Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2015, 10:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.2
State: Alabama
THOR #3139
Linking Axxera AV614BH to Galaxy S5 smartphone?

Just purchased an Axis 25.2 and am trying to link my smartphone to the Axxera AV614BH Multimedia Receiver. I have not been able to link them with the cable the Axxera manual recommended that I purchase. Do I need an app or something?

Old 11-08-2015, 11:32 PM   #2

State: New York
THOR #3192
Bluetooth

I thought it was connected by Bluetooth and not a cable. Try your Bluetooth settings on your phone and pair with the receiver.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:04 AM   #3

THOR #3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1023 View Post
I thought it was connected by Bluetooth and not a cable. Try your Bluetooth settings on your phone and pair with the receiver.
Yes Bluetooth links fine for music. I am referring to the Dual mirror capability that projects what's on the smartphone screen on to the axxera screen n all that requires is this sl113 or sl 115 cable to link them according to axxera manual. Want to use especially for maps capability for navigation. Thanks for reply!
Old 11-09-2015, 12:39 AM   #4

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Welcome to the forum to both of you, and congratulations relush on your purchase!

Hope someone can answer your question, as I haven't yet been successful linking my android phone, either. I stalled out when I read that I had to go buy a cable.

As a perhaps better alternative, DW handles the phone and relays the navigation info, and I keep my eyes on the road and the traffic.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:57 AM   #5

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Hook ups

In the manual it looks like you to connect an HDMI cable to your Galaxy S5 and then to the rear HDMI input. Typically those cables require a power source, thus the USB connection for charging only. I would think any USB charging cable will suffice for this charging.

Not sure how your AV614 is mounted in your coach but I wouldn't want to refer to mine. Long ways from my typical driver's view. I use a separate RV GPS mounted just to the upper left of my instrument cluster.

PS: Here is the AV614 Manual.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AV614BH Manual.pdf (2.45 MB, 103 views)
Old 11-09-2015, 02:48 AM   #6

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #2521
I somehow managed to get my Galaxy S5 to mirror successfully. However, the phone seemed to get hotter than I cared for and the Axxera screen is not located in a very optimal location. You have to take your eyes off the road to see it. And if you want to figure out what it is showing you, you also need to lean over a bit. I decided this was not a very good solution and unhooked it. I ended up with a suction mount for the S5 on top of the radio. My eyes never have to leave the road now.
I only hooked it up the one time. It was back in August when I tried it so I do not recall if there was anything special I had to do to make it work other than just plugging it in and selecting the mirroring mode on the Axxera.
With Christmas coming, I'll more than likely get myself a stand-alone GPS.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:52 AM   #7

THOR #3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
In the manual it looks like you to connect an HDMI cable to your Galaxy S5 and then to the rear HDMI input. Typically those cables require a power source, thus the USB connection for charging only. I would think any USB charging cable will suffice for this charging.

Not sure how your AV614 is mounted in your coach but I wouldn't want to refer to mine. Long ways from my typical driver's view. I use a separate RV GPS mounted just to the upper left of my instrument cluster.

PS: Here is the AV614 Manual.
Yes I got the cable online for 25. Everything connects fine. Phone says hdmi cable is connected, phone is charging. Just no image from phone being transferred to axxera screen. Wondering if I need an app or something.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:57 AM   #8

THOR #3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S View Post
I somehow managed to get my Galaxy S5 to mirror successfully. However, the phone seemed to get hotter than I cared for and the Axxera screen is not located in a very optimal location. You have to take your eyes off the road to see it. And if you want to figure out what it is showing you, you also need to lean over a bit. I decided this was not a very good solution and unhooked it. I ended up with a suction mount for the S5 on top of the radio. My eyes never have to leave the road now.
I only hooked it up the one time. It was back in August when I tried it so I do not recall if there was anything special I had to do to make it work other than just plugging it in and selecting the mirroring mode on the Axxera.
With Christmas coming, I'll more than likely get myself a stand-alone GPS.
Thanks for the reply! You are probably right about the axxera's screen location and I'm better off securing my phone like you have. Just frustrated trying to make them link you know?
Old 11-09-2015, 03:31 AM   #9

THOR #3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Welcome to the forum to both of you, and congratulations relush on your purchase!

Hope someone can answer your question, as I haven't yet been successful linking my android phone, either. I stalled out when I read that I had to go buy a cable.

As a perhaps better alternative, DW handles the phone and relays the navigation info, and I keep my eyes on the road and the traffic.
Great advice! Much safer way to navigate! Thanks!
Old 11-09-2015, 10:29 AM   #10

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
I have not been able to make it work with my iPhone either.

KC
Old 11-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #11

THOR #3139
I am not sure it's worth the effort for what you get. Probably something simple that geeks understand. Just frustrated trying to make it work when they make it sound so simple.... Grrrr!
Old 11-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #12

THOR #1020
I have plugged my Android cell phone and my DW's iPhone into the front USB port. This acts as a MP3 player showing the tunes on the screen. The front HDMI is outputted to the external TV. Have never used to mirror the cell phone screen because I am not sure how I can use that. I am an old "geek" and I am sure it will work as described. I am sure you can find the cable combination to use the HDMI port but again not sure what it is going to gain you.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:51 PM   #13

THOR #3139
Thanks for reply "old geek"! I agree with you regarding what I gain by successfully mirroring my smartphone screen. I was thinking it would be nice to display a larger navigation map from Google maps but quite a distance away from where I should be looking.!

You say front hdmi outputs to external TV. Is that like one of the other larger tvs in the coach? I have three. One in living rm one in bed rm n one outside. Does it output to one of them?

Thanks again big Ben!
Old 11-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #14

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Also check the Axxera website. There are two files available to upgrade the radio. You have to load them separately and reset the radio. The website has the files to download and the instructions.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #15

THOR #1020
relush - glad to help. I have 4 TVs inside and 1 outside. My HDMI controller handles the TVs inside but not the outside one. So to send a HDMI signal to the outside TV the HDMI on the front panel of AV614 is used. Not sure how your coach is wired. But that is how mine works. (Note: I have 37TB with 2 rear bunks).

I really like our AV614 - it does everything I need - camera, bluetooth, and phone.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #16

THOR #3139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Also check the Axxera website. There are two files available to upgrade the radio. You have to load them separately and reset the radio. The website has the files to download and the instructions.
Thanks a lot! I will check that out.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:04 PM   #17

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I was able too mirror my iPhone on the first attempt. To everyone out there still trying here is my advice - don't bother. The quality of the screen is such that it is barely readable. Plus the image does not fill the whole screen. I linked it up one time and have never bothered since.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
relush - glad to help. I have 4 TVs inside and 1 outside. My HDMI controller handles the TVs inside but not the outside one. So to send a HDMI signal to the outside TV the HDMI on the front panel of AV614 is used. Not sure how your coach is wired. But that is how mine works. (Note: I have 37TB with 2 rear bunks).

I really like our AV614 - it does everything I need - camera, bluetooth, and phone.
BigBen,

Interesting that your HDMI switch does not control the outside television. Mine does, however, I do not have a bunk house and only have 3 televisions.

Have you checked to see if you have an HDMI cable running from the outside TV to the HDMI switch or to the location of the switch?

I can't remember how many televisions the switch can control. I do remember that it can control 2 inputs (components).
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
Has anyone gotten the update to work? I have read posts where folks could not get one of the two required files to unzip.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #20

THOR #1020
Dave, you are correct on the 2 inputs (handy for Dish and disc player). But it can only output to 4 tvs. So 1 in living room, 2 in bunks and 1 in bedroom. Not a big deal. I also put can watch Dish via a switch on cable tv distribution outside.

By the way - I put in Nextgen Remote Extender Plus. Works great throughout the coach with the access door closed.