Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #1

State: Florida
THOR #8516
AC condensation

I have a 2016 Vegas 25.2. During trip today noticed wetness on hoses and other parts under passengers side dash. Very humid, heavy rain. Thought it was from just replaced windshield but
could not find anything. Has anyone had this situation?

Old 07-28-2017, 01:47 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox View Post
I have a 2016 Vegas 25.2. During trip today noticed wetness on hoses and other parts under passengers side dash. Very humid, heavy rain. Thought it was from just replaced windshield but
Different MH but general A/C issue. If you have too much condensation on outside of box may be due to a plugged drain line for evaporator. This happens more in these rigs than auto's due to non-use. Spiders and other insects make webs in the drain lines. I would use a wire to ensure drain is fully open.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:55 PM   #3

THOR #8516
Thanks, didn't think about a drain issue. I'll give it a try.
Old 07-28-2017, 02:12 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Arkansas
THOR #3744
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox View Post
My 2017 Hurricane does the same thing, it actually drips on my foot on occasion. I believe because the AC vent hose is not insulated, it just condensates from having cold air passing through the inside of it while the interior of the motor home is warmer and more humid. This usually does not occur in a passenger size vehicle because the AC system can remove most of the moisture out of the air as the volume of the passenger compartment is small enough that it can do so. However, in a motor home, the dash AC system is not sized in proportion to the volume of the interior, so it can never remove enough moisture out of the air to prevent this from happening.

Vince
Old 07-28-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Don't know about your rig, but on our ACE and some Hurricanes there is not even a drain hose attached. Consequently, the way the "shield" below the drain hose is configured, it acts like a funnel for the headwind which blows up into the evaporator area and can blow moisture through the vent by the passenger's feet. Adding a 5/8" hose to drain the condensate down below usually fixes this issue. See Jerry's Hurricane Mods thread for some pics.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
On my coach the drain outlet for the condenser was 1/2". Get a piece of vinyl tubing about 18-24" long, attach to the drain with a small hose clamp and route down along side the battery, secure with a zip tie. That will fix your problem.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:44 PM   #7

THOR #8516
Thanks guys great info.
Will get going on this after our 6 week trip to the northeast. I think we can live with for now. This is such an outstanding forum!!