Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2020, 01:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #10063
Angry Our Chateau is GONE

Well today did not happen as I envisioned. The wife and I headed over to our storage facility to get our 31L ready to go for the coming week of camping. When i drove over to our storage plot our 2017 Thor Chateau 31L was missing. We went to the office and was told that our unit and a Ford F-150 were stolen, and a houseboat was broken into and all the electronics stolen along with all the tools onboard. They had video of the perps driving my RV crashing through the exit gate along with the pickup. Yes police were called and a stolen motor vehicle report filed along with notifying our insurance company. That was not how I had planned to spend my afternoon. Needless to say we are not camping this coming week.

I hope they find our motorhome quickly and with limited damage. I also hope our insurance holds up their end too. Like I said, not quite how I had envisioned this afternoon to happen........

Old 07-27-2020, 01:40 AM   #2

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Wow! Hoping for a good outcome. And quickly. You seem to be handling it better than many would. Probably wouldn’t really help to be fussing but it’d sure be understandable. All the best!
Old 07-27-2020, 01:54 AM   #3

THOR #10063
No need to fuss and raise cain. There is nothing I an do but wait and see what the police can find and hope it is recovered. Am I upset, you bet I am. I am going to drive through near by neighborhoods and back roads and see if I can locate it ... you know I am. We have a son on patrol with the local police department in that area so I am confident they will be keeping an eye out for it. I also have faith in our insurance (at this point) so we wait and see what will come up.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:55 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude BH35
State: Texas
THOR #16693
Sorry for the bad luck, but if they find them and determine they'd like a bigger unit, I can give them the location of where ours is parked
cbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:19 AM   #5

Brand: Jayco
Model: GREYHAWK 29MV
State: Washington
THOR #17431
Sorry to hear the bad news, but it sounds like you have a good perspective on things. I'll send a little negative karma their way for you.

Instead of camping, maybe you can go find a nice B&B somewhere else and have some wine and see some local sights.

I wish all the best for you!

Old 07-27-2020, 04:55 AM   #6

State: Colorado
THOR #19181
Wow! So how long were they going to wait to inform you of this theft???
Old 07-27-2020, 05:25 AM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Sorry for your loss of RV. We had a Camaro stolen, and police recovered about 9 months after the fact.

I am trying to visualize this facility. Seems like the registered RV owner would be first call they make. A Houseboat, 31L RV, and a Ford 150? Who stores their F-150 in facility with boats & RVs? Did they hotwire your RV or did they somehow get a key?

One reason why I feel fortunate to have my RV at home, I can see it every day. If I had to store for a while at a facility, I would turn off all of the batteries, maybe even remove the chassis battery depending upon how long.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:24 AM   #8

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Quote:
Originally Posted by donblanco View Post
Wow! So how long were they going to wait to inform you of this theft???

Yeah, that question there-ridiculous they didn't call you!
GVP
Old 07-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #9

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Simply amazing you weren't called ASAP
Old 07-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Did you have your RV insured for Agreed Value, or Replacement Cost?

(PLEASE say that it wasn't an "ACV Policy"...)
Good luck: I hope that it is recovered quickly, and damage-free!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:08 PM   #11

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Did you have your RV insured for Agreed Value, or Replacement Cost?

(PLEASE say that it wasn't an "ACV Policy"...)
Good luck: I hope that it is recovered quickly, and damage-free!
Maybe they stole the insurance policy too

You bring up another thing "damage". If I read correctly they used the RV to crash through the gate !!!, so it would be at least that damage. Why damage the RV unless you intend to dump it? Maybe it is / was something of value they wanted but could not risk trying to steal it on the site? i.e AC units, tires, fridge, generator or even motor.

In our case the stolen Camaro was apparently for joy riding as it was eventually left abandoned with everything we had still inside The only damage was stripped 2/3 gear and that now it is reported as once stolen on VIN record.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
My guess: stolen by drug mules in order to move product in a more "innocent-looking" vehicle; that has a large cargo capacity.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #13

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Sorry for your loss. I don't understand why the storage facility didn't call you upon discovery of the thefts. Time is important in recovery. Good luck and hopefully everything turns out ok.

Paul
Old 07-27-2020, 01:43 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Sorry for the PITA this is going to become. On another forum someone posted an article from RV Business reference RV theft.

https://rvbusiness.com/national-rv-t...west-virginia/

More than likely RV components are becoming the thing for thieves since cars have gotten more sophisticated in their anti-theft systems and RV haven't kept pace.

Unfortunately this is one of the risks of ownership when one wants to have an RV yet lives in an area that restricts RV parking at their home for one reason r another.

Hopefully your insurance doesn't become a pain with the claim for storing in a lot rather than garaging at home.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:23 PM   #15

Model: Challenger 37LX
THOR #6310
This is the second motor home theft from a storage facility in Florida that I've read about in the last 24 hours. If you don't mind me asking, where did this happen? Later today we'll be traveling from Bradenton to Orlando and can help be on the lookout. Anything unique to your RV that would help ID it?
Old 07-27-2020, 02:48 PM   #16

State: Colorado
THOR #19181
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Sorry for the PITA this is going to become. On another forum someone posted an article from RV Business reference RV theft.

https://rvbusiness.com/national-rv-t...west-virginia/

More than likely RV components are becoming the thing for thieves since cars have gotten more sophisticated in their anti-theft systems and RV haven't kept pace.

If you Google around, it seems like every time more than one person steals more than one RV all of a sudden it's part of a 'theft ring'. Makes for good PR and headlines, but I'm skeptical of the attraction to large criminal enterprises...
Old 07-27-2020, 06:23 PM   #17
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradnKaren View Post
This is the second motor home theft from a storage facility in Florida that I've read about in the last 24 hours. If you don't mind me asking, where did this happen? Later today we'll be traveling from Bradenton to Orlando and can help be on the lookout. Anything unique to your RV that would help ID it?
Probably front end damage. His zip code puts him in the Fernandina Beach/North Jacksonville area. We're west of him in Lake City so I've been keeping my eyes peeled.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:11 PM   #18

THOR #10063
OK answer to questions on theft of our RV.

TAG NUMBER HB1L43 Florida
Travel stickers all around the back window and along the rear bumper.
'Retired Navy' Tag on front bumper

THe RV was stored at a covered and fenced storage near the Jacksonville International Airport. Vehicles require a scan card to enter and exit but people can walk in anytime. The parking garage has day parking and Enterprise Car parking areas along with monthly car and RV/Boat parking areas.

The POS jumped the curbs with the F-150 they also stole. They also broke into a houseboat next to our RV and stole all his electronics and tools, they also tried to steal his portable generator but could not get it off the boat. Like someone mentioned you can haul a lot of stuff in a RV. More then likely they slipped the door lock on the RV popped the tumble on the steering column and used a screw driver to unlock and turn the ignition, driving it out.

There may not be any front end damage but for sure rear damage as they BACKED out crashing through the gate. SO the video of them leaving does show a tag number.

No tag number no way to notify the owner and no way to identify who got their RV stolen. That is until we show up to wake the RV up to go camping the next day. Then the police officer was called back out and he completed his report.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7074.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	25234   Click image for larger version

Name:	camper.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	25235  

Old 07-27-2020, 07:39 PM   #19
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Interesting: We have assigned spaces in our storage lot. No need to know tag number as they know who's it is by position.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 11:53 PM   #20

THOR #10063
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Interesting: We have assigned spaces in our storage lot. No need to know tag number as they know who's it is by position.
We did have an assigned spot we also have not been in that storage a month yet. There are a fair amount of vehicles including RV's coming and going. All this happened at around 4:30 AM Saturday morning and we arrived to wake up the RV later that morning. If they had the tag number they could have found it in their data base.