Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2020, 04:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Palazzo Owners

I’m looking at late model Palazzos. How do they drive and ride? How is the suspension? Noise inside when driving? Are they a good coach for 2016-2020?

Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:23 PM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
can't speak for any differences between my late-term 2014 33.3 Palazzo and the 'newer' ones, but as they are all built on the 'same' XCS Freightliner Custom Chassis platform, there's probably little difference - a VERY smooth ride, with both shocks and air bags, and a nice 'low' sitting chassis, which adds to the lower center of gravity, and especially nice if you weigh your new coach's axles at a CAT scale and manage your tire PSI levels to that of what your tire manufacturer specifies - mine are running about 90 up front, and 95 in the rears.
No noticeable 'noise' in the coach, especially since it's a REAR diesel 'pusher' which makes for 'normal' driving and conversations in the driver area, but the rear ISB6.7 Cummins engine and Allison transmissions gives a great torque for the 'compact diesel' coach.
You may find some slight differences in the differing lengths of the models, as mine is the shorter 34', with some reaching up to maybe 38' in length.

Take a test drive and see. Sometimes the experience in driving it will depend on your more recent 'experience' in driving other RV types or models, as we came from an original Ram diesel dulley pulling a 40' fifth wheel, and a more recent new FR Georgetown Class A Gas motorhome at 38', before trading to our Palazzo back in late 2014. Sometimes it's a world of difference, though all have their own positives depending on how you look at them.

By the way, just filled up the diesel tank at $1.88 diesel, Auburn, Alabama, the other day.
Crazy good. And, at 12mpg, it's a very nice 'economical' coach to own.

I've delivered brand new diesel and gas coaches of all lengths and engine sizes from the factories to dealerships all over the country, and know a little bit about the 'differences' between many. If you like a 45' diesel pusher on the XCR 'high-rail' chassis with a 450hp or more engine, you'll also need a lot more money in your pocket when you fill up, even with low diesel prices - they only average 6-9mpg, depending on the driver.
If you prefer to stay with a more 'common' GAS motorhome, you'll also experience a less 6-9mpg fuel economy.
https://www.fcccrv.com/chassis/xc/#frame-rail
The Palazzo's XCS chassis and Cummins ISB engine with Allison transmission is a 'best in class' combination, with the weight of the coach and the torque... which is also a combination for several other competitor models, like the Fleetwood PaceArrow, the Coachmen Sportscoach, the Winnebago Forza, and even the high-end Newmar NewAIRE(which I believe is an indicator of the value, yet magnitude, of this chassis design).

One great positive, in my experience, is the LOW stance of the XCS chassis - meaning that only a SINGLE entry step is needed, and sometimes not even that is really required - when you drop/deflate/lower the air bags when you park, the chassis is very low to the ground and it makes for such a more pleasant parking experience, easy entry and exit, and sometimes allows you no need to even lower the hydraulic levelers, especially for a simple overnight while traveling, etc.
These coaches are also well-equipped with full INVERTER capacity for ALL outlets - not just the fridge or only 'several' outlets, but ALL, and ALL THE TIME> your travels and your overnights when no Shore Power or Generator is available still allows you to use 120v power, including the microwave, while traveling or while off-grid or overnight along the way. You can most anything and everything no matter whether traveling or parked.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #3

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Thank you to the Turner family. Dood info and sounds like good advise.
Bill
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:16 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
104,000 miles and still going strong - love it... especially since the last fill up was at $1.88 per gallon of diesel in Auburn, Alabama : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote