Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Palazzo Used Value

Hey I have noticed that Thor Palazzo's seem to really drop in value after only 4 years a 2016 is NADA valued around $85,000-$95.000 dependant on model. Why does this model drop from new $265,000 or more to below $100,000 so quickly?

Thinking of buying one but now I'm afraid they may be junk. Who can tell me how they ride and handle? How well they stay together?

Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:04 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Used value is based on what someone is willing to pay for it... at that moment.
If you like them: buy one, and find your value in your enjoyment of the RV.

Besides: All of them are really lousy financial investments.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:08 PM   #3

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Used value is based on what someone is willing to pay for it... at that moment.
If you like them: buy one, and find your value in your enjoyment of the RV.

Besides: All of them are really lousy financial investments.
Investment? I always saw a motorhome as a liability.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:15 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
You're more right than you think...
I have always felt that what you've got in them; is far less important than what you get out of them.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #5

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Hey I have noticed that Thor Palazzo's seem to really drop in value after only 4 years a 2016 is NADA valued around $85,000-$95.000 dependant on model. Why does this model drop from new $265,000 or more to below $100,000 so quickly?

Thinking of buying one but now I'm afraid they may be junk. Who can tell me how they ride and handle? How well they stay together?
The 265k is msrp. I was looking at them in 2016 and they were going for 160k-190k dependant on model

And agree with the above statements they are terrible investments money wise but great for adventure

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 05:57 PM   #6

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
Any RV, unfortunately is a money sink. They lose value amazingly quickly. Before buying, you need to have a good understanding of how much you are willing and able to lose, once you buy. Additionally they are very 'needy' meaning constant attention to keeping everything working, since they are virtually pounded to near death when in motion. After long trips, I always spent a day or so, just tightening screws and bolts on everything I could get to. Always found loose ones. We did really enjoy the RV vacations and traveling, for twenty years plus.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:15 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
A boat is a hole in the water you pour money into

The RV is a box you do the same to

Even the high end RV's are simply a life style that you use to get rid if any extra money lying around

In today's market you might as well spend it
Old 11-27-2020, 09:08 PM   #8

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Arkansas
THOR #11607
I've owned several TTs and motorhomes over the years. We bought a 2014 Palazzo with 18k miles in June. Absolutely having a blast and love it. This is my first diesel pusher. I tow a 4dr Jeep Rubicon . I can set the cruise between 63 to 65 and she's stable as a rock. Went to Freightliner Service Center in Gaffney SC. Pulled Saluda Mountain (7% grade) on I26 coming back to Knoxville and topped out at 40mph.

Will there be issues? I'm sure there will be. Never owned a RV, boat or plane that didn't. Could I have spent more money? Definitely. But I would still have issues. The floorplan is perfect for us and does everthing we want it to do. We have a trip planned to the Rockies for the month of May next year.

Buy what you like at a price your comfortable with, then enjoy. Forget what NADA or anyone says. All just opinions at the end of the day.
TripleGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:03 PM   #9

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
We wrote ours off as a ZERO in the asset column.
It isn't worth a penny until it is converted to actual, in the bank, after tax, cash.
If it sells for $5,000 when we're done with it, we'll be $5,000 ahead.

Same with houses and cars and collectables.
They're all zero until they're after tax cash.

It makes our life easy and future financial figuring fraught free.

Call your rv a zero, and never worry again.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:47 PM   #10

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I paid $135k for our 2014 Palazzo 33.3...so NO Palazzo is selling BRAND NEW for anywhere NEAR what the MSRP might otherwise make you think - and YOU certainly shouldn't pay anywhere near that for a New one, either - or for ANY RV, for that matter.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:08 AM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Since this is kinda settled:
I have a hijack.

If I pay the very very least for my rv, the very very furthest from msrp I can, should I get the same service as someone who paid msrp or should I understand how the dealer has an extra $25,000 or so to throw at msrp guy the delar doesn't have for me?
Some dealers charge an extra fee for service if you didn't buy it from them.

And
What part of msrp would get you to SURRENDER the warranty?
Used people possibly don't have a warranty and it reflects in the price.
Used people buy one fearlessly, could/should a new one be offered the same way?

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 12:15 AM   #12

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I paid $135k for our 2014 Palazzo 33.3...so NO Palazzo is selling BRAND NEW for anywhere NEAR what the MSRP might otherwise make you think - and YOU certainly shouldn't pay anywhere near that for a New one, either - or for ANY RV, for that matter.
They might be now because of Covid and the shortage of RV’s.

I bought my rig to live in, resale is what it is when I sell it.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:36 AM   #13

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Anybody can pay anything they want for anything they wish to buy, and where ever they wish to buy it - but the 'street value', or otherwise known as 'cash value' has nothing to do with 'where' or 'when' or 'why' or 'what for' you bought it for - it's the combined 'average' of sales across a very broad range, generally within the U.S., for transactions of a similar or same like style and model, etc. There might be slight variations due to the area, the inventory in some areas, etc. Getting caught up in trying to 'guess' the future value of something is problematic.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:51 PM   #14

State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Quote:

All units have issues - we have the 2018 Palazzo 36.1 model and love it. have we had some minor issues? yes, everybody does I don't care what you spend. They gave us an extended warranty and we had a couple of items fixed under it, ice maker, AC control, but not much else as it can take months to get things done and that takes away from our adventure. The Freightliner folks fixed the exhaust additive take pump issue under warranty so no issues there. we still have a dash vent issue where it does not always go to defrost or vent, but I'm working around that as FL says it's a coach MFG issue and Thor Says it's a FL issue, so inreality it's a Chuck issue! We never looked at this as a monetary investment (just like our boat) but an investment in a way to visit family and friends on our time schedule and enjoy the journey and time seeing the country. Would I but one if I was not retired - NO WAY! These things need to be used and run, especially if it's a DSL! WE may have overpaid by a bit but we bought a used 2018 in 2018 with 8k miles and paid over $100k off the supposed original MSRP - good/bad? didn't matter, we wnated to move up from out 5th wheel and travel! Buy into the Mototcoach life for the right reasons and the investment issue will settle itself out!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #15

THOR #11952
LOVE our Palazzo 36.1!

We bought new in 2018, 2500 on the odometer when we bought it, 18,630 on it today. We had issues with the big slide but everything was repaired under warranty at no expense to us. It took about 12 months total in the shop to get everything right but we couldn't be happier with the pulling power, floorplan, appliances, solar and especially the 2nd bathroom and laundry. We boondock, stay at public and private campgrounds and occasionally a resort. The Palazzo gives us the freedom to be contained while traveling especially during the pandemic. No regrets, money very well spent in order to keep our sanity during the California lockdowns. You cannot buy happiness but our RV comes close.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:23 PM   #16

State: Texas
THOR #3182
Quote:
Our 2015 Palazzo had 2500 miles when we purchased it for $134K and we knew going in that this was obviously not the top end diesel RV money could buy. Buying second hand saved us close to $50K. But it was built on the same Freightliner chassis that a lot of other MH builders were using. Being fairly handy I figured if we did end up spending some $ on the inside for repairs or upgrades we'll likely still end up better off than the guy who spent $300K on his MH.

I've done quite a few remodeling projects on our unit, completely remodeled the shower and did away with all the plastic fixtures and really didn't spend a lot at all doing it. You're going to make it your own anyway, might as well spend as little as possible up front. You will likely end up replacing or recovering all of the furniture in that year model... I think across the board everyone has had to deal with that poor fabric issue.
I've also gotten pretty good at Scwintech slide troubleshooting.

We came from a 32' class C gasser so that is all I have to judge drive-ability by... this thing is night and day better going down the road loaded than a class C. Being able to tow a half ton pickup up and down fairly steep inclines and barely even hearing the engine back there or feeling it... my next diesel pusher MH will be another diesel pusher MH. As far as the engine, tires, brakes and transmission under the thing I don't even think about them.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:28 AM   #17
MLP

THOR #17478
All RV's drop like a rock. So do boats, cars, and motor cycles. Cars can go down slowly unless think of the Yugo or Aztek. I purchased a 2013 Thor Palazzo with 7896 miles on it. Owned by a retired doctor for $79K. Got it on consignment with a wonderful, but expensive, six year extended warranty. Used 9k of it this past year on the BIG slide. It involved two issues one caused by the other. It took five months for the first and two and a half for the other. New rails, redesigned by Lippert, for the Swintek gear rails, and all new seals. The second was the columns. They were broken after the first repair. A cable was caught in the guide wheel causing the wonderful torque of the motor to snap them and push the external rivets out. Not far, because I saw that the slide was twisting as it was going out. Covid-19 caused most of the delay. Dealer, Lippet, and Thor. All shut down at different times. Also caused part delays and shipping delays. Could not have used it most of the time anyway do to CA shutdowns. Now it is fantastic and has everything we were looking for. The engine and trans are exactly what the city and county buses used. Good for 500k miles so long as you do all servicing. If we get 7 or 8K when we are done camping in ten to fifteen years, who cares. We will maintain it, and someone will get a bargain for it.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:35 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If a boat is nothing but a hole in the water; into which one throws money: RVs have the relationship with the woods..
Don't play... if you can't afford to pay!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:31 PM   #19

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I think most of us agree, lifestyle and entertainment are two things worth paying for

Most folks have something they spend money on and camping and RV life style has to be one of the best given the benefits. It isn't for everyone but those of us that get hooked tend to stay on as long as we can. I have owned RV's for 60 plus years and never made any money on one but sure enjoyed each and every one.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:07 PM   #20

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
I have a friend who spends, I’d guess, $30,000 or more per year on GOLF. Whatever floats your boat.