Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #10138
New to RV’ing Thor Purchase

Hello Thor Forum! I am wanting to get into a Class A RV....and very excited about it. I am retiring from the Air Force and am looking forward to seeing this beautiful country. I have been doing a lot of research (online, forums, You Tube, etc). I see a lot of mixed reviews for ALL RV manufacturers (some very bad and some very good). I am looking at purchasing a 2018 Thor Miramar 35.2 Looking for some advice, “yes” or “no” and why, and just some guidance from “seasoned” RV’ers. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance...safe travels.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to our little corner of the internet!
Don't forget to start writing down all of the questions that you can think of, while talking with the dealerships...
Good luck, and Thank You for serving our Country!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #3

THOR #10138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Welcome to our little corner of the internet!

Don't forget to start writing down all of the questions that you can think of, while talking with the dealerships...

Good luck, and Thank You for serving our Country!

Thank you! Will start the “list”.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
There's a TON of folks in here who can help you with some really good questions that should be asked...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:15 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 35.2
State: Illinois
THOR #7085
we just got our 35.2 at the start of the month, and only had it out 1 night so far. We LOVE the layout and floor space(so do the 3 Border collies)!! We have it in for service after the "shakedown" list, and we're eagerly looking forward to Spring when we can get out more!! This is our 2nd THOR (ACE 29.2 for 2 years), and returned to THOR based on our earlier experiences. Let us know when you get your coach!!
Michael
Old 11-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
We are also in our second Thor! Had virtually zero problems with our first Thor so when it was time to trade we chose Thor again and are super happy with our choice!!!

First, make sure you find a good dealer that will stand behind their products. Check out the service department. Most coaches can be purchased for 20-30% off of list. Check the prices at mshrv.com, largest dealer in the world, use their prices as a starting point for negotiations. Decide how long you will be in the coach on each trip and how many people will be with you. What amenities are important, spend time sitting in various areas of the coach and will you be comfortable for extended periods of time.

Best wishes in your search! Their are lots of Great and experienced people on this forum that will be happy to assist with any questions you may have!
Old 11-27-2017, 10:24 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Welcome! You will find a lot of great advice here and lots of experience. Don't be afraid to ask questions.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 10:37 PM   #8

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
Thanks for your service, Air Force Guy. I have many happy experiences from being an Air Force BRAT!!!! Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:50 PM   #9

THOR #10138
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwartzees View Post
we just got our 35.2 at the start of the month, and only had it out 1 night so far. We LOVE the layout and floor space(so do the 3 Border collies)!! We have it in for service after the "shakedown" list, and we're eagerly looking forward to Spring when we can get out more!! This is our 2nd THOR (ACE 29.2 for 2 years), and returned to THOR based on our earlier experiences. Let us know when you get your coach!!

Michael

Congrats on your new Thor! Thanks for the info...looking forward to RV’ing. We were very happy with the layout and the room the 35.2 offers.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:53 PM   #10

THOR #10138
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
We are also in our second Thor! Had virtually zero problems with our first Thor so when it was time to trade we chose Thor again and are super happy with our choice!!!

First, make sure you find a good dealer that will stand behind their products. Check out the service department. Most coaches can be purchased for 20-30% off of list. Check the prices at mshrv.com, largest dealer in the world, use their prices as a starting point for negotiations. Decide how long you will be in the coach on each trip and how many people will be with you. What amenities are important, spend time sitting in various areas of the coach and will you be comfortable for extended periods of time.

Best wishes in your search! Their are lots of Great and experienced people on this forum that will be happy to assist with any questions you may have!

Thank you for the info. It is a lot to research and look over...but, very exciting. I have been looking at MRSH, General RV, Lazy Days and Total Value RV in Indiana. Been starting to “wheel and deal”...so far so good...
Old 11-27-2017, 10:54 PM   #11

THOR #10138
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmihalk View Post
Welcome! You will find a lot of great advice here and lots of experience. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thank you!
Old 11-27-2017, 10:55 PM   #12

THOR #10138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawpaw's House View Post
Thanks for your service, Air Force Guy. I have many happy experiences from being an Air Force BRAT!!!! Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood.

Thanks for the invite. Very excited...trying to do as much research as possible before making the purchase.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:52 AM   #13

Model: 34J
State: Florida
THOR #8707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force Guy View Post
Thank you for the info. It is a lot to research and look over...but, very exciting. I have been looking at MRSH, General RV, Lazy Days and Total Value RV in Indiana. Been starting to “wheel and deal”...so far so good...
Consider in advance where you will go for warranty service. Dealer's like General will not even work on it if you didn't purchase it there. Some dealers have 2 waiting lines, 1 for those who purchased there and the other for those that purchased elsewhere.

Its at least looking into it before purchase. I found out after purchase of our Windsport.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #14

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Virginia
THOR #5560
Very happy Miramar Owners here! Just make sure to do a thorough walk-thru and ask questions.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #7157
Get the best price then take it to the dealer within reasonable distance from you with a respected service Dept. And negotiate the purchase.
Another is buying a rig then finding out the frame was manufactured in the previous year. Unfortunately it will be titled as a unit built in the previous year.
Get a residential refrigerator if you intend to be out in it for extended periods.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:08 PM   #16

Model: 2017 Windsport 34J
State: Alabama
THOR #5645
My 2 cents worth

I'm on my 4th RV but my 1st THOR. I was drawn to THOR because of the "bang for the buck" ratio and the floorplans. I considered both the Miramar and the Windsport. The Windsport won out because the Miramar's height, 22.5" tires and price were negatives (for me) that outweighed its really good points.
As stated above, you are rolling the dice when you buy an RV. You may get a jewel that doesn't have any problems or you may get one that stays in the shop more than on the road. The good news is that THOR is pretty good about letting independent shops do warranty work.
I don't know about Illinois but here in Alabama a MH is titled on model year. If it is a 2017 model on a 2016 chassis it will be titled as a 2017.
Get a couple of quotes if you can. I got a quote from MHRSV and the local dealer matched it.
I hope you enjoy whatever you get as much as we have enjoyed our Windsport!
WarEagleDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:09 PM   #17

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1123
[QUOTE=WarEagleDan;99531]

I don't know about Illinois but here in Alabama a MH is titled on model year. If it is a 2017 model on a 2016 chassis it will be titled as a 2017.

Georgia is just the opposite. A 2016 chassis is titled as a 2016.

BTW....War Eagle!!!
Old 11-28-2017, 11:32 PM   #18

Model: Challenger 37KT
THOR #7157
[QUOTE=Larry;99548]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagleDan View Post

Georgia is just the opposite. A 2016 chassis is titled as a 2016.

BTW....War Eagle!!!

FYI traded it in Texas and showed the Dealer the original sales agreement and data that RV came off the assembly line in March.. didn't matter the title listed the chassis built the year before. Cost me $4k.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:07 AM   #19

THOR #10138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Lynn S View Post
Get the best price then take it to the dealer within reasonable distance from you with a respected service Dept. And negotiate the purchase.
Another is buying a rig then finding out the frame was manufactured in the previous year. Unfortunately it will be titled as a unit built in the previous year.
Get a residential refrigerator if you intend to be out in it for extended periods.

[emoji1303]
Old 11-29-2017, 12:08 AM   #20

THOR #10138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Lynn S View Post

Thank you for the info! Much appreciated