Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2020, 02:51 PM   #41
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburgher View Post
I feel that way too. We, like may others, got caught smack dab in the middle of this pandemic mess. All of the units we were interested in were snatched up very quickly. It will probably be mid-spring before they start rolling out any new Vegas', even then, they will be already spoken for. With retirement pending, and the grand kids a waiting, we decided to take our chances on this new one.
We are hiring a certified independent 3rd party to assist with the PDI. Hopefully this will give us a fighters chance with our first six months or so of RVing.
Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Yup download and read Ed's excellent crowd sourced owner's manual for Axis/Vegas units found here:
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...nual-4961.html

You'll know all there is to know about your unit before ever picking it up.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:39 PM   #42

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: British Columbia
THOR #16278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Did you see it broken down on side of road or did it make it into campground?

I’m curious if you learned what went wrong with it? Was it spark plug wires mentioned above or was it something else? Was it even engine or chassis related?

Specifics really helps a lot. All 7.3 rigs are brand new, and we know how many defects new motorhomes have from RV manufacturers, so without more details it’s hard to say what was actually broken.

Sorry to question, but it’s one thing if these engines are cracking heads or throwing rods and another if they have bad wires (not that that is acceptable). To me “broken down” normally suggests it’s not drivable — as it has to be towed away.
Sounded like it was running on less than 10 cyl. it was idling very rough. I didnt investigate but it soundsed like the wire problem.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:44 PM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddy View Post
Sounded like it was running on less than 10 cyl. it was idling very rough. I didnt investigate but it soundsed like the wire problem.

A V8 running on less than 10 cylinders can be perfectly fine.

Seriously, thanks for getting back. I’m looking forward to a test drive of new V8; maybe on a rental motorhome so I can put a few miles on it.
Old 09-11-2020, 05:14 PM   #44

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: British Columbia
THOR #16278
Quote:
A V8 running on less than 10 cylinders can be perfectly fine.

Seriously, thanks for getting back. I’m looking forward to a test drive of new V8; maybe on a rental motorhome so I can put a few miles on it.
Don't get me wrong I hope this is a great engine for Ford. Actually I'm a little shocked as Ford hit it out of the park when they introduced the 6.7 powerstroke.

I lived the same pain in the ass when my P32 ate plugs and wires.
Old 09-11-2020, 08:32 PM   #45

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeddy View Post
Don't get me wrong I hope this is a great engine for Ford. Actually I'm a little shocked as Ford hit it out of the park when they introduced the 6.7 powerstroke.

I lived the same pain in the ass when my P32 ate plugs and wires.

If the only problem the 7.3L V8 has so far are a few bad batches of spark plug ignition wires due to Covid-compromised manufacturing, I won’t worry too much about it longer-term.

I’d personally worry more about the long-term future of Diesel engines, particularly for smaller motorhomes. As successful as the 6.7L PowerStroke has been for Ford, future diesel regulations may adversely affect it. Plus the lower cost of gasoline engine option makes economic justification of diesel tougher for those who want diesel, but can do without.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:17 AM   #46
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
If the only problem the 7.3L V8 has so far are a few bad batches of spark plug ignition wires due to Covid-compromised manufacturing, I won’t worry too much about it longer-term.

I’d personally worry more about the long-term future of Diesel engines, particularly for smaller motorhomes. As successful as the 6.7L PowerStroke has been for Ford, future diesel regulations may adversely affect it. Plus the lower cost of gasoline engine option makes economic justification of diesel tougher for those who want diesel, but can do without.
Ah, but nobody makes a gasser capable of towing 10k or more, with air brakes and air suspension so diesels will be around for a long time to come.

Also, COVID compromised manufacturing. Real convenient excuse for a serious design defect and substandard supply chain.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:58 AM   #47

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Ah, but nobody makes a gasser capable of towing 10k or more, with air brakes and air suspension so diesels will be around for a long time to come.

Also, COVID compromised manufacturing. Real convenient excuse for a serious design defect and substandard supply chain.

I agree larger diesels will be around for a while because large and expensive motorhomes are (even more of) a luxury item, and if regulations add cost due to stringent emissions standards, the incremental cost will just be passed on. What’s another +/- $10k compared to total costs?

https://www.rvia.org/news-insights/c...-substantially

Presently most motorhomes are built on Ford chassis (data says over 50%) and Ford is introducing air compressor for gasser 7.3L V8 to support air brakes and air suspension. Some of larger trucks have rear air suspension option. But you’re correct as far as I know that no RV manufacturer is building on large gasser yet, with air brakes, or air suspension. That could change in a few years — who knows. The demand for these items are from the commercial side of business, not from RV buyers or manufacturers.

Dave, I’m not going to argue this issue either way because I don’t personally care about the outcome as long as there are still gas engines available for smaller motorhomes. I’m not interested in diesels but have nothing against them for others to buy. Just not my preference.