Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2020, 07:59 PM   #61

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
Yes
That’s the beauty of Vegas/Axis Chassis
188” or longer wheel base makes for a much smoother ride

All I was saying above is that they could have “thinked” outside-the-box and built a 22-24’ Vegas/Axis on a shorter wheelbase.
The Ford E350 stripped chassis stock wheelbase is 158”

In the 1970’s most Class A RVs were on a short wheelbase Dodge 318 class C type chassis
So it’s not unusual to have a 22” Class A

The E-Series comes in 138-, 158-, and 176-inch wheelbase from Ford, but for reasons I don’t know the 158” is the standard for RV manufacturers to stretch. Otherwise the 176” would make a nice smaller size Axis in your suggested 24-foot range. That would take 12” off wheelbase and 6” off rear overhang compared to 24.1 and 24.3.

To reduce an Axis from 25’-6” down to 24’ in length would require eliminating 18”. Starting with new 24.3 they could relocate the closet to bathroom and rearrange kitchen area, but remainder of floor plan would still be a mess.

The 24.1 would be a better starting point for a shorter Axis/Vegas design in my opinion. Just build off Euro motorhome designs.

Old 09-21-2020, 08:07 PM   #62
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
The main deal breaker for me is lack of any windows on driver’s side while traveling, so if touring with more than two people, visibility is too limited. I can’t imagine 2 or 3 passengers driving through Yellowstone and not being able to see out the left side of motorhome.
Clearly this isn't designed with touring in mind. Its all about being parked somewhere since most of your views are out the awning side.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #63

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Clearly this isn't designed with touring in mind. Its all about being parked somewhere since most of your views are out the awning side.

Agree while stationary, but while driving with your kids, grandkids, or friends, who wants to miss half the scenery? I’d feel claustrophobic traveling in a vehicle with such limited visibility, and I don’t mind small spaces. I imagine it will feel like half a cave.

Even if not “touring” per se, there is so much scenery to not miss. I see it as a huge design flaw if motorhome will be used by more than two people. And even for two, I couldn’t deal with it. As an example, I would not want to stop for lunch along a quiet river or stream, or some scenic lookout, and not be able to see all around. Plus it’s not as safe when parked in an isolated spot. I want to be aware of my surroundings.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:50 AM   #64

THOR #2121
P.S. — I could only find one other motorhome (Compass/Gemini) with a Murphy bed that doesn’t also have a dinette on driver’s side with nice view out a large window, and it’s a lot smaller so intended for just two campers/travelers.

I’ll bet that like most Axis/Vegas floor plans, the 24.3 won’t last more than a few years. The original 24.1 remains champ. It’s too bad Thor designers refuse to develop new floor plans based off the 24.1 which has worked best for a reason, yet they can’t spin new creative floor plans from it.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:05 PM   #65

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
Bring back the 25.5

I would like to see a return of the Axis/Vegas 25.5 with a theater seating option. That would eliminate most of the annoyances I have with the 24.1 and might interest me in a trade.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #66
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
P.S. — I could only find one other motorhome (Compass/Gemini) with a Murphy bed that doesn’t also have a dinette on driver’s side with nice view out a large window, and it’s a lot smaller so intended for just two campers/travelers.

I’ll bet that like most Axis/Vegas floor plans, the 24.3 won’t last more than a few years. The original 24.1 remains champ. It’s too bad Thor designers refuse to develop new floor plans based off the 24.1 which has worked best for a reason, yet they can’t spin new creative floor plans from it.
No kidding. You'd think someone would bring up: "Hey the 24.1 is really popular what if we make a few variations and see how those go?" (It would likely be cheaper as well since you're changing less.)

New Axis 24.1.1, 24.1.2, 24.1.3, etc. LOL (yeah ok software versioning on the brain...)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:59 PM   #67

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
I would like to see a return of the Axis/Vegas 25.5 with a theater seating option. That would eliminate most of the annoyances I have with the 24.1 and might interest me in a trade.

I’m curious what annoys you on 24.1? The main one I’ve heard numerous times is about small bathroom. What other design features bother you?

While not Class As, if you look around there are units similar to what you describe but in Class C or B+.

One is from Coach House and has very large rear bathroom and is similar to Axis 25.5. The other is from Tiffin and is similar ro 24.1. It’s available with flat floor or with elevated rear twin beds over a bike garage. Unfortunately, both of these options are significantly more expensive that a 24.1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC3DB60B-9552-44F7-AA48-B5BCCCCF9258.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	26243   Click image for larger version

Name:	0ED63686-0638-4DEC-BF75-6A799BB2E845.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	26244  

Old 09-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #68

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
Vegas 24.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I’m curious what annoys you on 24.1? The main one I’ve heard numerous times is about small bathroom. What other design features bother you?

While not Class As, if you look around there are units similar to what you describe but in Class C or B+.

One is from Coach House and has very large rear bathroom and is similar to Axis 25.5. The other is from Tiffin and is similar ro 24.1. It’s available with flat floor or with elevated rear twin beds over a bike garage. Unfortunately, both of these options are significantly more expensive that a 24.1.
Chance, thanks for asking!

The list of annoyances is fairly short. I am 6'3'' and 235 lb. In a perfect world, I would like a larger shower in a larger rear bath and an 80" bed vs. 75". Both of which were in the 25.5.

I bought the 24.1 a year ago as a leftover 2019 and got a great price. I'm OK with the two things I mentioned above and have adjusted to them, but would trade for a 25.5 if it were built again.

I would buy an Axis/Vegas again as it is somewhat unique in its class and is a good value for the price paid. The exterior storage is great and our unit, in particular, has the combination induction/gas cooktop which we really like.

I would suggest one more thing to Thor. Offer a "Platinum Package" with upgraded heat/soundproofing, good quality recliners, and upgraded electronics (TV, Audio, TPMS).

I accept there is no perfect RV, unless one has an unlimited price point!
Old 09-22-2020, 11:39 PM   #69

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post

.....cut....

I would suggest one more thing to Thor. Offer a "Platinum Package" with upgraded heat/soundproofing, good quality recliners, and upgraded electronics (TV, Audio, TPMS).

.....cut....
Thanks for feedback. I can see where above-average-size individuals would want larger beds, showers, added headroom, etc. In our case these are not an issue at all for the 24.1. If anything, I wish manufacturers would build more models optimized for average-size people. The average American is 5’-10” or smaller, so there’s room to the down side.

For what it’s worth, Ford made TPMS available from factory on new E-Series even with duallies. Previously it was only available on SRW chassis. I believe the RV E-Series chassis option includes TPMS, so if RV manufacturers are ordering the optional RV package, new E-Series motorhomes should have TPMS.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:33 PM   #70

THOR #2121
Interesting that YouTube video references staying off roof other than for maintenance. It mentions not getting up there at events for better vantage point and warranty together, which isn’t a coincidence.

Watching again confirmed that OCCC was 1,369 pounds, which means coach weighs just over 11,000 pounds essentially empty.