Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2021, 06:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #21217
Open ground to reverse polarity

2021 Hurricane 29M. Just bought new last month.
When I plug my new surge guard 44260 into my homes dedicated 30 amp RV receptacle, I originally saw LED lights indicating the proper power on. Today the LED shows open ground. And, when I then plug my RV’s power cord into the surge guard, the reading changes to reverse polarity. Have checked the homes RV outlet for proper and tight connections along with my homes main panel RV dedicated circuit breaker for tight connection too. Have also used a second Surge Guard thinking perhaps the first one is bad. Same readings. My question of course is why has something changed? I have not made any changes at my house that would explain the open ground. And I haven’t made any changes to the RV, that when plugged into the surge gaurd, changes the LED read out from open ground to now reverse polarity.. Thank you in advance for all thoughts

Old 01-27-2021, 07:02 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20808
Could be simple.... how old is your 30A RV receptacle? When you plug in the surge guard does it go in easy or hard?
Easy could be a corroded or worn or loose female part of the connection in the receptacle where the copper parts are not making contact. Hard to insert typically means the copper parts inside are being pushed aside and good contact it being made.
The way I would check it is with a spare 30A plug that I can check with a ohmeter easily and then move the plug around a bit to see if the continuity is there. Power off at the breaker please.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:42 PM   #3

THOR #21217
Thank you, the plug does go in relatively loose. I’ll change out the receptacle. Good idea, the receptacle is 20 years old.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:30 AM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy W View Post
Thank you, the plug does go in relatively loose. I’ll change out the receptacle. Good idea, the receptacle is 20 years old.

Please circle back and let us know if that does the trick. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:55 PM   #5

Model: Quantum RW28
State: Texas
THOR #10995
Quote:
2021 Hurricane 29M. Just bought new last month.
When I plug my new surge guard 44260 into my homes dedicated 30 amp RV receptacle, I originally saw LED lights indicating the proper power on. Today the LED shows open ground. And, when I then plug my RV’s power cord into the surge guard, the reading changes to reverse polarity. Have checked the homes RV outlet for proper and tight connections along with my homes main panel RV dedicated circuit breaker for tight connection too. Have also used a second Surge Guard thinking perhaps the first one is bad. Same readings. My question of course is why has something changed? I have not made any changes at my house that would explain the open ground. And I haven’t made any changes to the RV, that when plugged into the surge gaurd, changes the LED read out from open ground to now reverse polarity.. Thank you in advance for all thoughts
Nancy ,
I am having a similar problem as yours, but the wiring to my new RV storage building is brand new. My electrician has triple checked the ground ( all good there), and still getting reverse polarity and ground message on my surge suppressor.
I bought a new outlet , in the event the first one was defective- same result.
I went to the extreme of buying a new surge suppressor, in case the 6 year old model I had was bad- same result.

My electrician asked that I contact my power company to check the power box at the road ( we have underground wiring), for a possible loose ground. Power company came out and tightened the ground- still no luck in clearing the reverse polarity/ ground message on my surge suppressor.

Please let me know ( others on the forum please chime in as well!), what your solution was and if the ground alert on your suppressor has been resolved ?
Thank you!
Old 03-01-2022, 12:46 AM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I was getting something similar. The Surge Guard was junk (seven years old). Replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics and no issues since.
Old 03-01-2022, 02:58 AM   #7

THOR #21217
Reverse polarity issues

Hi All
I had a reversed polarity issue when i first bought my 2021 Hurricane 29m. Thought it was the Surge Guard or my homes electrical outlet. Had all checked too by electrician.
The BIM was improperly wired at the factory. Have this checked. The RV was the problem, not the shore outlet.

Nancy
Old 03-01-2022, 03:22 AM   #8

THOR #21217
Reverse polarity

Hi all again…I had a second case of reversed polarity just recently also. It had to do with the GFI circuit.
Surge guard was showing reversed Polarity. I went through RV with a plug tester to see if any outlets had something wrong. When i got to the GFI protected outlet over the sink, the tester has a momentary reading of reversed polarity and then instantly went to the normal “okay” reading. I had already reset the GFI in the bathroom, but for what ever reason the GFI circuit must not have completed its reset cycle until i plugged in the tester. The sink outlet ls a dead end wired outlet. Perhaps my plugging in the tester completed some needed reset for the GFI. After this scenario, the reverse polarity is corrected and the Surge Guard shows correct power reading.
Nancy
Old 03-01-2022, 12:03 PM   #9

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I am still waiting to hear from someone as to how an open ground wire could reverse polarity on anything?
Old 03-01-2022, 02:49 PM   #10

THOR #21217
Open ground to Reverse polarity

Hi,
I agree on the unlikely technical idea of open ground becoming reversed Polarity.
CB would have surely tripped before that scenario. When i was having my first incorrect electrical readings, the BIM was incorrectly wired from the factory. Another Forum poster mentioned they too had this happened to them. When the wires were corrected by the dealership the electrical reading were then correct.
Nancy W
Old 03-01-2022, 03:14 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Hi,
I agree on the unlikely technical idea of open ground becoming reversed Polarity.
CB would have surely tripped before that scenario. When i was having my first incorrect electrical readings, the BIM was incorrectly wired from the factory. Another Forum poster mentioned they too had this happened to them. When the wires were corrected by the dealership the electrical reading were then correct.
Nancy W
Since the BIM is in the DC electrical system I don't see how it could cause an AC surge protector to complain about anything. Yes, Thor wires BIMS incorrectly, but that has to do with the SIG and IGN wires. There is no AC wiring to the BIM.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote