Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Two issues for us with beds in a narrow and deep slide like this is that you have to start at feet end of bed and then crawl into position, and once there it feels a little like a cave.

I haven't owned a bed slide like this, but tried one and didn't like the way it felt. And I don't mind enclosed or tight places. There is something about my upper body being stuck in the slide that feels very unnatural.

By contrast having feet or legs in tight space while upper body is out in open feels much better to me.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #22

State: New Mexico
THOR #2948
Winnebago is joining Thor in making a Transit-based RV, a 24-foot Class C model called the Fuse. Good to see the acclaimed Transit is gaining traction with American manufacturers. RV Business suggests there’s a third American RV manufacturer now using it—but I can’t think of any outside of Sportsmobile (does anybody know of any others?): “The rear-wheel-drive Transit..has indeed been making inroads this fall in the U.S. RV marketplace with at least two competitors also introducing Transit-based C’s.”

No mention of the wheelbase that Winnebago is using, but unlike the van, the Transit cutaway also comes in a 178 inch version. And with a dualie option too. But unlike the van, and as noted earlier here, there is no EcoBoost option for the cutaway.
(http://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/transitchassis/)

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x533 and weights 488KB.

Winnebago Debuting ‘Fuse’ Class C in Louisville | RV Business
Old 10-29-2015, 11:44 PM   #23

THOR #2121
"Winnebago Vice President of Sales and Product Management Scott Degnan says American consumers have shown an interest recently in smaller, more European-style coaches that are under 26 feet in length and are easier to drive and park."

I'm personally not a big fan of Ford Transit but I'm glad to see manufacturers are aware of a demand for sub-26-feet motorhomes.

One point I don't get is why do US manufacturers pursue the "Euro" style but immediately abandon the typical Euro floorplans that work so well there in that size motorhome.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #24

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfire View Post
....cut.... RV Business suggests there’s a third American RV manufacturer now using it—but I can’t think of any outside of Sportsmobile (does anybody know of any others?)
Coachmen just introduced their own version of the Ford Transit compact Class C.

Two major differences are that it doesn't have a slide, and the specs show it having the 3.7L gasoline V6 instead of the diesel. Because of these two differences, the cost and the weight are lower. This leads to higher cargo carrying capacity given the limited GVWR of the Transit chassis.

The only picture I've seen of the inside makes it look fairly open for such a small motorhome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	192.9 KB
ID:	1055  
Old 11-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #25

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Here's a great 22 minute video review. At first look, the new Fuse 23T is much like the 25.3, but it appears that there is much less storage, both inside and out. Will be interesting to see the pricing, the diesel power pushes the cost up.

These Transit based RVs will give the winter RV shows some extra excitement for those of us who want compact units without amenity compromises!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #26

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Saw one today when I was at our Thor dealer. Didn't see inside, but it was pulled up next to mine as I was waiting for service to write up my ticket. Since it was right alongside my Vegas 24.1, I can tell you -- it is really small. I can't imagine the premium amount of storage and the shower must make my Vegas shower look like a spa.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 12:25 PM   #27
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
SportsMobile is also doing the conversions on the Transit. On their website they list the diesel as a 5K option.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:43 PM   #28

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
SportsMobile is also doing the conversions on the Transit. On their website they list the diesel as a 5K option.
Yes, and to that cost premium for the diesel we also have to add the higher cost of a diesel generator, or else going with propane generator which need larger tanks. And frequent LP refueling.

Plus the diesel adds hundreds of pounds of weight, reducing the Cargo Carrying Capacity significantly.

There are people who enjoy the low-end torque of a diesel. In a small RV I'll take the higher gasoline horsepower and let transmission shift when needed. That's why it's there.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #29

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfire View Post
In small RVs storage is at a premium of course. So what baffles me is Thor's decision to favor the mere cosmetics of a nice homey bedroom over practical utility in this Compass/Gemini. Why have open, shelved display cases flanking the bed rather than closed cabinets in the same space that could be used for actual storage (cabinets that look as if they also could be a few inches deeper and wider)? And really, who wants to travel with unsecured knick-knacks and framed pictures in a moving vehicle?

Also, while the open skylighted area above the cockpit surely enhances the sense of interior spaciousness and light, and might improve the momentary ease of access to the rear, I would prefer the far greater utility of an over-the-cab storage locker there.

Oooh, that skylight "looks" pretty. But, it would be torture if driving on a hot summer day at noon! it does not appear to have a cover.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:49 PM   #30

THOR #2121
Unlike Thor and Winnebago, Coachmen took a different path with Transit.

It's gas instead of diesel, has no slide, and they went with Class C design instead of Class B+. Not as nice looking as the Thor or Winnebago, but extra bed useful.

Unloaded weight is listed at 8,200 pounds, leaving over 2,000 pounds for cargo. Seems excellent for such a small and inexpensive RV.

I don't like Transits but want to see one. The bed over the cab may be an issue because it appears to lack headroom. And sink location hard to understand.

With such low weight and small size, and a small 3.7L V6, it should be at top of gasoline fuel economy for Class C RVs.

2016 Coachmen Freelander Micro 20CBT, Class C RV For Sale in Davis, California | American River RV, Inc | RVT.com - 130181
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	355
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1094  
Old 11-24-2015, 05:01 PM   #31

THOR #2948
Chance, thanks for the link to that 20CBT listing. Lots of good photos there, and an interesting price of $62,900. But even more interesting is the fact that this Davis CA dealer already has one these for sale, here in November, when I think I read elsewhere that Coachmen's 20CBT production would start in December, with dealers getting their first vehicles in January.

Btw, what specifically is it about the Transit that you don't like?

EDIT: nearly 3K miles on that odometer. Maybe this is the 20CBT prototype that's up for sale. Although if it was driven from Coachmen's Indiana factory I imagine that would account for over 2K miles right there.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:07 PM   #32

THOR #2121
Agree it may be a prototype. Let's hope they do something about moving the sink so it's not right next to bed. I can see normal splashing while washing dishes getting the bed all wet. If these companies didn't try to cram so much stuff in smaller space the motorhomes would be more livable. In this case if the single side-facing seat was eliminated, the kitchen could be all along curbside wall, making the kitchen bigger, the middle aisle wider, access to bed better, and sink wouldn't be next to bed. I honestly don't get why designers don't do a better job. That's a lot of compromise just to add one extra seat.

Anyway, the Transit has features I like, but some are hard to accept. And it's not just me, my wife and son made same comments.

Compared to E-Series, I don't like that seats are so close. I like the wide spacing you see on Class As.

The parking brake next to driver prevents seat from swiveling, and makes foot room between seats even tighter when moving to back of coach.

The transmission has a tunnel over it so the floor is not flat like the E-Series. Getting in and out of seats from inside coach is much harder. I expect older and or heavier people will hate that.

I don't like Ford electronics. Every time we rent Ford cars at airports it takes too much effort to figure it out. It's not intuitive.

Finally, I'm not crazy about truck engines that have to work hard to be efficient to have aluminum blocks. Ford "real" truck engines have iron-based blocks; including the newest 2.7L EcoBoost V6 first designed for F-150.

None of these are major issues, but put together I prefer the heavier duty E-Series for a motorhome. But I'll keep an open mind.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:15 PM   #33
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I agree about the sink. They didn't even think to put a short backsplash there.

I would imagine the drive from the factory plus driving it around to shows would account for the mileage. Especially if this was the first one they got (could have been taking it all over the place to show it off). (I've seen an Axis/Vegas or two with some "extra" miles on it at a show.)

Looks like the over cab bed should only be used for pets given how short it is.

Interesting the official Coachmen page is all TBD for specs:
http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-de...elID=2048#Main
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:54 PM   #34

THOR #2948
Curiosity overcame me, I emailed American River RV. They claim:
"This is not the prototype however it is one of the first units to be built for dealers for sale."

Old 11-25-2015, 12:45 AM   #35

THOR #2121
I'd like to read an objective test of this Compact Coachmen Class C, done by Motorhome Magazine or the like.

If fuel economy is not at least 12+ MPG, I expect demand will be very limited.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #36

THOR #2948
Thor's 26-min video promo for the Gemini:
Old 11-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #37

THOR #2121
Pleasure-Way will introduce a new B+ at the Louisville national show in a few days. While not on a Transit chassis, it confirms for me that manufacturers are taking smaller RVs more seriously.

Pleasure-Way Rolls out New B-Plus in Louisville | RV Business

This one is on Sprinter chassis, and is only 22-ft long. The description of the twin beds converting to a king-size, much like the Axis 24.1, is interesting in such a small unit.

I wonder if the beds also double as a dinette like on many vans (since that's what Pleasure-Way is known for), or if they have a small eating area in front much like Euro compact motorhomes?

List price is high compared to Axis/Vegas, but lower than some Class Bs.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	540
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1106  
Old 11-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #38
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Pleasure-Way will introduce a new B+ at the Louisville national show in a few days. While not on a Transit chassis, it confirms for me that manufacturers are taking smaller RVs more seriously.

Pleasure-Way Rolls out New B-Plus in Louisville | RV Business

This one is on Sprinter chassis, and is only 22-ft long. The description of the twin beds converting to a king-size, much like the Axis 24.1, is interesting in such a small unit.

I wonder if the beds also double as a dinette like on many vans (since that's what Pleasure-Way is known for), or if they have a small eating area in front much like Euro compact motorhomes?

List price is high compared to Axis/Vegas, but lower than some Class Bs.
They are adding a floor plan to an existing model. The Plateau has been around for at least a year with many 2015 Plateau XLs available for sale.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #39

THOR #2121
If looking for small RV and diesel fuel economy, this price for the new Transit-based Compass at the Houston RV Show seems attractive. On the other hand there was very little we liked about the small motorhome. People who walked in while we were inside mostly made extremely negative comments so we were not alone.

And I hate to be critical, but the Ford Transit makes a horrible motorhome platform from what we saw. It will be interesting to see how they do from numerous manufacturers. Because of the automobile-like seating position, when the passenger seat is swiveled back it is so low to floor that it's literally hard to get in and out without grabbing an overhead bar. Older or larger people will find it next to impossible.

And then the driver's seat doesn't rotate because of parking brake. And getting in and out of driver's seat towards motorhome is also very difficult due to low seats and narrow distance between seats, not to mention a transmission hump that other vans don't have (except for Sprinter, but that's much smaller and easier to get in and out of seat).

This chassis may be more efficient and drive better than the E-Series, but I'd take the old chassis and cab for a motorhome any day. The cramped cab is a deal breaker for us for motorhome use. Ford eliminated the doghouse and still managed to make it worse in my opinion.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	285
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1408  
Old 03-25-2016, 11:48 PM   #40

Model: Majestic 23A
State: Virginia
THOR #950
A European Ford Transit RV pulled in next to me the other night. The owners had it shipped over from Germany and are currently vacationing in the U.S and Canada. I must say that I was impressed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	koah03242016dl.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	1649