Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2016, 03:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #5260
Anyone try a diplexer for satellite?

I have a vegas 24.1. I've been reading the post from Happy Retired on installing the AB switch and modulator at the OTA hookup. Guess Im not electrical minded or need to see it first.. i just dont get it. I was reading about diplexers and installing it at the park cable connection. Anyone tried that option?
Thanks for the help.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #2

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Iowa
THOR #1404
Ekeobinett,

Yes, I'm using diplexers on our ACE 27.1 with our Dish satellite. ( Holland STVC Satellite Diplexer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BNXW21I..._kOxYxbW29MFRV ). One dilpexer is used to combine park cable and satellite dish signals to the single coax connector outside the RV. The second diplexer is connected inside the RV cabinet where the over the air antenna power injector is located. The exterior coax cable connects to the interior diplexer input. My Dish receiver is then connected to the satellite receiver port and the second port is connected to the CATV port of the original OTA power injector. Works well.

Beauty is no AB switch. Also, since the Dish receiver is HDMI and the TV coax connection carries the OTA or CATV signal, you can select between then by using Source on your TV. You can also view OTA/CATV and satellite simultaneously on different televisions.

Note that you only need the outside diplexer if you are using SAT and CATV. SAT and OTA combination don't require outside diplexer.

The install of the interior diplexer was a bit awkward because of the location inside an upper cabinet end wall. Take your time and have some short RG 6 coax sections available.

Good luck.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:59 PM   #3

Model: Thor ACE 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Nevada
THOR #5275
Smile

Diplexer combines high and low frequency signals on one cable and then separates them on the other side of the single cable. You need to ue them in pairs. It works with OTA and some cable on the low frequency and satellite or digital cable on the high frequency.
Old 10-06-2016, 01:17 AM   #4

State: Alabama
THOR #5260
More Questions on Diplexer

Beatlesman: Finally got closer to the time of our trip to reactivate our dish receiver. I tried to follow your directions. Here's what I did:
1. Over the air channels were already coming on when we first tried (no cable from hookup inside cabinet above sink; but turned on power booster.)
2. I pulled the TV off the wall. There was a gray cable going into the cable hook up and a HDMI in slot 2. Both cables go into the wall to unseen location. I assumed the gray cable was the interior cable hook up for OTA and cable hook up. I'm not sure what the HDMI cable is bring in.
3. I put a diplexer in the cabinet above the sink. I pulled the gray cable back in and I hooked it up to the single end input of the diplexer. Then I hooked a cable to SAT input of the diplexer and the other end to the dish receiver. Then I hooked another cable into the other slot of the diplexer to the TV cable hook up. I also hooked a HDMI from the dish receiver to HDMI1 on the TV.
4. Next I put a short cable from the outside park cATV hook up to the single end of the diplexer and then hooked the cable from the kingdom tailgater to the satelight input. Since I was at my house, I didn't have access to park CATV.
5. Then I checked the TV. I was able to use the TV remote to switch between TV (OTA) and HDMI1. OTA worked. HDMI1 said "acquring signal" so I assumed the diplexer was working. However, after several lengthy tries, it was as if the receiver was never getting signal from the tailgater. I felt the tailgater and couldn't hear/feel it working.
6. To make sure the dish tailgater/receiver was working, I unhooked the tailgater from the outside park connection diplexer and hooked it directly into the receiver (I had to unhook the SAT diplexer). Then the receiver/tailgater acquired signal and set up correctly. I also can still view the OTA.

Did I miss something or why didn't the tailgater signal come through the outside park hookup? Any ideas how to work? I'd really like to have a clean hook up using the park hook up instead of the tailgater cable coming through the kitchen window. I'd also rather not use a A/B switch.

Thanks for any ideas anyone may have.