Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2021, 01:02 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
A new kit to work on!

After six years, 40,000 miles and over 400 nights in our Vegas 25.2, we traded it away for a Hurricane 27K that is just as old but with only 12,000 miles. With the full wall slide it's a bit more spacious inside. Really, we bought a kit, ready to assemble.

Now the fun has begun! We tore out the crappy J-bench sofa and ordered a double recliner. As many have shown on this forum, I am making the short part of the bench into a table and we are redoing the decor. I have an upholsterer lined up to redo the driver seats, and a bunch of smaller projects on the list.

Here's pics of old and new:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0809210922_HDR.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	32924   Click image for larger version

Name:	0809211432a_HDR.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	32925  

Old 08-19-2021, 01:12 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Nice looking rig, congrats! Question for you, if you take out the J couch and add recliners will you still be able to use the pedestal table?
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:29 AM   #3

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Congrats on the trade. The extra room will be well worth the work you plan on doing to it.

Paul
Old 08-19-2021, 01:39 AM   #4

THOR #1589
Ours didn't have the base installed for the table by the couch. I have a rectangular table (tool box top from Hme Dpo) that we will use in the front in place of the round table. Much lighter and more practical for us.

The long table I may saw to use as a table top to cover the short end of the J-bench. Still thinking on that one. We might use some TV trays from Wa Mert, or C shaped small tables that I already have one.

Since I removed the mounts from under the long table, I might put one of them on the floor between the recliners, too. I think the recliners won't be too comfortable for eating because even upright they lean back pretty far.

We were mostly fine with the limited space of the Vegas, but the Florida sun had taken it's toll. I now have a cover to lessen the weathering.
Old 08-19-2021, 03:07 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Welcome to the floorplan! Same as our 27.1. Replacing that crap couch with dual reclining loveseat was one of our first and best mods. There's plenty of room in that bench area for a 1 or 2 KW inverter and it only takes tapping into one circuit to power the interior TVs and a few other outlets. Time to start a new project list to make it your own. Feel free to bounce any ideas you may have off of me as I have become intimately familiar with the construction of the coach.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:07 PM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I'm glad you live by the
Kit
Mantra.

It makes things so much more enjoyable.

Congratulations.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:37 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
After six years, 40,000 miles and over 400 nights in our Vegas 25.2, we traded it away for a Hurricane 27K that is just as old but with only 12,000 miles. With the full wall slide it's a bit more spacious inside. Really, we bought a kit, ready to assemble.

Now the fun has begun! We tore out the crappy J-bench sofa and ordered a double recliner. As many have shown on this forum, I am making the short part of the bench into a table and we are redoing the decor. I have an upholsterer lined up to redo the driver seats, and a bunch of smaller projects on the list.

Now is the to buy of the stuff always wanted and see if will fill the huge basement storage (as compared to the Vagas). Oh I forgot you travel with a DW.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 01:04 AM   #8

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
Congrats. We love our hurricane.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:07 AM   #9

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post

Ahhh you fell prey to the ole 2' itis. You went from Vegas to Hurricane soon you'll be up to a Tuscany like me. :-)
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:32 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
to anyone who put on recliner on 27 series ACE or hurricane

What did you do with the heat ducts? Did you remount the table poles?
I have been trying to figure out how to get recliners in that spot for a long time.. picture would be appreciated.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Welcome to the floorplan! Same as our 27.1. Replacing that crap couch with dual reclining loveseat was one of our first and best mods. There's plenty of room in that bench area for a 1 or 2 KW inverter and it only takes tapping into one circuit to power the interior TVs and a few other outlets. Time to start a new project list to make it your own. Feel free to bounce any ideas you may have off of me as I have become intimately familiar with the construction of the coach.
Old 08-26-2021, 04:36 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I hope your new "Kit" brings you countless "Miles & Smiles"!
Congratulations!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 12:38 AM   #12

THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by petef View Post
I have been trying to figure out how to get recliners in that spot for a long time.. picture would be appreciated.
Thanks
Will try to post some pictures soon. Haven't yet boxed in the short part of the old J shaped couch. Measuring twice and cutting once isn't enough. I'm using the old top and side boards for the two sides of the new "table" and the former long table for the top. One shot to get this right.

I relocated the fuse box from the front to the side, and will outlet both heat ducts where the fuse box was. We rarely run the furnace so I'm not much concerned about optimizing warm air flow. It wouldn't be difficult to run one behind the recliners, but fo me not worth the effort.

This coach didn't have the floor mounts installed for the table. We plan to use the mount between the captain seats for meals. I replaced the heavy stock table with a tool box top from Home Depo.

The captain seats go to the upholstery shop next week.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:19 AM   #13

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Captain seat heaters for butt and back are about $25 for TWO seats, complete with wiring and switches with hi and lo.

I also have hand pumped lumbar and side bolsters.
They are sold as devices to wedge a car window open so you can get into a cat with the keys locked in. Many different shapes available.
Very inexpensive.

As long as they're being re-covered you might as well go deluxe.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 04:04 AM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks
Have you seen this thread?

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...html#post71328
Old 08-27-2021, 05:24 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Thanks, I wondered about this... I like the table to do jigsaw puzzles, but I want recliners also..maybe I need to buy a bigger rig..!
Old 08-27-2021, 06:48 PM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks, I wondered about this... I like the table to do jigsaw puzzles, but I want recliners also..maybe I need to buy a bigger rig..!
You could retain the table but the OEM pole holders would be even more of a trip hazard than they are now as you'll have to move them closer to the door. Before I put my recliners in I replaced the factory OEM pole holders with recessed holders in the floor but you have to drill large holes in what may be steel supports. It's do-able (I did it) but it's a PITA.

I'm also not sure how easy it would be to do a jigsaw puzzle from a recliner.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:52 AM   #17

THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Ahhh you fell prey to the ole 2' itis. You went from Vegas to Hurricane soon you'll be up to a Tuscany like me. :-)
Actually, we went from a 30 foot travel trailer to a 35 foot 5th wheel to a 33 foot Class A to the 25 foot Vegas before our current 28 foot Hurricane. Had each over five years. If I was gambling, I'd bet our next coach (should there be one) will be a smaller Sprinter based coach.

We found the Vegas had enough storage inside and out for the way we travel. Not expecting to fill the storage in the Hurricane. That said, we are looking forward to using the recliners.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:59 AM   #18

THOR #1589
Quote:
We have done puzzles up front between the captains chairs on the 16 x 24 inch rectangular table top from Hm Depo. You could rig up a larger removable board over that table from scrap paneling for puzzles or crafts.