Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2018, 07:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Tennessee
THOR #4231
Over cockpit bed

My Challenger cockpit bed lowering mechanism came down unevenly, driver side ahead and then passenger caught up when I continued to depress the down button. Now I want to raise it and both sides start, but the driver side stops after about an inch and the passenger keeps going. Of course I stopped it and reversed as soon as it got out of sync.

I have some slide out silicone lube, but wasn’t sure I should put it on a vertical track. At least I am at home and not stuck at a campground!Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #2

State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Should be an easy fix. Raise and lower the bunk a couple of times making sure you hold the switch down for about 5 seconds after bunk stops its travel. This has the effect of retiming the motors. THEN make sure you use the pins and that the bed is locked down on pins - that is done by raising the bed, inserting the pins and then lowering the bed slightly back onto the pins.

Most times you issue shows up the pins are not in place during travel. I know - I had it happen to me and I had had it so cattywampus I had to manual lift the bunk back up into position - then I retimed it. I call this little mishaps - knowledge knots.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #3

THOR #4231
I pushed it up as I held the button and it went up. Should I use the silicone spray on the track to help it out?
Old 02-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #4

THOR #1020
I don't believe the silicone spray is needed but I also don't believe it will hurt. The most important thing is to retime the motors and to use the pins.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:56 PM   #5

THOR #4231
I always have used the pins. Don’t want it to fall on my head when I’m driving! Thanks!!
Old 02-18-2018, 09:58 PM   #6

THOR #1020
Yep - I always use 'em now. In the past I've had the pins fall out of one side or the other and found the bed cattywampus.

Hope you're enjoying your coach and are having safe travels.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:05 PM   #7

THOR #4231
So far I’ve only made a couple of overnight trips. Now that it’s warmed up I’m trying to get it outfitted for some substantial travel. I’m concerned that my mileage has been 4.5 mpg[emoji30]. Is it normal to be that low when the engine is new? I don’t have 1,000 miles on it yet, so I have not tried to tow.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:25 PM   #8

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothertype55 View Post
My Challenger cockpit bed lowering mechanism came down unevenly, driver side ahead and then passenger caught up when I continued to depress the down button. Now I want to raise it and both sides start, but the driver side stops after about an inch and the passenger keeps going. Of course I stopped it and reversed as soon as it got out of sync.

I have some slide out silicone lube, but wasn’t sure I should put it on a vertical track. At least I am at home and not stuck at a campground!Any advice would be appreciated.
The lube is not necessary on the track just the motor couple times a year.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:29 PM   #9

THOR #4231
I hope there’s a Utube for that process!
Old 02-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #10

Model: hurricane 32n
THOR #4158
Yes there are several videos on how to lube the motor.
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:41 PM   #11

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Quote:
So far I’ve only made a couple of overnight trips. Now that it’s warmed up I’m trying to get it outfitted for some substantial travel. I’m concerned that my mileage has been 4.5 mpg[emoji30]. Is it normal to be that low when the engine is new? I don’t have 1,000 miles on it yet, so I have not tried to tow.
We have the 37LX model, and live in AZ so it had about 2,000 miles already at the dealer. So I don’t know about sub-1k gas mileage. We have been getting about 8 mpg on our first few trips.
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:44 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
You might want to look into some of the stuff offered by Banks...
My Dad's Holiday Rambler Class A was getting 4 mpg.
He had the Banks kit installed, and it jumped up to almost 8 mpg!
With LOADS of more power!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:04 AM   #13

THOR #4231
Not sure I can talk the hubby into another major “investment “ in the coach right now☹️. I was sure expecting 7-8 mpg. Maybe I will give Ford a call about that and see what they say. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2018, 11:39 PM   #14

State: Ohio
THOR #10681
8 MPG sure isn't encouraging. I have 240 miles and haven't taken it out yet. Waiting on weather change. Hopefully in the next few weeks.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:58 AM   #15

THOR #1020
Mothertype55 - 4.5MPG is WAY low!! We move on down the highway towing a 4500 lb Ford Explorer. When I watching the mileage it was routinely running about 6.7 mpg. I quit paying much attention to the MPG and I look for the DTE number - generally around 490 miles after fill up. Lots of things contribute to your 4.5 mpg number but don't worry much about it until you've gotten a couple of days traveling. At 4.5 mpg your DTE after a fill up is somewhere around 350 miles. I absolutely don't believe that is correct.

If you're not towing 7 - 7.4 should be a good number.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:43 AM   #16

THOR #4231
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Mothertype55 - 4.5MPG is WAY low!! We move on down the highway towing a 4500 lb Ford Explorer. When I watching the mileage it was routinely running about 6.7 mpg. I quit paying much attention to the MPG and I look for the DTE number - generally around 490 miles after fill up. Lots of things contribute to your 4.5 mpg number but don't worry much about it until you've gotten a couple of days traveling. At 4.5 mpg your DTE after a fill up is somewhere around 350 miles. I absolutely don't believe that is correct.

If you're not towing 7 - 7.4 should be a good number.

I will be towing a CRV, but haven’t been yet as I am just hitting 1,000 miles. Just been doing overnighters locally and my daughter has driven her car, so haven’t needed my own wheels.

I hope you’re right about the 6.7mpg! My daughter and family are moving to be near her sister in the Bay Area, and we are planning a caravan from Knoxville the end of May. We will probably detour through Texas to visit family on the way, so it’s looking like 3200+ miles. I had planned my budget on 7 mpg, so 4.5 almost doubles my gas cost[emoji27].

At least while all the grands are in one spot I will be able to store the coach out west and do trips with them without driving long distances cross country.

The winter freezes really did a number on the roads here...potholes everywhere! The whole coach shakes and makes crashing noises when we hit irregular pavement. Would Sumo shocks make the ride smoother?

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-21-2018, 01:52 PM   #17

THOR #1020
Mothertype55 - 4.5 won't be close unless you're losing fuel somewhere in the system. Given the terrain along your routes from Tn to Ca via Tx and with your CRV toad - 6.7 should be doable. Especially if you run a bit slower than we probably do - our comfort speed is 67 MPG. Once you hit Ca, your max posted speed will be 55 MPH. Show see an upward tick in your mph. Your planning 7 MPG is probably on the optimistic side but close especially if your speed is more like 60 MPH.

And oh yeah - be safe and blessings as you prepare.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:18 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
A lot of the fuel mileage answers actually come from the dance that your right foot does on the "loud pedal".
Try slowing down a bit, and see what happens.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #19

Model: Miramar 35.3
THOR #6451
We have a 37' 2018 Miramar and the worst MPG I've had so far was 6.5MPG towing a 4 door Wrangler. I was driving faster than I normally do on that trip (70-75mph). The best MPG I have gotten so far was 8.1MPG and that was running about 62-65MPH also towing the jeep. I received the motorhome with 1100 miles so the engine might just need to loosen up a bit after breakin.

Burch
Old 02-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #20

THOR #4231
Maybe once I am getting more “highway” miles vs “in town” miles it will improve. Thanks!