Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2020, 08:38 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
But how long is the typical stop to re-charge?
Gassing up a car takes less than 10 minutes, and the range between stops is just over 400 miles.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:47 PM   #22
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
But how long is the typical stop to re-charge?
Gassing up a car takes less than 10 minutes, and the range between stops is just over 400 miles.
You still have to eat at some point (30-45 minutes typically to get back up to 150+ miles depending on the EV and charger). So, yes, currently EV trips take a little longer than a gas car but is that so bad? We talk about the 330 rule RV driving....

That is something I see all the time: People poo poo EV's because of the charge time and what it would do for a marathon drive session and then in the next breath talk about how much nicer it would be to stop and smell the roses once and a while!?

Besides: You guys brought up the BEV trucks--I didn't ! LOL

We've discussed at length on these forums how a hybrid RV would be far more practical than a pure EV version anyway (at least with the current technology) and I agree with that assessment. This F-150 with a hybrid and 7.2kW A/C available is exactly the kind of powertrain we've been talking about.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:52 PM   #23

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Range per charge is part of the equation, but how fast it charges is also very important. It’s one thing if it takes 10 hours and another if only 30~45 minutes.

If planning to tow a significant amount with pickup, a battery electric doesn’t seem the right choice to me. Range can be reduced to a third, making it impractical. I just don’t see that yet.

Technology is certainly ready to support hybrid designs, and having a built-in portable power station (generator) should help attract buyers from contractors to campers. I suppose cost will influence how well they are received.

I’d like to see specs on all three charging options.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:24 PM   #24
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Range per charge is part of the equation, but how fast it charges is also very important. It’s one thing if it takes 10 hours and another if only 30~45 minutes.

If planning to tow a significant amount with pickup, a battery electric doesn’t seem the right choice to me. Range can be reduced to a third, making it impractical. I just don’t see that yet.

Technology is certainly ready to support hybrid designs, and having a built-in portable power station (generator) should help attract buyers from contractors to campers. I suppose cost will influence how well they are received.

I’d like to see specs on all three charging options.
The media site has some links to some helpful .pdf's.

Like the tech specs of the truck:
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content..._Specs_R15.pdf

Or a "PowerBoost" fact sheet:
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...ostFS_C123.pdf

and a small brochure for the "Power OnBoard" feature:
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...er_SP_C113.pdf

Media kit: https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2021/media-kit/

Granted a bunch of interesting specs are labelled "TBD".
Old 06-26-2020, 11:32 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'd rather see hybrids with tiny gas engines that did nothing but produce electricity to power electric motors at all four corners.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:33 AM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
I'd rather see hybrids with tiny gas engines that did nothing but produce electricity to power electric motors at all four corners.
That is called a series-hybrid configuration and is how diesel-electric locomotives work.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:40 AM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
So if I say that it "pulls like a train": I ain't lyin'

It's all in the scale of the power plant.
And you could use any type of engine: it only needs to spin the generators.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:56 AM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
So if I say that it "pulls like a train": I ain't lyin'

It's all in the scale of the power plant.
And you could use any type of engine: it only needs to spin the generators.
Yup: I'm in favor of a small turbojet powering the generators
Old 06-27-2020, 01:45 AM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Turbojet?
Hmmmm...
It wouldn't be ecomcal; but it'd be a real hoot to drive!
Old 06-27-2020, 02:52 AM   #30

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That is called a series-hybrid configuration and is how diesel-electric locomotives work.

I have been thing why haven’t they done this years ago. You should be able to get 80mpg on the highway.
Old 06-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #31

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I think I can pull it off using the triple alternator set up.
I also think I can have them installed for right at $3,000.
I think I can offset a fair chunk the 3k by selling the generator AND I'll gain the Gen space as storage.
My v10 uses under 7/10th gallons per hour at idle. Probably more with the alternators, but still within the same usage range as the generator.
James at fitrv did that a few years back.... swapped the genny for a big lithium battery and a large alternator. I think it's an outstanding approach, especially given that these onan gennys are oh so finicky and unreliable

Quote:
LOL It could be 1000 miles and people wouldn't be satisfied.
The latest Model-S with the biggest battery can go 400+ miles...
Only a matter of time.
interesting phenomenon I think.... Seems to me that range is an overblown..once it gets to 300-400 miles it's in the same ballpark as gasoline cars....and when you consider that those longer road trips for most people are by far an exception not the rule to their typical needs
a 50 mile range gets me to work and back.... and certainly any local errands I typically do.... so 100ish mile range is 'good enough' most of the time since i could recharge nightly....with the current 300-400 miles being better so nightly recharging isn't necessary

Quote:
You still have to eat at some point (30-45 minutes typically to get back up to 150+ miles depending on the EV and charger). So, yes, currently EV trips take a little longer than a gas car but is that so bad? We talk about the 330 rule RV driving....

That is something I see all the time: People poo poo EV's because of the charge time and what it would do for a marathon drive session and then in the next breath talk about how much nicer it would be to stop and smell the roses once and a while!?......
and it seems to me that most folks will stop at that distance/time anyway to take a break, bathrooms,food, etc.... so the key is making recharge stations at places that make good rest areas, food options, etc...

Quote:
I'm not in the camp that EV's save the world, but I have been interested for some time...was really hoping Tesla's truck would be in the same class as their cars (classy looking and very functional)...so I've been holding out hope for Ford
Anyway, I've thought for a long time along similar lines Bob... except to add "plug-in" hybrid. I'd like a plug in with maybe 100 mile range at least on EV only, then a tiny engine pushing a generator to get it further.
And I like the idea of a tranny mounted motor instead of at each wheel...only so that it could more likley be flat towed behind my RV
Old 06-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm thinking that plug-ins might put a strain on the power grid...
Old 06-27-2020, 01:35 PM   #33
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
I'm thinking that plug-ins might put a strain on the power grid...
I've seen that argued either way. I mostly charge at night when the grid isn't that busy anyway (and I have a cheap overnight rate just for that purpose). If the power companies incentivize overnight charging (like my plan) then most people will charge overnight (when the demand on the grid is lowest) and it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-27-2020, 02:18 PM   #34

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
I’ve been driving a Prius since 2010 over 300,000 miles. 52 mph. Only maintenance replaced the starting gel cell starting battery 2 years ago and tires. Oil changes and filters. I would definitely by another one if needed but I don’t need it. 73 years old. I would at anything electric they make. They were the first to make any kind of electric popular. Mine charges when I put on brakes with dynamic braking. I can also shift to dynamic braking to slow down without using brakes. Brakes lasted me over 180,000 miles before replacing. Mostly highway driving.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #35
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
I’ve been driving a Prius since 2010 over 300,000 miles. 52 mph. Only maintenance replaced the starting gel cell starting battery 2 years ago and tires. Oil changes and filters. I would definitely by another one if needed but I don’t need it. 73 years old. I would at anything electric they make. They were the first to make any kind of electric popular. Mine charges when I put on brakes with dynamic braking. I can also shift to dynamic braking to slow down without using brakes. Brakes lasted me over 180,000 miles before replacing. Mostly highway driving.
It only goes 52 mph?
I think you meant 52 MPG.

The Prius (and similar vehicles) is not all electric - it solves the range problem with an onboard ICE.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It only goes 52 mph?
I think you meant 52 MPG.

The Prius (and similar vehicles) is not all electric - it solves the range problem with an onboard ICE.
52 mpg?
I get better than that with my "Gasser" Smart...
(But he'd definitely beat me in any contests of speed... )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:14 PM   #37

THOR #2121
Quote:
The media site has some links to some helpful .pdf's.

Like the tech specs of the truck:
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content..._Specs_R15.pdf

Or a "PowerBoost" fact sheet:
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...ostFS_C123.pdf

and a small brochure for the "Power OnBoard" feature:
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...er_SP_C113.pdf

Media kit: https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2021/media-kit/

Granted a bunch of interesting specs are labelled "TBD".

Thanks, that’s great information for the two generator options for the PowerBoost hybrid. There’s not as much information for the option on regular F-150.

For standard (non-hybrid) F-150 it’s an option with gas engines except standard 3.3L V6. It’s not available with diesel either — Ford probably doesn’t want diesel idling long periods.

The PowerBoost hybrid has a low-capacity 1.5 kWh battery, so the battery can’t possibly power the inverter for long periods at rated capacity. Unless inverter is operating at very low power levels (like powering a TV or charging tool batteries), I’d expect the pickup’s engine would run quite a bit, or at least often for short periods.

Note the 2.4 kW inverter system is rated at up to 85 hours on 30.6-gallon fuel tank. Assuming 100% capacity, and run tank empty, that works out to 0.36 gallons per hour. That’s not too bad.

The 7.2 kW inverter system is rated at up to 32 hours on full tank, so about 0.96 gallons per hour. Again, not bad if making 7.2 kW of electric power.

Jamie, if you see additional information on the 2.0 kW system for non-hybrid pickups, please post it here. That’s the one I think may be most applicable to RV chassis as an option.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9F30B786-05A1-4D62-B972-69EE761A2D89.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	24482   Click image for larger version

Name:	A3603BDE-3B18-4127-B205-3976390F5027.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	24483  

Click image for larger version

Name:	7AEB5E04-F6CA-4E3B-9676-BBA5F2E958DB.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	24484  
Old 06-27-2020, 08:04 PM   #38

THOR #2121
The following initial summary covers more details about the 3 generators’ capabilities and operation.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2020/0...generator.html
Old 06-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #39

THOR #2121
The base ProPower system (used with non-hybrid gas engines) is of greatest interest to me since I don’t expect hybrid powertrain on larger RV chassis for at least a few more years or longer.

Ford had recently made dual alternators available on E-Series and Transit motorhome chassis, but if Road&Track report is accurate, Ford’s willingness to segregate the two alternators completely is great news.

Not only would it provide option to use different voltage for RV house, it would keep the chassis and coach electrical systems 100% separate. Some may not want separate electrical systems, but I feel it would be a great step forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road&Track
On the standard engines, Pro Power uses a second alternator on the engine to provide up to 2.0 kilowatts of power through dual 120-volt outlets in the bed. That'll allow you to power things like circular saws, jackhammers, loudspeakers, or an air compressor off of your truck. A full tank can provide that power for 85 hours. You can also use Pro Power Onboard while driving to charge up tools and equipment. And since it's run off a 24-volt system entirely separate from the truck's 12-volt main battery, you don't have to worry about it affecting the rest of the truck.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...hotos-details/
Old 07-02-2020, 05:35 PM   #40

State: New Jersey
THOR #8562
Do not forget alternators do not put out their full output potential until they spin up to max rated RPM's. That is generally 10,000 rpm's. You can change pulley diameters to get them to spin faster at low engine rpm's but must not exceed max rpm's on the alternator when you rev the engine. The generator is optimized to provide the proper power when needed with a governor to control engine speed. You will also need a smart regulator because stock voltage regulators and designed to charge start batteries not house banks.
That is why they make generators- so you don't have to run your big motor. I have a cruising sailboat - they have similarities to RV for energy management. There are times I wish I had a generator so I did not have to run the engine.