the site a few weeks now and posted a little as I was preparing to purchase an Outlaw 29H. Thanks to everyone who posts here and helped me with my research before pulling the trigger!!!

I have a Can-Am Spyder and my wife and I have been talking about a toy hauler. We were going to wait a few years until closer to retirement but.....

My wife wanted a camper / toy hauler and did not think the Outlaw would work for her because she wanted a bedroom. We looked at a 2015 29H with 8900 miles and when she saw the garage had the king bed and could be setup as a separate bedroom once the Spyder was out of the garage, she thought it would be ideal.

We almost pulled the trigger on the 2015 and then I came a across a new 2018 left-over in eastern PA about 5 hours away. After seeing the 2018 had a lot of upgrades over the 2015 and the Spyder would no longer fit in the 2019 29J we worked out a good deal for the 2018 and not much more than I would have paid for the 2015.... all things considered.

I was worried before picking it up because of some of the issues people reported with the Outlaw's and some of the bashing about quality. We picked it up last weekend and camped for one night on the way home. I have to admit this 29H was not as bad as I thought it would be after reading some of the horror stories.... although I did get burned with the San-T-Flush system in the shower wall and leaking all over the floor. But I could see the improvements between the 2015 and the 2018 so I am glad that I went for new vs used.

There were some other minor issues but they are either being taken care of by the dealer or myself. The dealer seems to be pretty responsive so I am happy with them so far. We are going to use it a few more times before the end of the season and make a list of warranty work for the dealer to get done before winter.

I was a little surprised that the unit only came with one set of keys! I'm thinking you spend this much $$$ and Thor can't give you two sets of keys?

I ordered two sets of key blanks for the E450 and the camper door and had them cut by a locksmith before we left for Shenandoah National Park this weekend for our first real trip in it with the Spyder.

I figured I would program the transponder key myself since the Fords are pretty easy. When I got the keys home from the locksmith I thought I was out of luck because the Ford procedure says you need two working keys and I only had one so I figured I was off to the dealer or back to the locksmith to have the new keys programmed.

I put one of the new keys into the ignition just to make sure it would turn and I was absolutely shocked when it started!!!

I then grabbed the second new key and sure enough it fired right up!!!

You mean to tell me that Ford / Thor are not using a transponder key in these coaches??? That seems crazy to me!

Since I only got the one aftermarket keyless entry fob, I also ordered some generic Ford 315Mhz remote keyless entries. I tried to program them using the Ford programming process but it won't go into programming mode after cycling the ignition switch 8 times.

Obviously the E450 Chassis that Thor gets from Ford is pretty stripped down and Thor handles much of the electronics. I am just surprised a transponder key is not used.

Anyway.... we had a great time this weekend. And we managed to see a bear crossing the road while riding Skyline Drive this morning before coming home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7559.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	12480  

Old 08-27-2018, 01:05 AM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Judge - enjoy!! The bear looks GREAT!
Old 08-27-2018, 01:11 AM   #3

Model: 2018 Challenger 37 YT
State: Kentucky
THOR #8995
Keys

Our 2018 Thor Challenger had a second set of keys in the Thor bag that came with the unit. The Ford key was in the Ford book.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:37 AM   #4

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEroad View Post
Our 2018 Thor Challenger had a second set of keys in the Thor bag that came with the unit. The Ford key was in the Ford book.
When the dealer handed me the keys, I asked about a second set and he said there is only one set.

I checked the Thor Bag and the Ford book and no other keys.

I may give Thor a call tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:29 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
I feel for you with the key and fob issues. I too had the same issues when I picked up my used 2015 Chateau 28F. I got additional keys made and then purchased a fob identical to the the one that came with the coach. After many unsuccessful attempts to program it I called the manufacturer of the fob. He explained I need to press the reset button located somewhere on the dash.. I asked where it might be and he said it could be anywhere.. So, if you find out where the reset button might be or how to program the fob, please share it. It would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-27-2018, 09:05 AM   #6

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronmac View Post
I feel for you with the key and fob issues. I too had the same issues when I picked up my used 2015 Chateau 28F. I got additional keys made and then purchased a fob identical to the the one that came with the coach. After many unsuccessful attempts to program it I called the manufacturer of the fob. He explained I need to press the reset button located somewhere on the dash.. I asked where it might be and he said it could be anywhere.. So, if you find out where the reset button might be or how to program the fob, please share it. It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the tip!

I put an Alarm System in my snowmobile trailer last year and had to go through a similar process to program the remotes that came with it. I know exactly what he means by the reset button an what it looks like.

It is a small round button that is black and he is right.... it could be on the dash, under the dash or even under the hood.

I will see if I can find it and if I do, I will report back as it may give you an idea where to look on yours.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:20 AM   #7

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
If Thor built yours like my 2017. You'll find the security module behind the drivers side kick panel. The button and led lamp is just wrapped up with a wire tie next to it.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:45 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Congratulations, and welcome to our Merry Band of Outlaws!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #9

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Congratulations, and welcome to our Merry Band of Outlaws!

Thanks Bob!

You were a big help sending me the pics to confirm the Spyder would fit in the 29H. That made me feel comfortable enough to work out a deal with a dealer who was 5 hours away.

I appreciate the guidance on the ramps as well...... thanks for all your help!

Chris
Old 08-27-2018, 12:46 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
When we bought our new unit they gave us one set of keys. We asked where the second set was and was told there was only one set. Our answer was “When you find the second set we will sign the papers!” They found the second set.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:55 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Thanks Bob!

You were a big help sending me the pics to confirm the Spyder would fit in the 29H. That made me feel comfortable enough to work out a deal with a dealer who was 5 hours away.

I appreciate the guidance on the ramps as well...... thanks for all your help!

Chris
Hi Chris!
It is a really tight fit; but it does work!
You'll have about an inch of clearance at each end: wedge a block of foam between the nose of the Bike, and the door...
Make sure that you pull in far enough so that the rear fender doesn't rub against the party deck railings...
Old 08-27-2018, 01:25 PM   #12

THOR #12751
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Hi Chris!
It is a really tight fit; but it does work!
You'll have about an inch of clearance at each end: wedge a block of foam between the nose of the Bike, and the door...
Make sure that you pull in far enough so that the rear fender doesn't rub against the party deck railings...
We had the Spyder loaded up this past weekend for the maiden voyage. Worked out just like you said. Drove from Pittsburgh to Shenandoah National Park so lots of hills and curves for a round trip of 550 miles and the Spyder stayed put in the garage with no issues.

I think it will work out great for us!
Old 08-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Congratulations! You now have the coolest golf cart in the RV park!
Old 08-31-2018, 04:05 AM   #14

State: Washington
THOR #12916
Keyless entry for truck

Did anyone find the security module? I still can’t find ours. Would like to program our fobs.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:25 AM   #15

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
See post #7
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #16

THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorchmobile View Post
Did anyone find the security module? I still can’t find ours. Would like to program our fobs.

I looked at the driver side kick-panel area but did not see it. I also pulled the engine cover and looked around under the dash. I didn't have a lot of time but still didn't see it.

I need to keep looking.... it has to be in there somewhere.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #17

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
++ on Post 10!! Everything, including lawn mowers come with two sets of keys.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote