Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2020, 04:03 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I just looked at this 25LW.... not a bad storage compartment. Might be on my short list if decide I really need this comparment for my Mtn bikes..... I wonder what the dimension are for this entire cargo area?

2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:57 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I just looked at this 25LW.... not a bad storage compartment. Might be on my short list if decide I really need this comparment for my Mtn bikes..... I wonder what the dimension are for this entire cargo area?

Floorplan states 35”X44”X86”.

James of the Fit RV wrote a segment on bike-friendly rigs at Tampa RV show. The four conditions he uses to define a bike-friendly rig are pretty much in line with my opinion/needs as well.

https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-reviews/...tampa-rv-show/
Old 10-13-2020, 08:12 PM   #23

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Ok, Thanks. Sounds large enought.....I will take some measurements of by bikes. Im sure I would have to remove the front wheels... they are "Mid travel" E-mtn bikes. So 150 - 160 mm travel front and back. But they both have dropper posts (lower the seat with a touch of a button) so that will help some.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 08:29 PM   #24

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Electric RV

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1...024841729?s=21

Here is the chassis for a true electric RV. Even one that is self driving. Kind of neat.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #25

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post

Here is the chassis for a true electric RV. Even one that is self driving. Kind of neat.

That skateboard design is indeed neat, and a fairly common approach many auto manufacturers are reportedly working on.

I especially like that the design is compact, low to ground, and has only four wheels. These are all features I like and would prefer in an RV; but they are not exclusive to electric vehicles. Conventional RVs can also be built that way, but apparently there’s not much demand.

Just wondering if there would be a market for that type of motorhome in US when in the past, smaller, low-profile and 4-wheel conventional motorhomes haven’t done well.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #26
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:

An old idea, almost two decades old:
https://jalopnik.com/gm-debuts-new-e...ago-1842094994

Just about every EV these days is based on that configuration--just not as modular.

(Interesting that GM's original HyWire was H2 powered and not an EV.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:30 PM   #27

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
An old idea, almost two decades old:
https://jalopnik.com/gm-debuts-new-e...ago-1842094994

Just about every EV these days is based on that configuration--just not as modular.

(Interesting that GM's original HyWire was H2 powered and not an EV.)
That's cause some GM executives thought a fuel cell with H2 storage made sense over a battery. The only fuel cells that made sense to me were the ones that ran on gasoline or alcohol. H2 storage is not practical IMHO.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 07:41 PM   #28

THOR #1765
Taking an “idea” and actually producing and selling a final product are two very different things. Let’s see if they can pull it off.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #29

THOR #2121
Quote:
Taking an “idea” and actually producing and selling a final product are two very different things. Let’s see if they can pull it off.

It doesn’t sound too difficult to me.

Didn’t VW use the same design concept about 80 years ago; just not electric? The body was bolted to the chassis, and while I’m not certain they were identical, the basic chassis was used with different body designs, not just the Beetle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CA2873DC-2C20-493B-B7CC-F6DF6DBDE6EB.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	26730  
Old 10-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #30

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
It doesn’t sound too difficult to me.

Didn’t VW use the same design concept about 80 years ago; just not electric? The body was bolted to the chassis, and while I’m not certain they were identical, the basic chassis was used with different body designs, not just the Beetle.
Yes, I had a 1972 VW Karmin Ghia (for 19 years - wish i still had it but it was becoming a pile of rust - I live on the ocean.) it was a VW chassis and engine with a fancy convertible body in place of the bug. Looked like a real sports car (body by Italian designer Karmin) but the same engine, transmission and chassis as the bug. They supposedly bench tested the engines at the factory and put the best ones in the Ghia’s. In the early 90’s I could still buy a new fuel pump (or new engine if I wanted) from the bug production line which moved to Mexico. A fuel pump was $9. Had 150,000 miles on it and the engine still ran like a top, didn’t burn any oil, never been rebuilt. Body parts were hard to come by and most of the body was Bondo. I sold it to a car museum in Canada for more than I paid for it - 19 years later. .
Old 10-16-2020, 06:46 PM   #31

THOR #1765
Their van and RV was not on the same chassis, but used the same engine and transmission and many parts.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #32

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Old VWs were just dreadful automobiles! But I loved them then and I still do. I had many and would buy another it I had space to store it. The simplicity of it all. And dirt cheap cost! With practice you could pull the engine in like an hour. You could rebuild it in your garage to good as new for just a few hundred dollars and, with the possible exception of the internal parts of the transaxle and fixing rust, there wasn’t much an average handyman couldn’t do himself. Those days are gone forever.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:05 PM   #33

THOR #1765
They sure were simple. I almost never had anyone work in my Ghia unless I was stumped.One winter in Virginia, it kept quitting on me on my drive home of about 10 miles. After I replaced the fuel pump and it did it the second time, I took it to a local mechanic who worked primarily on VWs (he loved my Ghia). He listened to my story, put the Ghia on his lift, removed the gas line which ran from the front gas tank to the rear engine, hooked up his high pressure hose to it and blew a chunk of frozen dirt against the far wall of the garage. It was fixed forever.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:52 PM   #34

THOR #2121
Quote:
Yes, I had a 1972 VW Karmin Ghia (for 19 years - wish i still had it but it was becoming a pile of rust - I live on the ocean.) it was a VW chassis and engine with a fancy convertible body in place of the bug. Looked like a real sports car (body by Italian designer Karmin) but the same engine, transmission and chassis as the bug. ....cut....

I can relate because I purchased a much older Karmin Ghia that had rusted out, and had been abandoned in tall grass. The owner, an older gentlemen, sold it to me for a fee dollars so I’d get it out of his yard.

Mine was the hardtop but I removed body anyway to build an open rail dune buggy (it was very simple build due to extremely low budget while in college). Without a body, I could remove engine in a few minutes — literally.