Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2020, 11:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ohio
THOR #3538
Dead batteries

I shut my house batteries off with switch inside coach but the house batteries still go dead. Why? I have Tuscany XTE chassis battery seems to be okay the steps come down without any issue. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Dead batterie not bread batteries

Old 04-30-2020, 02:59 AM   #2

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
You did not say how long it takes for your batteries to go down, but if they are not totally disconnected with a battery disconnect switch at the battery or physically disconnected by removing cables, some draw will still occur. This can be from power to the LP gas detector, radio memories, or other small items. If possible it is better to store with the use/store switch on and shore power to the coach.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #3

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
If you have an inverter you must physically turn it off. Even with no load it pulls power and it’s connected directly to the batteries
Old 05-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I wonder if he was able to get his batteries charged back up or not?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:29 PM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
The factory disconnect does not totally disconnect the batteries resulting in them being dead in a few days, the only positive total disconnect is the remove the negative battery cable, some say positive cable, either way. Or as m1noel stated leave it plugged in to shore power if possible, but if doing this the factory disconnect must be in "USE" or the batteries will not charge.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I put bayonet disconnects on both sides...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1589300163
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Second Cutoff Added.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	23695  
Old 05-12-2020, 04:48 PM   #7

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Bob: Do you really need to put the disconnect switch on both negative posts, it would seem if you just do the one going to the ground it should shut off all of the power.
Coveman2
Old 05-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Honestly: I'm not sure if it's 100% necessary...

But it makes me feel better!
Old 05-16-2020, 06:22 PM   #9

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: British Columbia
THOR #12480
I also own an XTE. I had issues with the house batteries, I was given advise from a local RV repair shop indicating that as long as I started coach and generator and charged all batteries for one hour every month, then everything would be fine. It cost me huge for 4 new coach batteries last year. I remove coach and chassis batteries when the unit is in storage (no shore power) I was uncertain regarding the wiring configurations so I took pictures and emailed them to myself plus kept copies on my phone and in storage, I also made a schematic of each hook-up on paper and keep it in my pickup truck. It takes 15 minutes to remove both sets of batteries and I have them on trickle chargers in my garage. I realize it seems like a bit too much work, but I think it is proper battery maintenance and I want to get as much mileage as I can out of everything. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:54 PM   #10

State: Florida
THOR #12281
Battery Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus3836 View Post
I shut my house batteries off with switch inside coach but the house batteries still go dead. Why? I have Tuscany XTE chassis battery seems to be okay the steps come down without any issue. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Dead batterie not bread batteries
Turning the master switch off will not protect batteries from draining over weeks of storage. You have to completely disconnect the battery bank's ground from the frame. I solved the problem by installing a marine type cut-off switch in the battery bank ground line.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:56 PM   #11

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
Turning the master switch off will not protect batteries from draining over weeks of storage. You have to completely disconnect the battery bank's ground from the frame. I solved the problem by installing a marine type cut-off switch in the battery bank ground line.
either line will work just fine.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:48 PM   #12

THOR #12281
Battery Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjr490 View Post
I also own an XTE. I had issues with the house batteries, I was given advise from a local RV repair shop indicating that as long as I started coach and generator and charged all batteries for one hour every month, then everything would be fine. It cost me huge for 4 new coach batteries last year. I remove coach and chassis batteries when the unit is in storage (no shore power) I was uncertain regarding the wiring configurations so I took pictures and emailed them to myself plus kept copies on my phone and in storage, I also made a schematic of each hook-up on paper and keep it in my pickup truck. It takes 15 minutes to remove both sets of batteries and I have them on trickle chargers in my garage. I realize it seems like a bit too much work, but I think it is proper battery maintenance and I want to get as much mileage as I can out of everything. Good luck.
Fortunately I live near my RV storage area so I go over every couple of weeks and run the truck, the generator and all the appliances. I have not had problems with the truck battery running down but the coach batteries can run down quickly if I don't disconnect them with the cut-off switch.

Also, if I take the RV into the dealer for repair, I have to remind them to disconnect the battery. On one visit they let the batteries totally run down. Fortunately they did a load check and recharged them without any noticiable damage. But I remind them anymore.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:07 PM   #13

State: Washington
THOR #18854
I did the same thing this winter and came back to dead batteries even though the RV was plugged in. 2016 ACE. It seems that the coach batteries do not charge at all while plugged in. What am I not seeing? Shouldn't the batteries charge when plugged into my 30 amp plug?
Old 05-17-2020, 11:40 PM   #14

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsonr View Post
I did the same thing this winter and came back to dead batteries even though the RV was plugged in. 2016 ACE. It seems that the coach batteries do not charge at all while plugged in. What am I not seeing? Shouldn't the batteries charge when plugged into my 30 amp plug?
Yes but the battery disconnect must be ON. Converter must be on. Inverter/charger if you have one must be on.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:07 AM   #15

THOR #12281
Batteries

Quote:
Did you, by any chance, leave your master switch off?

I'm not and expert but think an alternate method to consider would be to install a battery bank disconnect switch to totally unhook the batteries from the coach during storage. And, since you have power, you can buy a small trickle charger and hook it to the batteries to keep them up. That way your 120 to 12 volt coach converter doesn't have to be powered for months.

Any electrical experts out there have an opinion on this?
Old 05-18-2020, 01:03 AM   #16

State: Washington
THOR #18854
That's what I'm thinking too. Already added the additional trickle charger. Planning on overkill and having disconnect switches just before the battery bank to isolate. I'm just wondering if I fried by solenoid, or if that may not be the issue and there may be another fuse or switch near the genny I'm missing.
Old 05-18-2020, 02:36 AM   #17

THOR #12281
Batteries

Quote:
That's what I'm thinking too. Already added the additional trickle charger. Planning on overkill and having disconnect switches just before the battery bank to isolate. I'm just wondering if I fried by solenoid, or if that may not be the issue and there may be another fuse or switch near the genny I'm missing.
Well, good luck.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:32 PM   #18

State: Kentucky
THOR #18544
Batteries

If you are having problems with your batteries holding a charge and are not a maintenance free battery you may need to check your battery water level. If you can see the plates you will need to add distilled water and then charge your batteries. If you still have the problem of your batteries not holding a charge get the batteries load tested to see if they need to be replaced.
Old 05-19-2020, 02:38 AM   #19

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Yes but the battery disconnect must be ON. Converter must be on. Inverter/charger if you have one must be on.
Cavie,

Why does Thor wire their coaches like this? I see this problem all the time and even though what Thor has wired will work and make some sense, it does not seem intuitive at all? It even confuses me, and I am SOB. Basically on my coach it seems quite simple, because if I have shore power, I cannot turn off USE mode (or put in STORE mode). I think this protects me from myself. Why would anyone want their coach in STORE mode and have shorepower at the same time? I don't think most are trying to do that, but the fact that you can and it is called STORE may add to confusion.

For my SOB, as soon as cut shorepower, then the USE / STORE button make sense, because if it is on STORE nothing will happen as there is ZERO power. I have gone 2 weeks like this and battery was still over 12volts.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:14 AM   #20

THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by packrfan2001@yahoo.com View Post
If you are having problems with your batteries holding a charge and are not a maintenance free battery you may need to check your battery water level. If you can see the plates you will need to add distilled water and then charge your batteries. If you still have the problem of your batteries not holding a charge get the batteries load tested to see if they need to be replaced.
There are parricedic loads being used wither your disconnect sw is on or off. LP Detector, CO detector, Radio memory. The only way to stop that it to install a disconnect right on the battery.