Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2019, 10:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Exclamation Palazzo engine access...finally

another forum's thread about accessing the diesel engine in their coach prompted me, after 4 1/2 years and over 92,000 miles, to finally 'see' where my engine access is for my '14 Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse...

now, my 33.3 floorplan, with the front-facing master bed, may be quite different than other floorplans with side facing beds, or a rear bath or closet with a 'step up', as mine has no step up... even other '14 Palazzo floorplans may be different.

My bedframe is essentially the 'raised platform' above the engine.
About 2/3 of the bed can tilt up, with the aid of gas shocks, revealing a carpeted storage area.
The foot of the bed, about 12", is a separate storage/mounting area for the ATS and the rear of the Electrical main panel and Fuse panel.

I figured that while there was no 'access' to be seen, as with other floorplans and manufacturers who have an easily seen 'access panel' on the rear floor area, the carpet must be covering up the floor access cutout.

I pulled one side of the carpet up as best as possible, not knowing if it was separate from the rear and the sides, as the carpet covers the floor and the sides, and even goes under the foot of the bedframe where the electrical items are located. I eventually had to cut the end at the foot, and pull hard on the sides, as the factory had actually applied staples several places.

Once the carpet was lifted up and moved out of the way, I could see the plywood cutout and eventually found the 5 screws that holds it down.

I've attached some photos... this is the first time I've really every 'seen' my engine! (at least the top of it).... though I've HEARD it many times!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine access bedframe.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	16255   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine access open.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	16256  

TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:12 AM   #2

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Thanks Turnerfam, I wish I had access to the top of the engine in my Palazzo 36.1! There appears to be no top access - everything is either from the back (very limited, as the radiator is there) and from below! Lots of access to the underside but nothing to the top unless the total floor gets removed, and I don't see that happening! Good thing there is room when the jacks are down to get under the chassis or this would become a very expensive maintenance unit.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:20 AM   #3

THOR #4735
I imagine its about 3’ from the rear wall, though it may not show, as the factory simply never cut the roll tile in order not to have to provide a lip edge around it, like other coaches do... it’s there.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:18 AM   #4

THOR #13712
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I imagine its about 3’ from the rear wall, though it may not show, as the factory simply never cut the roll tile in order not to have to provide a lip edge around it, like other coaches do... it’s there.
I'll look up from underneath and see if there is any floor cutout that I can see. I'm not excited about cutting the floor and I can't imagine what my wife is going to say about cutting the floor in the master bath.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
The little box on the nightstand that took quarters was a lot cheaper bed vibrator than that!! What was it they called it..."Magic Fingers"?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:12 PM   #6

THOR #4735
true...but it's really hard to try it while driving... : / oh well.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:35 PM   #7

THOR #13712
The FL guys say it's there and I took it to Thor and they seem to think there is no planned hatch which is far different from what we see with other 36.1 owners. They are sending the coach engineer over to service to figure it out I guess.

Old 03-10-2024, 02:54 PM   #8

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
another forum's thread about accessing the diesel engine in their coach prompted me, after 4 1/2 years and over 92,000 miles, to finally 'see' where my engine access is for my '14 Palazzo 33.3 bunkhouse...

now, my 33.3 floorplan, with the front-facing master bed, may be quite different than other floorplans with side facing beds, or a rear bath or closet with a 'step up', as mine has no step up... even other '14 Palazzo floorplans may be different.

My bedframe is essentially the 'raised platform' above the engine.
About 2/3 of the bed can tilt up, with the aid of gas shocks, revealing a carpeted storage area.
The foot of the bed, about 12", is a separate storage/mounting area for the ATS and the rear of the Electrical main panel and Fuse panel.

I figured that while there was no 'access' to be seen, as with other floorplans and manufacturers who have an easily seen 'access panel' on the rear floor area, the carpet must be covering up the floor access cutout.

I pulled one side of the carpet up as best as possible, not knowing if it was separate from the rear and the sides, as the carpet covers the floor and the sides, and even goes under the foot of the bedframe where the electrical items are located. I eventually had to cut the end at the foot, and pull hard on the sides, as the factory had actually applied staples several places.

Once the carpet was lifted up and moved out of the way, I could see the plywood cutout and eventually found the 5 screws that holds it down.

I've attached some photos... this is the first time I've really every 'seen' my engine! (at least the top of it).... though I've HEARD it many times!
Helps to understand why Frieghtliner shops charge more for DP.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 11:06 PM   #9

THOR #13712
isn't that the Co-pilot's job?

Old 03-10-2024, 11:10 PM   #10

THOR #13712
excellent description for the 33.x units, beds going north/south. In the 36.x and 37.x units, beds going east/west, the hatch should be in the master bath (2017, 2018, 2019, ???), but look from underneath if possible.