Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #1503
Axis Windscreen Crack

I was breaking camp on Sunday to return to NEPA when I heard a cracking noise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Windscreen Crack.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	1936

Driver's side about half way up. It's not very noticeable.

It will be interesting to see how it progresses.

Bruce

Old 05-03-2016, 09:31 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Arizona
THOR #1670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I was breaking camp on Sunday to return to NEPA when I heard a cracking noise.

Attachment 1936

Driver's side about half way up. It's not very noticeable.

It will be interesting to see how it progresses.

Bruce
I would see about getting it repaired ASAP before it spreads.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:38 PM   #3

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
Mine cracked like that and Thor replaced it free
Old 05-04-2016, 01:20 AM   #4

State: Colorado
THOR #3845
Second one

Just returned from CW which replaced windshield as part of purchase less than month ago. By the time I was home, second windshield cracked. 2015 Vegas 24.2. Rig perfect for us, but concerned by what I read on various forums and my personal experience.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:21 AM   #5

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Mine stress cracked, too. Not a rock, started on drivers side pillar.

Getting a new windshield next week, courtesy of Thor. I asked the warranty dept if this might recur, and was told none of the ones replaced had developed the problem again.

Our 25.2 was built in May 2015.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:22 AM   #6

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #1592
Windshield crack

Mine did the exact same thing.Thor covered it under warranty and I haven't had a problem since.It cracked just sitting in my driveway!I have since put about 5000 miles on it and all seems well.Good luck,I think you should have no problems under warranty as it seems that just about every Axis Vegas owner has had this happen!
Old 05-04-2016, 02:32 AM   #7

THOR #1592
Windshield crack

a quick note,I took mine to Safelite to see if it could be repaired and was told that due to the size of the windshield a repair would not work.This was prior to having it replaced by Thor as I was leaving on a trip a few days later.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:23 AM   #8

THOR #1503
Was your unit still under warranty?

Mine is out.

I am dropping the Axis off at Thor's repair facility tomorrow morning to have a leaking passenger side window repaired.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
Mine cracked like that and Thor replaced it free
Old 05-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Has anyone had one if the new, smaller windshields crack or has Thor solved that problem with the new window?
Old 05-04-2016, 11:30 AM   #10

THOR #1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
Was your unit still under warranty?

Mine is out.

I am dropping the Axis off at Thor's repair facility tomorrow morning to have a leaking passenger side window repaired.

Bruce
yes it was still under warranty.If yours it out check with your insurance co.If you have full coverage you should have windshield coverage,or you can talk to Thor and argue the point of it being a safety issue.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djfred
I think you should have no problems under warranty as it seems that just about every Axis Vegas owner has had this happen!
Not quite, knocking on wood. It seems as this started sometime in the 2015 model year as the few 2014's that I know about have not (to my knowledge) had the front window crack.

So far, again knocking on wood head, ours has not cracked at all and we have over 9000 miles on our 2014.

I would speculate that Thor changed something in the front end in 2015 (possibly more reinforcements holding the dash together? Over tightening the windshield? Thinner glass to save $$$?) that caused this.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 11:43 AM   #12

THOR #1592
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Not quite, knocking on wood. It seems as this started sometime in the 2015 model year as the few 2014's that I know about have not (to my knowledge) had the front window crack.

So far, again knocking on wood head, ours has not cracked at all and we have over 9000 miles on our 2014.

I would speculate that Thor changed something in the front end in 2015 (possibly more reinforcements holding the dash together? Over tightening the windshield?) that caused this.
glad to hear you have been lucky with yours!Mine is a 15'when the glass tech subcontracted by my dealer replaced mine he told the dealer that the weight of the large windshield shifted in the sealant that was originally in there from factory install.I didn't watch him do the work so I don't know exactly what's in there,but no problems at all with the new one.I do notice that all of the threads with pictures show the cracks in the same place from the front pillar on the drivers side,exactly where mine was too.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #13

THOR #1503
Great news,

Thor is replacing the windscreen under warranty.

Bruce
Old 05-15-2016, 11:54 PM   #14

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2766
Cracked windshield

Our 2016 Vegas got a crack at the base of the windshiled while I was driving it that spread along the base. I had just turned on the defroster and the crack appeared. I argued that the glass was defective. Thor said they would consider replacing under warrenty. I took it to camping world (dealer is over 200 miles away) and they sent picutres. Thor said after review they would not replace it. I have full insurance coverage but $1K deductable. I went to Safelite and they told me they didn't think the crack was due to the glass being defective and they replaced the windshield. I had to pay the first $1K of course. I asked the insurance company what the total charge was for the windshield, and they told me the glass, shipping and to have it installed was $3K. Happy to see many of you were able to get Thor to replace your windshilds.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:10 AM   #15

Model: 25.2 Axis
THOR #3471
They replaced mine but first they wanted the serial number on the windshield like the glass was defective
Old 05-16-2016, 01:54 AM   #16

THOR #1589
We had the same crack in our 2016 25.2, from the same place low on the drivers side. Just picked it up with the new replacement window. Had a few other things done, too, as our warranty expires in a few weeks. I asked Thor warranty if there had been further issues with any of the coaches with replacement windshields, and the response was that there had been no problems with replaced windshields. Our coach has the taller windshield.

Florida law requires insurance companies to replace windshields with no deductible, to keep people from driving with impaired vision. This windshield was freighted from the factory.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:26 AM   #17

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikdjensen View Post
Our 2016 Vegas got a crack at the base of the windshiled while I was driving it that spread along the base. I had just turned on the defroster and the crack appeared. I argued that the glass was defective. Thor said they would consider replacing under warrenty. I took it to camping world (dealer is over 200 miles away) and they sent picutres. Thor said after review they would not replace it. I have full insurance coverage but $1K deductable. I went to Safelite and they told me they didn't think the crack was due to the glass being defective and they replaced the windshield. I had to pay the first $1K of course. I asked the insurance company what the total charge was for the windshield, and they told me the glass, shipping and to have it installed was $3K. Happy to see many of you were able to get Thor to replace your windshilds.
Uck. Good reason to move to Florida - no deductable for glass. Was your's the big or the small window? We have the new small one and I have not seen any reports of one of the new ones cracking - yet.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #18

Model: 2015 vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #1448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh.vines@att.net View Post
They replaced mine but first they wanted the serial number on the windshield like the glass was defective
Could you tell me where the serial number for the windshield is located?
Mi e cracked too.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:16 PM   #19

THOR #1589
Oneilkeys, our 25.2 has the bigger windshield. It was built in early May.

There must have been something in the install method that caused this problem for some of the 2016 units with the bigger windshield. I don't believe there has been any problem with the 2016's after the mid-year change to the shorter windshield.

It would be reassuring for Vegas/Axis owners for Thor to cover this apparent flaw beyond the warranty period.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:49 PM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djfred View Post
glad to hear you have been lucky with yours!Mine is a 15'when the glass tech subcontracted by my dealer replaced mine he told the dealer that the weight of the large windshield shifted in the sealant that was originally in there from factory install.I didn't watch him do the work so I don't know exactly what's in there,but no problems at all with the new one.I do notice that all of the threads with pictures show the cracks in the same place from the front pillar on the drivers side,exactly where mine was too.
If cracks are almost always on the drivers' side, it could also suggest that the underlying problem is not limited to the glass itself.