Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2016, 01:41 AM   #41
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
We considered those, but all were priced higher than Vegas, and came with sacrifices in space and living area. A corner bed was a deal breaker on any coach.
Same for us...previously, we had a corner bed and an end bed...hence the decision to go with the Axis 24.1 !!
When I discovered the 2017 Trend today..I looked at the floorplan...it is sooo small...I am sure it will work for some...but not for us...
We are so happy with the 24.1 ... wish we had more time to LIVE in it !!

K

Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:50 AM   #42

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Googled Gas Motorhomes with twin beds...this is on RV Trader..

2017 WINNEBAGO TREND 23D NEW
2016 DYNAMAX CORP REV 24TB
2006 PHOENIX USA CRUISER 2551

so they are out there...they have slides up front...
we researched the Phoenix Cruiser before we bought our Axis...

So many options !
Thanks for suggestions. The REV 24TB was the motorhome I was referring to in previous post. I had not seen that floorplan prior to a couple of days ago. It's got a lot going for it; like a mini-Axis 24.1.

Other REVs I've seen appeared well built, but on the heavy side for a 9,350-pound chassis. One owner reported that actual rear axle weight was at GAWR. Other research I did on REVs suggest that passenger and cargo carrying capacity is generally just above 1,000 pounds. Towing is limited to 2,000 pounds.

Like they say, the Devil is in the details. Lack of forward-facing seats for car seats is pretty much a deal breaker. Also, given that they get about 12 to 13 MPG, I'd be stopping for fuel every 250 miles; or about twice as often as I prefer. And if that's not bad enough, I personally wouldn't buy a ProMaster Class C until Fiat/Chrysler installs a much beefier transmission.

As of right now the Axis looks best in general. Best value. Best towing. Best range. Best sleeping arrangement. Just need different floorplan.

By the way, here is REV floorplan which resembles 24.1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	2024  
Old 05-19-2016, 03:58 AM   #43

State: Florida
THOR #4103
The sofas in the first two look like bench seats in a vintage station wagon....not too comfy. The second one doesn't have a slide. That living area is tight. I like that you can set up the table between the front seats of the 24.1.

The 24.1 would be perfect if the shower was a bit bigger! I give it a 9.95 on the floor plan to meet my needs.

I'm getting cold feet after seeing all those modifications! My dad is 85 and not as handy as he was back in the day. And I'm not one bit handy...I'm thinking what does a 52 yr old single woman need a RV for. Lol. Granted I own a beautiful RV lot in the keys. But I live in a gorgeous home on the water in sunny Florida. My dad is really into this RV...he hates to fly and his caddy is not as comfy for traveling. He is pushing hard for this! Decisions decisions!
Old 05-19-2016, 04:09 AM   #44

THOR #4103
Has anyone looked at the Trek?

Trek.

There is a model that works if I sleep on the couch.

It's the 26hms.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:13 AM   #45
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Thanks for suggestions. The REV 24TB was the motorhome I was referring to in previous post. I had not seen that floorplan prior to a couple of days ago. It's got a lot going for it; like a mini-Axis 24.1.

Other REVs I've seen appeared well built, but on the heavy side for a 9,350-pound chassis. One owner reported that actual rear axle weight was at GAWR. Other research I did on REVs suggest that passenger and cargo carrying capacity is generally just above 1,000 pounds. Towing is limited to 2,000 pounds.

Like they say, the Devil is in the details. Lack of forward-facing seats for car seats is pretty much a deal breaker. Also, given that they get about 12 to 13 MPG, I'd be stopping for fuel every 250 miles; or about twice as often as I prefer. And if that's not bad enough, I personally wouldn't buy a ProMaster Class C until Fiat/Chrysler installs a much beefier transmission.

As of right now the Axis looks best in general. Best value. Best towing. Best range. Best sleeping arrangement. Just need different floorplan.

By the way, here is REV floorplan which resembles 24.1.
That was they way we felt before purchasing the Axis...we looked and looked and kept coming back to the Axis...overall floorplan, storage, etc. .. every aspect was better than any others.
From what you have said previously...the REV probably wouldn't meet what you need capacity wise, would it ?
As you know, Diesel will get you better mpg, but with that you pay the price for the engine!
In both of our previous motorhomes, a B, B+, we were lucky to get over 13.

Searching is fun ... even tho we have found our final RV...we still like to look at what is out there !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #46
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeTheDive
I'm getting cold feet after seeing all those modifications! My dad is 85 and not as handy as he was back in the day. And I'm not one bit handy...I'm thinking what does a 52 yr old single woman need a RV for. Lol. Granted I own a beautiful RV lot in the keys. But I live in a gorgeous home on the water in sunny Florida. My dad is really into this RV...he hates to fly and his caddy is not as comfy for traveling. He is pushing hard for this! Decisions decisions!
Don't let all the mods get you down: They all are optional. Just things some of us have done to make life a bit easier in the RV. You could be perfectly happy driving around a bone stock RV. Also keep in mind that some of us like to tinker with the RV..its a thing

Quote:

Trek.

It's the 26hms.
I think you'll find the Trek to be much larger than the Axis/Vegas units as its built on the same F-53 Ford chassis as the larger Thor's (like the ACE).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #47

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Takethedive,

My RV allows me to be a teenager again and "Customize" my ride. When I got my 62 Chevy Nova in 1970 I had to put bigger wheels on it, mud flaps and "curb feelers"!

Every vehicle I have had since has had mud flaps, window rain guards and Weather Tech floor mats as a minimum "Customize". Oh yeah, both trucks had to have chrome running boards. The RV just has more areas to "Customize" or "MOD".

Bottom line, don't let the "MODs" spook you off the idea.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:42 PM   #48

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
I'm at my dealer's this AM for oil change. They have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 with a sales tag that says $69,900. Dealer is General RV (20 miles east of Tampa on I-4) in Dover Fl.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #49
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeTheDive View Post
The sofas in the first two look like bench seats in a vintage station wagon....not too comfy. The second one doesn't have a slide. That living area is tight. I like that you can set up the table between the front seats of the 24.1.

The 24.1 would be perfect if the shower was a bit bigger! I give it a 9.95 on the floor plan to meet my needs.

Good Morning !! ditto to our fellow forum folks regarding the mods...
We have not done much to our Axis....put a cutting block over the kitchen sink to allow a bit more usable space...other than that...we are good to go !!
Oh, we did 'cat proof' our couch and drivers/shotgun seats .. that's it, pretty much. From a womans point of view..I made sure the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen has all the necessary stuff and made it feel like home..I am the 'tech' person in our family...so I check out the tv's/radios..make sure we have movies and music if we stay in a remote area where reception is poor.
Anything else that gets done is a 'man thing' .. Ron loves to tinker..just like all the other men on this forum...so, other than the wheel alignment etc...don't think you must do all the stuff everyone talks about !!
Don't worry about the bathroom...we all seem to adjust..and when those doors are in the open position, you have lots of room. The shower is not as big as what we have at home...but it works.

Your new Axis 24.1 (if you decide to take the plunge) .. will make you happy !
Take advantage of that RV lot on the Keys !!! Enjoy it !! and dont sleep on the couch....you will hate camping if you wind up sleeping on the couch !!

Happy day !
Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 05-19-2016, 01:09 PM   #50

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:

Trek.

It's the 26hms.
The bed system on the 26hms is really neat, it must take up quite a bit of storage underneath but kinda gives you an extra room. As stated it is a different type of RV compared to Axis/Vegas.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #51

THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut....

I can relate somewhat to your situation with your dad.

We are now caring for a 92 and an 89 year old. We took them on a 5,000-mile trip about 4 years ago because traveling by car and staying in hotels was too difficult. Granted, staying in a rented 30-foot Class C for 3 weeks wasn't easy either. In retrospect we don't regret it at all; particularly since it may have been our last trip together. Certainly the last multi-week trip.

If we buy an Axis-size motorhome soon (hopefully before football season) we "may" try to take them on a short 1-week trip in the Fall to get them out, but that window is closing fast. By Spring next year that may not be an option.

I'm trying to say that if it's important to you and your dad and can afford it I'd go for it. And if you are hesitant about being responsible for an RV (and that's a valid concern for many owners) I recommend you rent for a week or so and try it. Renting can be expensive but making a purchase mistake more so.

Wish you luck whichever way you decide. I know it's not easy.
Old 05-19-2016, 04:15 PM   #52

THOR #2121
Quote:

Trek.

It's the 26hms.
P.S. -- One of the main differences I find between a traditional gasoline Class A and a Class C (or Axis/Vegas by extension) is that the doghouse over engine can be more difficult to climb over. In F53 chassis motorhomes (most gasoline Class As) the engine sits more between seats. In Class Cs and Axis/Vegas the engine sits farther ahead of seats (actually more like seats are further back behind engine).

Those with mobility limitations may find crawling over engine doghouse more difficult on Trek than on Axis/Vegas unless they spin seat backwards and then rotate forward again. Just something to consider.
Old 05-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #53

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I really thought I wanted an F-53 chassis after driving my 2014 Vegas for two years and after upgrading from a Class B and 22' Class C before the Vegas. I looked at about every gas Class A on an F-53 chassis and finally decided to buy a 2016 Axis. The F-53 is 10" wider, the smallest F-53 RV is 2' longer than the Vegas/Axis and the 22.5" tires make it higher off the ground and more difficult to get into. Bigger, heavier, wider, longer, worst gas mileage. I could not find an F-53 chassis RV under 30' that I liked better than the Axis/Vegas - so I bought another one. I could not sell my wife on a bigger RV, nor could I sell myself. I have always believed that the smallest boat (and RV) that meets your needs is the best one for you. I have had too many friends who buy a bigger boat or RV until it is so big that they end up with it sitting in their driveway or at the dock. On the other hand, it is just as important that it be big enough to meet your needs as well. That balance is one of the keys to successful RVing and boating - in my opinion.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #54

THOR #4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevedfelker View Post
I'm at my dealer's this AM for oil change. They have a 2016 Vegas 24.1 with a sales tag that says $69,900. Dealer is General RV (20 miles east of Tampa on I-4) in Dover Fl.

They have had that one online. I spoke to them. They keep telling me a dealer fee and no additional shipping. Some folks are telling me shipping to fl is about $2k.

My dad has not been well this week. think it's a combo thing. A dear friend's father died yesterday.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #55

THOR #4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Takethedive,

My RV allows me to be a teenager again and "Customize" my ride. When I got my 62 Chevy Nova in 1970 I had to put bigger wheels on it, mud flaps and "curb feelers"!

Every vehicle I have had since has had mud flaps, window rain guards and Weather Tech floor mats as a minimum "Customize". Oh yeah, both trucks had to have chrome running boards. The RV just has more areas to "Customize" or "MOD".

Bottom line, don't let the "MODs" spook you off the idea.

Doc
LOL. My very first car was a Z28. I was 15 when my parents bought me a demo with about 2,000 miles on it. It was 100% stock. I loved that car! A friend of mine still owns it. :-).
Old 05-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #56

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I really thought I wanted an F-53 chassis after driving my 2014 Vegas for two years and after upgrading from a Class B and 22' Class C before the Vegas. I looked at about every gas Class A on an F-53 chassis and finally decided to buy a 2016 Axis. The F-53 is 10" wider, the smallest F-53 RV is 2' longer than the Vegas/Axis and the 22.5" tires make it higher off the ground and more difficult to get into. Bigger, heavier, wider, longer, worst gas mileage. I could not find an F-53 chassis RV under 30' that I liked better than the Axis/Vegas - so I bought another one. I could not sell my wife on a bigger RV, nor could I sell myself. I have always believed that the smallest boat (and RV) that meets your needs is the best one for you. I have had too many friends who buy a bigger boat or RV until it is so big that they end up with it sitting in their driveway or at the dock. On the other hand, it is just as important that it be big enough to meet your needs as well. That balance is one of the keys to successful RVing and boating - in my opinion.
The height issue with many F53-chassis motorhomes shouldn't be blamed entirely on the chassis itself.

If we look at Ford specs, the difference can be as little as 5-inches to top of frame rail between E-Series and smaller F-53 chassis (which have 19.5-inch wheels), but then manufacturers often add a lot above that to get pass-through basement storage or whatever they are trying to accomplish. It's no wonder some of these top-heavy motorhomes are unstable and hard to drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	2026  
Old 05-19-2016, 08:58 PM   #57
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
If we look at Ford specs, the difference can be as little as 5-inches to top of frame rail between E-Series and smaller F-53 chassis
5 inches is about one step..that is a lot.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:08 PM   #58

THOR #4103
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Good Morning !! ditto to our fellow forum folks regarding the mods...
We have not done much to our Axis....put a cutting block over the kitchen sink to allow a bit more usable space...other than that...we are good to go !!
Oh, we did 'cat proof' our couch and drivers/shotgun seats .. that's it, pretty much. From a womans point of view..I made sure the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen has all the necessary stuff and made it feel like home..I am the 'tech' person in our family...so I check out the tv's/radios..make sure we have movies and music if we stay in a remote area where reception is poor.
Anything else that gets done is a 'man thing' .. Ron loves to tinker..just like all the other men on this forum...so, other than the wheel alignment etc...don't think you must do all the stuff everyone talks about !!
Don't worry about the bathroom...we all seem to adjust..and when those doors are in the open position, you have lots of room. The shower is not as big as what we have at home...but it works.

Your new Axis 24.1 (if you decide to take the plunge) .. will make you happy !
Take advantage of that RV lot on the Keys !!! Enjoy it !! and dont sleep on the couch....you will hate camping if you wind up sleeping on the couch !!

Happy day !
Kay

Thanks for your kind words! I will be in charge of everything...dad, driving , pups etc. the sewer and water hoses are not my cup of tea. Lol.

The keys lot is awesome...gorgeous sunsets on the water. :-).

We used lot for three years then I've rented out for about eight years.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:17 PM   #59

THOR #4103
Quote:
I can relate somewhat to your situation with your dad.

We are now caring for a 92 and an 89 year old. We took them on a 5,000-mile trip about 4 years ago because traveling by car and staying in hotels was too difficult. Granted, staying in a rented 30-foot Class C for 3 weeks wasn't easy either. In retrospect we don't regret it at all; particularly since it may have been our last trip together. Certainly the last multi-week trip.

If we buy an Axis-size motorhome soon (hopefully before football season) we "may" try to take them on a short 1-week trip in the Fall to get them out, but that window is closing fast. By Spring next year that may not be an option.

I'm trying to say that if it's important to you and your dad and can afford it I'd go for it. And if you are hesitant about being responsible for an RV (and that's a valid concern for many owners) I recommend you rent for a week or so and try it. Renting can be expensive but making a purchase mistake more so.

Wish you luck whichever way you decide. I know it's not easy.
Sounds like you had a nice trip! Hopefully you can head out again and take lots of photos!

I've owned an Airstream Land Yatch and dad has had all types of RVs. He used to take care of all the heavy lifting! Since he fell and broke his hip and femur, the heavy lifting ended. He is scheduled for a knee replacement in July...I think a purchase late August/Early Septemberis in the cards. I hate for it to sit her the month I'm in Europe and during dads surgery...just one more motor/battery I need to worry about. I have 5 cars now and a boat. Dad had 2 cars...it's a lot to deal with. I need to downsize.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:20 PM   #60

THOR #4103
Quote:
P.S. -- One of the main differences I find between a traditional gasoline Class A and a Class C (or Axis/Vegas by extension) is that the doghouse over engine can be more difficult to climb over. In F53 chassis motorhomes (most gasoline Class As) the engine sits more between seats. In Class Cs and Axis/Vegas the engine sits farther ahead of seats (actually more like seats are further back behind engine).

Those with mobility limitations may find crawling over engine doghouse more difficult on Trek than on Axis/Vegas unless they spin seat backwards and then rotate forward again. Just something to consider.
Good point...I've never been in the Trek. Just saw the floorplan. I thought the all new Trek was considered a class A.