Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
Hi
We just took our pre-owned 2018 Axis 24.2 on a little drive today to get more experience driving it. The only real drive we've had in it was driving it home from the dealer.
We had a class B van prior to this. It seemed like keeping the speed between 62-65 on the interstate made the coach ride better.
Is this what the rest of you have found?
Also, there is cruise control available.
Does anyone use this feature driving a big motorhome?
Sorry these seem like stupid questions but I would really like to know.
I do 62-65 on the open road and use the cruise all the time. It's great to be in the right hand lane and you don't have to touch the brake. People that want speed, go around me and the right hand lane usually runs at the speed limit so you seldom have to pass anyone.
Get this.....on a 4 hour trip....driving at 60 will get you 240 miles in those 4 hours. Driving at 65 only gets you 260 miles...in other words, an extra 5 mph over 4 hours amounts to more wear and tear, more bad road bumping, more gas usage and only 20 miles in that 4 hours. The extra mph sometimes amounts to nothing. How many pushers blow past on the road only to be seen at the next rest area as you pull out? So what's the advantage to all that flying??

Old 11-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #22

Model: 25.2 axis
State: South Carolina
THOR #3992
Newbie questions

The first thing I would do is find a place that can align the front end and set the champer .
I had this done to mine . Made a big difference and the way it drove. 65 works good for me any faster than that and just uses too much gas.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:00 PM   #23

Model: 3719 Newmar
State: Arkansas
THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post
I do 62-65 on the open road and use the cruise all the time. It's great to be in the right hand lane and you don't have to touch the brake. People that want speed, go around me and the right hand lane usually runs at the speed limit so you seldom have to pass anyone.
Get this.....on a 4 hour trip....driving at 60 will get you 240 miles in those 4 hours. Driving at 65 only gets you 260 miles...in other words, an extra 5 mph over 4 hours amounts to more wear and tear, more bad road bumping, more gas usage and only 20 miles in that 4 hours. The extra mph sometimes amounts to nothing. How many pushers blow past on the road only to be seen at the next rest area as you pull out? So what's the advantage to all that flying??

I agree. Most of the time I never pass anyone. The right lane is my friend. I have been in high traffic where the traffic doesn’t hold speed. That’s when I turn off the cruise.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:31 PM   #24

Model: Four Winds
State: Arizona
THOR #12097
I have a 25 foot Thor Four Winds and I too find 60 to 65 mph to be where it like to run, as does many other people, I think. I also run it on Cruise Control while we're out on the road and many times in conjunction if the Tow/Haul feature.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #25

THOR #10281
Quote:
Hi
We just took our pre-owned 2018 Axis 24.2 on a little drive today to get more experience driving it. The only real drive we've had in it was driving it home from the dealer.
We had a class B van prior to this. It seemed like keeping the speed between 62-65 on the interstate made the coach ride better.
Is this what the rest of you have found?
Also, there is cruise control available.
Does anyone use this feature driving a big motorhome?
Sorry these seem like stupid questions but I would really like to know.
Not stupid at all, I think we have all had those same questions at one time or another. Over the last seven years I have owned and operated three RV's, a 96 Newmar 34', 2004 44' Diesel, and now a 27' Thor Vegas, they all seem to run best in 65-67 mph range, Best ride, best handling, best economy. And since I have driven the three RV's over 150,000 miles in that 7 years, I can highly recommend using the cruise. My right leg would be dead without it.

Have to say the Thor Vegas (27') has been my favorite, easy to handle great economy and lots of power.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:43 PM   #26

Model: Axis
State: California
THOR #14748
We have a 2017 Axis 24.1 and have found the slower we go the quieter it is. I prefer 60mph but have had it at 75mph and it's just too loud to me but it rides nice at any speed. I use cruise control a lot just not on hilly roads.

Have fun with the new rig!!
Old 11-20-2019, 10:12 PM   #27

Model: Vegas
State: New York
THOR #17148
I use cruise on my 16 Vegas 25.2 all of the time (unless traffic / terrain preclude it). Usually between 65-69 mph. Make sure to use the Tow/Haul function in hilly terrain or heavy traffic. It makes slowing/stopping/ maintaining reasonable downhill speed much easier, especially if towing (I pull a ‘14 Honda CR-V 4 down and don't notice it unless traveling downhill).
Old 11-20-2019, 11:41 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Life in the Slow Lane...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 11:54 PM   #29

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I agree. Most of the time I never pass anyone. The right lane is my friend. I have been in high traffic where the traffic doesn’t hold speed. That’s when I turn off the cruise.

We had a C class. First trip I drove for 12 hours to get to our campground and thought I got hit by a truck. Only drive 4-5 hrs a day now.It never really felt under control and was always very susceptible to trucks passing...(box trucks and tankers are the worst) and sideways winds. Needed more space and got an Ace 27HE. Better handling since the dealer did the quick and easy front end fix. ( found all over the internet) Still not real good. GOt a Hurricane with 3100 milels
on it and the guy had put on Bilstein shocks, sway bars front and back and steering stabilizers by Roadmaster. Can't tell you the difference. Many bucks in improvements but I don't feel wind, trucks go by without problems and I have had it up to 75 with no sway....still only do lower 60s on a trip though. GOod luck.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:03 AM   #30

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
If I have a long drive day I usually set the cruise just under the right lane traffic speed. I'm talking 1 or 2 mph. That way I can just sit back and cruise without slowing up for more separation. I get there right after everyone else.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:41 AM   #31

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfbum18 View Post

We had a C class. First trip I drove for 12 hours to get to our campground and thought I got hit by a truck. Only drive 4-5 hrs a day now.It never really felt under control and was always very susceptible to trucks passing...(box trucks and tankers are the worst) and sideways winds. Needed more space and got an Ace 27HE. Better handling since the dealer did the quick and easy front end fix. ( found all over the internet) Still not real good. GOt a Hurricane with 3100 milels
on it and the guy had put on Bilstein shocks, sway bars front and back and steering stabilizers by Roadmaster. Can't tell you the difference. Many bucks in improvements but I don't feel wind, trucks go by without problems and I have had it up to 75 with no sway....still only do lower 60s on a trip though. GOod luck.

I have all of those mods on my Hurricane and it is so much better than the day I picked it up. I went with sumos but everything else is the same.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:47 AM   #32

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #17050
Thank you for all the replies! I'm going along with the rest of you, and drive in the right lane going around 62mph. We plan to do another short drive soon and we'll try the cruise control out. We had the safe-t-plus and front alignment done when we purchased it because we read on this forum how much it helped. We appreciate everyone on this forum. You've been a big help!
Old 11-21-2019, 01:19 AM   #33

THOR #14120
Quote:
Thank you for all the replies! I'm going along with the rest of you, and drive in the right lane going around 62mph. We plan to do another short drive soon and we'll try the cruise control out. We had the safe-t-plus and front alignment done when we purchased it because we read on this forum how much it helped. We appreciate everyone on this forum. You've been a big help!

Sway bars front and rear really help. Some folks say they don’t need it. Drive it around some and see how you feel.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:43 AM   #34

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #14755
Newbie Question

We have had our 2018 Thor Axis 24.1 since late 2017 and so we still feel like a newbie. Questions ...hell yes many of them and thanks to everyone on this site help was always there ..Thanks folks.
Yet again the newbie feeling is due to lite usage of the Axis not because we do not want to travel but to warranty issues with a real bad want to do nothing for you after you signed the papers. There were additional medical issues with the bride and I and also the passing of parents.
Our first trip was in nasty weather heavy rains, fog and wind. The trip was 4.5 hours each way. We found the it handled fine, it was comfortable to drive and as for living inside almost perfect ..the dog kept jumping up on the bed all 114 pounds of him!
We learned much in that first trip. We found it handled well in bad weather, fuel consumption was not bad but as expected and we held it at the road speeds as best as we could but traveled usually between 55-65 mph and yes, in the right hand lane ( not in any real hurry anyway ).
Our second trip and third trip ws easier and even more fun. The dog owns the place and basically tells us how we travel..ha! Yes , we did still learn even more on how to operate the Axis, how to get more confidence in driving the unit which added to even more fun.
So it's all a learn process like everything else in life. With this thread I just found another thing to learn and that is the two feature and how and why to use it and when to use it...it's just a new thing to learn and that keeps the interest in the whole MHRV thing special. Use cruise control as much as you can and keep in mind what it can do for you and when you should or should not use it. Remember proper breaking and how to do that in a safe way. Keep in mind you are driving a small house on wheels that has high weight so it surely will not stop like a car...if you think you can stop on a dime forgidawboudidit !!!.
So learn, experiment drive safe and have fun with enjoyment every mile you travel. < Piper K9 <
Old 11-21-2019, 06:37 AM   #35

State: Washington
THOR #6433
I think there is a sweet spot for each coach comes down to your driving comfort, weight and how it’s loaded I think. On windy days our 30fe likes to cruise about 60. If it’s basically limited winds then 67-72 is really where it seems to cruise the best. That’s the speed it seems to kick into OD and stay. Never have used cruise in the Moho or pulling a trailer, it’s a control thing for me. I can see what’s ahead and the cruise button can’t and I can react quicker then the preprogrammed system can.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:22 AM   #36

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Yes, we use the Cruise on our Aria DP and at around 68-70 on the Interstate, and always with the Jake brake setting "on" unless prohibited in specific areas.

GVP
Old 11-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860

You just knew that this would happen...

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:24 PM   #38

THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by jannnda View Post
I have all of those mods on my Hurricane and it is so much better than the day I picked it up. I went with sumos but everything else is the same.
WOrks great eh???? It's a pleasure to drive now knowing it goes where I want it rather than where IT wants to go. Now if they would fix some interstates......
Old 11-21-2019, 04:14 PM   #39

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #10707
2018 Axis 24.1 here also. Added saf t plus immediately; never had it aligned. Never in a hurry so keep it only slightly above speed limit. Use cruise only when it looks like clear sailing ahead on long straightaways. Can really feel the power kick on an uphill climb...Someone please share information in tow/haul option. We don’t tow anything...didn’t know we had a tow/haul option.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #40

THOR #14120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarshore View Post
2018 Axis 24.1 here also. Added saf t plus immediately; never had it aligned. Never in a hurry so keep it only slightly above speed limit. Use cruise only when it looks like clear sailing ahead on long straightaways. Can really feel the power kick on an uphill climb...Someone please share information in tow/haul option. We don’t tow anything...didn’t know we had a tow/haul option.

I use tow/haul even when I am not towing anything. It helps slow the MH down when you are coming to a stop. It also seems to be in the correct gear when you have to slow but not stop completely. When I start to accelerate the transmission is in the gear I need.