Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2017, 02:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32N
State: Florida
THOR #8358
New owner questions

My wife and I just purchased a slightly used 2016 Hurricane model 32N. I have a couple of questions: I am new to operating a rv with a residential fridge. Is it ok to leave the inverter on all the time or should I turn it off when connected to shore power? .... Also I have a Dish Tailgater that I used in my previous RV. Any help with connecting it in this one would be appreciated. My wife really does not want to run the cable through a window like we did previously. Will it work connected to the park cable receptacle, and if so can I connect the receiver to the tv in the living room and still feed the other two tvs?

Old 07-19-2017, 01:07 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthunts View Post
My wife and I just purchased a slightly used 2016 Hurricane model 32N. I have a couple of questions: I am new to operating a rv with a residential fridge. Is it ok to leave the inverter on all the time or should I turn it off when connected to shore power? .... Also I have a Dish Tailgater that I used in my previous RV. Any help with connecting it in this one would be appreciated. My wife really does not want to run the cable through a window like we did previously. Will it work connected to the park cable receptacle, and if so can I connect the receiver to the tv in the living room and still feed the other two tvs?
Bump!

Seems like your inverter should automatically make the switch when you connect the shore power.

As to the cable, I have seen coaches where a second plug was added for the sat cable. Depending on your DIY skills, you might need a tech to run the cables in the walls and rig up a switch system.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:28 AM   #3

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The inverter SHOULD switch off, but I would turn it off when on shore power, no reason for it to stay on since your refrigerator is now receiving direct power.

The satellite will usually not work thru the park cable connection due to the antenna booster. Try and see to be sure but probably not.
Old 07-19-2017, 04:23 AM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
I only run the inverter when traveling or no shore power. Otherwise it remains off. One of the issues we had initially was remembering to turn the inverter on before starting to drive. A checklist took care of that problem.
Your coach may have been pre-wired for satellite. Check around for a coax looking terminal labelled sat or check your owners manual.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:38 AM   #5

Brand: Keystone
Model: Alpine 3401RS
THOR #6288
I only use the inverter when we have no shore power or generator AND not storing the MH. Then only when we want TV service.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
To ech their own.

Point to keep in mind, if the inverter is off and the shore power drops while you are away from the coach there is no robot there to turn the inverter on and keep the fridge cool.

If I leave the coach for a day trip or something similar I turn the inverter on and enable the AGS. When I return I will turn the inverter off and disable the AGS. Since both switches are in the cabinet above the door it is very easy for me to take this precaution.

When rolling down the road I will use the inverter unless the temp is so high that I want the coach AC units running and then I will run the generator.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreinertms View Post
Your coach may have been pre-wired for satellite. Check around for a coax looking terminal labelled sat or check your owners manual.
In 2014 Hurricane 32A - the 'IT cabinet' (passenger side - just forward of door) contains the selector switch - allows switching any TV to any source...
On the left wall of that cabinet are satellite connections... I haven't used them on mine yet - so can't comment how to connect.
Not that color would be consistent year to year - or even rig to rig - but my incoming cable wires are white - and satellite wires are orange.

I'd expect you can use the park cable connection IF the cable is good - you certainly need to leave the antenna booster off... CErtainly worth a try - can always move wires around going into the selector box.
(my cable isn't good.. carries some cable - lower channels fuzzy... won't carry high speed internet... and won't 'tone' with a tester... Be running another cable under the RV and up the wall when I have a chance...)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 04:09 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 32N
THOR #8358
Thanks for the info. My inverter will stay on unless I turn it off. Good thought about turning it on when we are going to be away for awhile in case of a power outage. As far as my tv question goes.. my IT cabinet is on the immediate right when entering the door. The only box in there is a switch box but it has no places to connect coax. It is a hdmi only switch box. I am going to try the park cable inlet. No separate inlet for satellite
Old 07-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Thanks for the info. My inverter will stay on unless I turn it off. Good thought about turning it on when we are going to be away for awhile in case of a power outage. As far as my tv question goes.. my IT cabinet is on the immediate right when entering the door. The only box in there is a switch box but it has no places to connect coax. It is a hdmi only switch box. I am going to try the park cable inlet. No separate inlet for satellite
OK... my 2014 is coax only - no hdmi at the switchbox... The difference 2 years make.
Let us know how it goes.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
New owner questions

There is a mod to rewire the antenna plate inside where the selector is for air or cable (turns the signal amp on for using the antenna or off for using park cable.) A satellite signal cannot be run through a splitter so this mod allows the signal straight through and bypasses the amp and switch. Basically, you will attach the outside cable to a different coax connection and jumper the existing connection. I don’t remember all of the details but it is widely discussed on the RV forums.

We simply installed our own satellite input and ran it to the entertainment center to the satellite receiver (with a separate power inserter located there for our dish.) This seemed like a much simpler solution.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #11

State: Ohio
THOR #9125
Quote:
On our 2016 RE I have the HDMI splitter also. I also have a Tailgater and what I did to use the park Cable connection in the storage bin was go into the cabinet with the Antenna boost hook up, should be with the HDMI splitter, and one of the coax cables going into it is your park cable...I unhooked it from there and installed my Satellite box in the cabinet and hooked the park cable to it. Then I ran the HDMI from the Satellite box to the other input on the splitter, Mine had 2 inputs , the DVD player was is in the other