Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2019, 05:41 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
You see: you already know more, than what you give yourself credit for!

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:16 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Georgia
THOR #4988
When in storage, we keep our ACE plugged into a mechanical timer that allows the batteries to charge three hours a day. That keeps the batteries charged and has so far solved the issue with boiling the batteries. We leave the battery switch is "Use" almost always unless stored without shore power for whatever reason..
Old 11-09-2019, 08:04 PM   #23

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
All over the map

You are going to get answers all over the map on this one. All I can do is tell you what i do. I have a Sprinter Chassis Synergy with 2 coach batteries and 1 chassis battery. I pay $100.00 a month during the winter for storage in a local farmers out building that contains several other boats and RV's. To prevent battery discharge I visit that building every 2 weeks and run the RV chassis motor for 30 minutes along with starting the generator. Then I shut it all down, use the onboard switch to disconnect the coach batteries and repeat the process in another 2 weeks. Works for me.

(My town will not allow RV's on property October through April)
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #24
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya View Post
When in storage, we keep our ACE plugged into a mechanical timer that allows the batteries to charge three hours a day. That keeps the batteries charged and has so far solved the issue with boiling the batteries. We leave the battery switch is "Use" almost always unless stored without shore power for whatever reason..
What sort of charger are you using?
A true "Battery Maintainer" wouldn't need to be shut down" they automatically vary the charge based upon what the battery (ies) need...
Old 11-09-2019, 09:04 PM   #25

Model: Hurricane 29m
State: Florida
THOR #13665
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
First off, is it an inverter under the bed or is it a converter that is under the bed? There is a huge difference. Normally converters are under the bed near the fuse box/breaker panel and inverters are generally in a storage bay relatively close to the house batteries.

A converter's fan will run quite often to keep things cool. An inverter's cooling fan only runs when the inverter is turned on and the inverter is warm/hot.

Also, you do have a use/store switch which might be referred to as master power. That switch, if you don't know where it is, can give you some real headaches if inadvertently turned off (store) because it will kill power to 99 percent of the coach.
Thank you for straightening that out. So many people confuse converters with inverters. All RVs come with converters (110v to 12v) and most boondockers will have inverters (12v to 110v) to run TVs and other 110v appliances.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #26

State: California
THOR #15490
Think of it this way. A unit with solar panels is always on and they dont harm anything.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:52 PM   #27

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Anytime the RV is not being used for more than a week, I disconnect the coach batteries with a knife switch on the ground cable. Then I connect battery maintainers, one on the coach batteries and one on the chassis battery. I leave them connected and powered for the entire time that the RV is being stored. All batteries are maintenance-free, so I am not concerned about them boiling dry.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:15 PM   #28
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
A solid choice!
Old 11-10-2019, 12:32 AM   #29

Model: Palazzo 36.2
State: Illinois
THOR #12796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you don't put any charge in those batteries over your Winter: what shape do you think they're going to be in next Spring?

Plug them in...

I remove the Batteries from my Diesel Pickup that used to pull my travel trailer before I had a motor home. I store them in the house when I leave in November. I install them back in the truck when I get home. ( Last winter, it was late June) The batteries have been fine. I stay in My motor home when I'm not home. If you store a vehicle with any connected batteries, the connected batteries will discharge. Storing batteries for a couple months at 45 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit should not cause them to deteriorate. If you store disconnected batteries long enough and they get cold they will die. I generally stay home during summer. I generally travel away from the northern mid-west in the winter I try to find a job for a couple months to help pay expenses. Most places I stay are much less crowded between Thanksgiving and tax day.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:03 AM   #30

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Batteries will always do better when they are kept charged. I leave the Gemini plugged all the time its in storage, and did so for many years with my former RV.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #31

State: Illinois
THOR #13262
Hi we use 2 battery tenders 1 for the house and 1 for the chassis I do check the house batteries and start the engine every so often. I also look for any mouse activity since we are on a grain farm.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #32

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
Extremes of temperature are not good for storing batteries. High heat promotes a chemical reaction and quick discharge; cold temperatures can allow battery electrolyte to freeze.
Old 11-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #33
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
The key is to keep your batteries fully charged-up.
A fully charged battery is pretty safe until temperatures get down to minus 76 degrees.
A fully discharged battery can freeze at 32 degrees...

https://www.cars.com/articles/can-a-...1420663028909/
Old 11-10-2019, 02:36 PM   #34

State: Virginia
THOR #16769
What you are hearing under the bed is a converter. It changes 120 volts to 12 volts. This is what maintains your battery. The inverter does the opposite and that is what you turn off with the button you mentioned. It runs fridge and in my case tv as well. I have a fifth wheel and motorhome, leave both plugged in all the time.
Old 11-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #35

THOR #12610
batteries

Discharged batteries can and will freeze in low temp situations. This breaks plates and ruins batteries. When I bought mine new it had weak batteries, I think they froze on lot. I tried to get help at camping world, but I won't go there or I'll hit the language limits on site. I plug in, on nice days I unplug turn on lights ect. to run batteries down some so they don't sulfate (constant charge with no use causes battery to seem to have memory, because plates have sulfate on them insulating them from charging and discharging fully.) I spent a few years as a truck mechanic, and saw this in our fleet. We sometimes changed an alternator when the batteries were sulfated. AND if you store batteries anywhere never on concrete ,it sucks the acid through and you will end up with a dull and leaking battery I would take charge off once in a while and maybe create a way to discharge for a while to cycle. We did this in our battery store room. These are reasons a good parts store will have dry batteries and fill to sell.
Old 11-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #36

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Nevada
THOR #11264
Talking Plug in or not for storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD2019 View Post
We have just finished our first year with our new 2018 Thor 29.3 motorhome and are putting it away for the winter. We have been told to leave the batteries in and the rig plugged into power. We have also been told to remove and store batteries in a cool place(on a charger). My main question is that if we leave it plugged in then the inverter motor that in under the bed will be running all winter (6 months) for no reason and is this good for it? Any input would be greatly appreciated
We leave ours plugged in during storage of any type. We also place it in store mode. We haven’t had any problems either. With our more mild climate in winter, we’re more inclined to use it a few times. Less pressure from the amount of other looking for sites during summer.

Welcome, enjoy your coach and ask away. This forum has more helpful folks than I ever imagined. We all love RV lifestyles and the ability to decompress while on the road. After this winter storage you will be seasoned and no longer a newbie too lol