Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2017, 06:35 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Outlaw 37RB
State: Washington
THOR #7789
Picking up out-of-state, must-haves?

Looks like we are probably going to take delivery of an Outlaw Class A this Sunday (super excited!). Thing is, we're flying two states away and if everything checks out, planning on driving it back about 800mi. Part of that plan is doing the PDI and staying overnight in the coach at the dealership and not leaving until they fix anything we ask for. We have experience hauling and traveling with a TT -- but only a little in a motorhome, and definitely not this big. So, my question is -- if this were you, what's on your "must" list for doing the PDI and doing a medium haul in a brand-new-nothing-in-it coach? I have a lot of applicable stuff at home, but are limited by airline luggage space/weight. We also do have AAA Premium for emergencies.

My "bring" list so far:
  • A very basic tool kit: couple adjustable wrenches, pliers, electric screwdriver w/bit kit
  • High PSI tire gauge
  • Gloves
  • Blue masking tape (for marking during PDI)
  • Notebook
  • Flashlight
  • Inspection mirror
The "purchase when we get there" list:
  • Extension cord
  • Sewer hose
  • Bedding
  • Plastic stool for us vertically-challenged folks
  • Paper towels, TP, & soap
  • Single malt scotch (for after a full day of driving)
Anything I'm forgetting?

Old 07-01-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkTank View Post
Looks like we are probably going to take delivery of an Outlaw Class A this Sunday (super excited!). Thing is, we're flying two states away and if everything checks out, planning on driving it back about 800mi. Part of that plan is doing the PDI and staying overnight in the coach at the dealership and not leaving until they fix anything we ask for. We have experience hauling and traveling with a TT -- but only a little in a motorhome, and definitely not this big. So, my question is -- if this were you, what's on your "must" list for doing the PDI and doing a medium haul in a brand-new-nothing-in-it coach? I have a lot of applicable stuff at home, but are limited by airline luggage space/weight. We also do have AAA Premium for emergencies.

My "bring" list so far:
  • A very basic tool kit: couple adjustable wrenches, pliers, electric screwdriver w/bit kit
  • High PSI tire gauge
  • Gloves
  • Blue masking tape (for marking during PDI)
  • Notebook
  • Flashlight
  • Inspection mirror
The "purchase when we get there" list:
  • Extension cord
  • Sewer hose
  • Bedding
  • Plastic stool for us vertically-challenged folks
  • Paper towels, TP, & soap
  • Single malt scotch (for after a full day of driving)
Anything I'm forgetting?
As long as you have the Single malt scotch - it will make everything else better..

There are some good PDI lists on here - do a quick search - I don't have the direct links.
The better the PDI, the less 'stuff' you will need to get home - so take your time and ask questions... Plan hours not minutes.

You will want a drinking water hose if you will connect to city water in route - or to use with bleach in sanitizing the on board water tank before using that... or just buy bottled water and take care of it when you get home.

I'm sure others will add more.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:12 PM   #3

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Virginia
THOR #7607
Since the selling dealer will not be of much help once you leave, hopefully you have a reputable dealer near home to make repairs.
Not sure about the prices at the dealer you are buying from but many of the consumables that we all buy are available at better prices elsewhere. A little plug for Walmart here, if you go to where they keep the trailer hitches in the auto dept. there is usually a few shelved devoted to RV stuff.😊
Since your flying you will need to leave your gun at home, so just concentrate on the PDI. I can't think of any item small enough to bring, other than a credit card that will get you home to your tools or a dealer.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Unless you were planning on getting the rv at gunpoint, yea leave it at home or where mines at, the gun store, but this for another thread. He also mentioned the biggest item of all a credit card.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #5

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If it's any kind of dealer you should get a sewer hose, drinking water hose, POS water regulator, a package of TP, toilet/grey tank chemicals thrown in on the deal, at least every time I've bought/traded we got it & the last time also got 25% of everything in their store.
There's 1 item I think should come with every rv, a surge protector, wouldn't leave without one, too many parks with old worn out equipment & too many delicate electronics on your rv.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:20 PM   #6

THOR #7789
OK, thanks. That's confirmation of what I was thinking. We do have a couple warranty dealers back home, but the main focus is definitely on the PDI.

The travel home is only a couple days travelling easy so even though I like to be prepared, I'm probably overthinking it. I'll plan on spending a few bucks in the dealer's parts department and a Walmart on the way out to get the basics and call it good.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:09 PM   #7

Model: ACE 29.2
THOR #8026
My most often used item is a big padded moving blanket that I bought at a local tool liquidation store for about $6. Comes in extremely handy as a pad every time I have to kneel down to inspect the jacks or something under the rig. Even if I have to spread it all the way out to crawl completely under, it still has enough padding to be quite comfortable.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:20 PM   #8

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I highly suggest that you read Ed Felker's Manual. Lots of good information.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:39 AM   #9

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
I can't understand why you would need an extension cord.
the other things you list are good I think.
& I always suggest staying at the dealership and doing what you propose. I think I would even stay a second night nearby, with a standing appointment in their service bay the following day....just in case.

The rest I think depends on your mechanical aptitude, rv experience, etc....
If you know how to use them, I would add things like multi-meter, and infrared thermometer &/or quick read thermometer.

I even brought along a battery load tester and a hydrometer....except they had the thing plugged in (charging) when i showed up so I was unable to test teh batteries. I did unplug form shore power and tried everything on battery (and there was enough charge held to trick me....
For what it's worth...assume the house battery is bad. They sit on the lot, lights get left on, over discharged and sit drained for long time....

I crawled under the coach, I switched on and off everything. tested the water pump system, the city water system, the water heater, the furnace, the AC, every light,..... everything. Filled the tanks, checked for leaks, etc.... checked the fridge on LP, checked it on AC, checked it with the generator running...
I crawled on the roof, asked questions, and took pictures.
Every switch, every system. About the only thing besides the battery I couldn't thoroughly test was the cable tv inlet...just because they didn't have it there to hook up.

Even still... I still missed things. I found things that first night in the campground that I didn't see.

Honestly for the trip home, you'd need linens and paper plates, toilet paper.... maybe a broom....not much else...mnost all of it you could pick up once you're there are walmart or a dollar store
Old 07-02-2017, 04:40 AM   #10

THOR #7789
Makes sense. I find I usually need an extension cord for something, but could easily get one if needed so it's really not a must-have at all.

I agree, I just finished packing and a meter and infrared thermometer went in with my tools. Was also able to combine a few tools I had with a decent leathermans tool instead.

I did download a copy of Ed's manual.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #11

Brand: Jayco
Model: Alante
State: West Virginia
THOR #5597
We spent about $500.00 on things like cooking utensils, silverware, plates, bedding, and some misc. items. we took about a week to get home, but 3 days was spent waiting in Ga. to get a Safe-T-Plus installed. I took a few tools, but couldn't take much as we didn't have too much space in the luggage on the way down. Amtrak limits you to two pieces of carry on luggage in the overhead racks, and our first train didn't have any checked luggage (not that we wanted checked baggage). It was an adventure to say the least, but a fun one.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:26 PM   #12

THOR #7607
Another thing to research ahead of time is the price of an extended warranty if you will be getting one.(You know the sales manager will sit you down and try to add it to your deal. There was a thread lately about it and the fellow was able to finagle a better price from the dealer on a Good Sam policy because he knew what other competitors would charge him for one.
I was totally unprepared when I went through my purchase.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:35 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerChips View Post
Another thing to research ahead of time is the price of an extended warranty if you will be getting one.(You know the sales manager will sit you down and try to add it to your deal. There was a thread lately about it and the fellow was able to finagle a better price from the dealer on a Good Sam policy because he knew what other competitors would charge him for one.
I was totally unprepared when I went through my purchase.
Is it easier to get dealers to do extended warranty work vs. Thor warranty work? Recent threads have talked about how dealers don't like warranty work because Thor doesn't reimbursed them well?
Old 07-03-2017, 01:25 AM   #14
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Is it easier to get dealers to do extended warranty work vs. Thor warranty work? Recent threads have talked about how dealers don't like warranty work because Thor doesn't reimbursed them well?
It is sometimes difficult to get a dealer that didn't sell you the rig to do warranty work - they tend to take care of the customers that bought from them - but haven't heard of any issues with getting a dealer to do work under extended service plans (they are not warranties).
Still need to wait for an appointment, etc...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:23 AM   #15

THOR #7607
Any dealer has to schedule your initial evaluation and will not proceed without Thor approving the work/parts. Then you have to wait for that approval to take place and the correct parts to arrive and then get on the calendar for the actual repair.
The extended warranty begins after the 1st year. You will have to consider the terms of years, who can do the repairs, if there are any excluded components (like generators). As the other fellow discovered, you dont have to get one from this dealer there are many companies that sell them, just educate yourself so that you will know a fair price for what you are getting.
Old 07-03-2017, 03:04 AM   #16

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
Get the dealer to throw in the essentials you will need if you stop to camp. Sewer hose, water hose, toilet paper, etc. Most dealers do this anyway but I'm sure some you have to ask.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:07 PM   #17

THOR #7789
Thanks all. We took delivery of the Outlaw 37RB from DeMartini RV in Grass Valley, CA and drove it 800mi home, all good. DeMartini was pretty helpful, straightforward to work with and low-pressure. Ended up spending over half a day doing tests and inspection. Blue painters tape was definitely a good technique (I don't know where I heard that suggestion first, but it was a good one). I just taped everything I found and the tech even fixed a couple of minor things I marked without even bringing them up. Brought my overalls and that made it easy to do all the underside. I had them throw in a Camco starter kit that had enough to test everything and get us home. Checked the completed repairs, finalized the paperwork and we drove away. Hit Walmart on the way out for stuff like bedding and we were plenty stocked.

I did not get the extended warranty at the dealer because we'll buy it at a dealer near home. I asked one of the local dealers and they agreed (at least on the phone) that would make us one of their "bought from us" customers and able to get things scheduled sooner in service. We'll see. Personally I find that silly since they don't even carry the Outlaw models, but it is what it is!