Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2017, 07:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Carefree Eclipse Awning - side curtains?

We have a 2017 Challenger 37LX, which came with a 16’ Carefree Eclipse Awning.

The awning works great, but early mornings and/or late afternoons, we get the sun coming in from the sides or below the awning in front. Wondering what options others may be using. I’m not looking to spend $250 for the Carefree zippered option (not without looking at other options first, at least).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:21 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Not sure about your awning model - but many can be adjusted. Look for a silver round button about the size of a wood pencil eraser on outside ends of awning frame. If present press button and slide frame to next hole. Also useful in tilting awning for drainage if you only do one end.
Better yet read this "adjusting pitch on page nine https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/d...ers-Manual.pdf IF only problem is sun under ends - buy some shade cloth at Home Depot and clip it to awning fabric with clothspins.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:44 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Thor put out a video on how to adjust just about every awning:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:31 AM   #4

THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
Not sure about your awning model - but many can be adjusted. Look for a silver round button about the size of a wood pencil eraser on outside ends of awning frame. If present press button and slide frame to next hole. Also useful in tilting awning for drainage if you only do one end.
Better yet read this "adjusting pitch on page nine https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/d...ers-Manual.pdf IF only problem is sun under ends - buy some shade cloth at Home Depot and clip it to awning fabric with clothspins.

Thank you. I have looked up the manual and adjusted it as far as the awning goes. I’m looking for ideas on covering the sides or coming down lower across the front when the sun is low.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:48 PM   #5

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
Thank you. I have looked up the manual and adjusted it as far as the awning goes. I’m looking for ideas on covering the sides or coming down lower across the front when the sun is low.
This is what I used. https://www.homedepot.com/p/ShelterL...5710/203477222
Actually sewed small rope on one edge so it slides into unused awning track on roller tube or fold in half and clip to edges of awning for sun from the ends.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:36 AM   #6

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Go online to "Shade Pro" & check out the "Vista Shades". They have a short section that remains on your awning tube & a 6' section that zips to it. When ordering measure awning width & from tube to the ground (drop), order closest width to your awning & the drop is as close to your measurement as possible with the bottom section is always 6' so the upper section on the tube could be 2-3-4' hanging down that stays on the awning. Example my awning was 16' wide with a 9' drop so I ordered a 15' × 9' shade & it came with a 3' section for the tube & a 6' section to zip on, they are great & come with a carry bag, plastic stakes & nylon twine. Once the upper section is installed the lower goes up however fast you can run the zipper.
With the power awnings they don't offer side curtains as there's nothing to mount them to.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 03:27 AM   #7

THOR #7863
Thank you, guys, I’ll look at both of these ideas!
Old 11-15-2017, 12:41 PM   #8

State: Florida
THOR #6310
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
This is what I used. https://www.homedepot.com/p/ShelterL...5710/203477222
Actually sewed small rope on one edge so it slides into unused awning track on roller tube or fold in half and clip to edges of awning for sun from the ends.
We did exactly the same thing on our last RV with a manual awning. Sewed in a plastic clothesline at the top. Plastic is stiffer than the rope kind and slides in easier. Finished the bottom edge and installed grommets to hook a bungee for tying down. Worked for us for years. With the power awning on our new RV I broke down and bought the Carefree shade with the zip off portion. In Florida in the summer it is common for afternoon thunderstorms to pop up that often bring strong winds. With the cost of a power awning I don't want to take any chances on having it damaged, so I'd rather just be able to quickly zip off the lower portion and roll up the awning.

As ctpres said, there really isn't a solution for the ends.