Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2016, 11:41 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: California
THOR #3900
Our new 2017 Challenger

Click image for larger version

Name:	camper.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	2179

Name:	camper 2.JPG
Views:	459
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	2180

Our new 2017 Challenger 37TB. I can honestly say the dealership does not like me. Over the years of moving in and out of various military housing has taught us how to go over things with a fine tooth comb and make a list of all the marks, defects, or issues which is what we did on this new RV. Lots of quality control issues but nothing to major. Why do they not protect the front of the RV when they drive it across country to deliver it? The front in has to be repaired and repainted due to around 70 rock dings some through all the layers of paint. All issues were written up on a due bill with the requirement that the work must be done in the next 60 days.

Overall we love the RV and the colors we picked. The kids love the bunk beds. The overhead bed is VERY uncomfortable and we need to either put an air mattress up there or get better mattress. The thin padded mattress that is there goes flat when my 120 lbs daughter lays on it. Also the drop down box that holds the pad is queen sized but the mattress is only a small full size so there is a lot of room to go bigger the air mattress.

One issue we have discovered since bringing it home is we can't get the porch light to go off. Any ideas?

Old 06-03-2016, 11:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Congrats and welcome to the family of Challenger owners.

My guess is the porch light has a bad switch. You might want to have the dealer check that and repair it.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #3

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbsunny View Post
Attachment 2179

Attachment 2180

One issue we have discovered since bringing it home is we can't get the porch light to go off. Any ideas?
If rapid Camp was used last to turn light on the wall switch will not work. Must turn off with Rapid Camp then wall switch will work. Not wired like a three way switch. If light turned on with wall switch can not turn off with Rapid Camp. Enjoy your new Challenger. Check out rvillage.com http://www.rvillage.com/group/2171/t...r-owners-unite "Challenger Owners Unite" group. It is a way to meet other Challenger owners parked near you.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Congratulations! I am very excited for you and your family. I hope you post additional updates as you become more familiar with your new coach. I ordered my 37LX about a month ago so have about 3-4 months before I will see ours so hope to learn from others while I wait. Again, congrats!
Old 06-05-2016, 10:26 PM   #5

State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Techn0 - SUPER. Love the colors, enjoy it!! We love ours even with the latest issue! Where is your first road trip?
Old 06-06-2016, 05:07 AM   #6

THOR #3900
We spent the last few days at a local beach to get the feel of everything and trying to go over it with our list of things that will need to get looked at or fixed. Our first road trip will be at the end of July to head to Indiana to visit our family and stop over in Texas to drop my daughter off at college then back to CA.

So far the biggest concern we have found is that we see daylight around the 2 slides on the driver side so that tells me they are not sealed like they should be. We can see some of the rubber gasket that is hanging loose.

I do love the Riverside color of the RV and the pacific color wood inside.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #7

THOR #1020
mcbsunny - enjoy the coach - we are fairly sure you will. The floor plan is great for us when we are by ourselvers and super when we've grand babies with us. Again - the colors are super.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #8

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Maryland
THOR #3920
Congrats on the new purchase. I just took delivery of mine Thursday and just got back from a weekend "use everything" camping trip. So far, no major issues, just someone forgot tu turn on 2 water valves, but I enjoy taking everything apart anyway so I learn everything about the RV and just where components are and how they hook up. Other than those 2 things, I did not have any problems. I did learn one thing from talking to Thor and that is DO NOT operate the slides when you are not plugged in or using the generator. While the slide will move and you may get it in and out once, it takes a lot of power and it may not come all the way in depending on the charge on your battery. My last RV had a small slide and it was OK to just use battery. This full slide is huge and heavy, so I see their recommendation. I had upgraded to a 4 battery setup, but I don't think the batteries were 100% charged, but after driving to the campground, they were.

Overall, I am completely satisfied with this RV. It definitely is better made than my last one and it looks great sitting in the campsite
2017 Thor Challenger 37LX, Westward interior, Riverside paint job. Upgraded to 4 battery setup, Splendide 2100XC Washer/Dryer combo, Progressive Industries HW50 EMS, Heavy Duty Steering stabilizer, and TST TPMS 6+4 setup for tow vehicle . Member FMCA

RVCampingNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:18 PM   #9

THOR #1020
RVCampingNut - very, very nice. Looks like you plugged into the right accessories (batteries, surge suppressor, w/d). If you do any dry camping, you will truly enjoy the 2 - 40 gal gray water tanks and 100 gals of fresh water. The W/D goes to the front and the shower goes to the back. We can easily go 5 days between drain and fill.

Hopefully, you will continue your streak of zero problems. We've had several but nothing that keeps us out it. We spend 7 months a year (at least) in ours, often with 3 and 4 kids.

May you alway enjoy and be safe. And remember, the journey is the destination.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #10

THOR #3900
Well we did a little longer camping trip for the 4th before our cross country trip and I am glad we did. We have discovered a major water leak that has damaged the kitchen cabinets. In the floor under the cabinets below the kitchen sink it has sprang a leak now the wood of the cabinet right inside the front door where all the buttons and switches are is massively warped. The shower also has a leak that leaks through the wall into the bedroom.
The kitchen table's screws are stripped out and the table top falls off even after tightening the screws back up several times. We ended up switching our mattress out for a sleep number bed to be more like we have at home. I still like our Challenger but storage is an issue in it and I have to get a handle on how to make the narrow cabinets work for us. I really wish there was storage in the back bathroom for towels but the cabinets in there are so narrow it just won't work. Any suggestions on how to make the space work?

The RV is in the shop now for the next 3 weeks to try to get as much fixed off our due bill and delivery issue list (5 pages) and to fix the water leaks. Not all will get done during that time so we prioritized what must get done before our road trip and what can wait until we get back. They are also installing our surge protector I bought, the Roadmaster stabilizer to help with better steering control and the waster/dryer vent so we can put in the combo unit since that is all that will fit.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Nice unit, welcome to the challenger club

KC
Old 03-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #12

Model: 37TB
State: Connecticut
THOR #6757
Challenger Steering Stabilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbsunny View Post
Well we did a little longer camping trip for the 4th before our cross country trip and I am glad we did. We have discovered a major water leak that has damaged the kitchen cabinets. In the floor under the cabinets below the kitchen sink it has sprang a leak now the wood of the cabinet right inside the front door where all the buttons and switches are is massively warped. The shower also has a leak that leaks through the wall into the bedroom.
The kitchen table's screws are stripped out and the table top falls off even after tightening the screws back up several times. We ended up switching our mattress out for a sleep number bed to be more like we have at home. I still like our Challenger but storage is an issue in it and I have to get a handle on how to make the narrow cabinets work for us. I really wish there was storage in the back bathroom for towels but the cabinets in there are so narrow it just won't work. Any suggestions on how to make the space work?

The RV is in the shop now for the next 3 weeks to try to get as much fixed off our due bill and delivery issue list (5 pages) and to fix the water leaks. Not all will get done during that time so we prioritized what must get done before our road trip and what can wait until we get back. They are also installing our surge protector I bought, the Roadmaster stabilizer to help with better steering control and the waster/dryer vent so we can put in the combo unit since that is all that will fit.
Recently purchased a 37 TB as well. On our first trip now and seem to be getting pushed around by wind and trucks. Constantly having to apply feedback to the steering wheel. Did you find that the steering stabilizer helped with those issues? If so, do you recommend the RoadMaster and do you mind sharing the price that you paid?

Plan on doing CHF the second we get home.

Also, open to other suggestions.

Thank you!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #13

THOR #4160
I would check out Safe T Plus. Between that, an alignment, and the CHF, I have no issues driving down the road or trucks passing me. The Safe T Plus is the only steering stabilizer with a lifetime warranty. Other than that they are all the same.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:03 AM   #14

THOR #1020
First thing to do is check tire pressure. Makes a HUGE difference. Next thing to do is CHF. Next thing to do is steering stabilizer. Techno and I talked briefly as we passed in Key West and we share similar configuration. I added the steering stabilizer to make sure I could maintain steering in the event of a catastrophic blowout - added the Roadmaster Reflex steering. BUT tire pressure first thing and I use a TPMS.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:40 AM   #15

THOR #6757
Techn0 and bigben thanks for the replies. We have made it home and I have already done the CHF front and back. Just need to go test drive it to see how she behaves now.
Safe-T-plus is on order.

Bigben, what pressure are you running the tires at? Found that the dealer had all of them set at 90-94psi...

TIA Brad
Old 03-31-2017, 01:04 AM   #16

THOR #4160
Please talk to someone at Safe T Plus to ensure you have the correct model for the 2017 chassis. They have a new model and bracket that fits better.
As for tire pressure, I would use the Michelin weight chart. I keep mine at 100.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:15 AM   #17

THOR #6757
Techn0, I do plan on talking to Safe-T-Plus. I was planning on ordering everything tonight but got to looking and realized that there isn't an exact match on their site. Calling in the AM.

Also thanks for the tire pressure chart. This is our first class a and I didn't even realize there was a tire chart available. Really appreciate all the help!!!!
Old 12-02-2018, 05:44 PM   #18

State: Florida
THOR #13018
Thor awning issue

I’m away from my 2013 Thor Challenger and the Manager at the RV Park where I stay advised the wind caught my awning and broke the forward arm. What is the best way to bring the awning in to secure it for travel to the dealer for repair ? Not sure how to post the pic of the awning but I could do that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	E436E4D2-4F68-4D82-8C8E-4B3197BA0B3E.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	14406