Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2019, 12:52 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29.3 ACE
State: Nova Scotia
THOR #15869
To Plug in or not during winter storage

We have just finished our first year with our new 2018 Thor 29.3 motorhome and are putting it away for the winter. We have been told to leave the batteries in and the rig plugged into power. We have also been told to remove and store batteries in a cool place(on a charger). My main question is that if we leave it plugged in then the inverter motor that in under the bed will be running all winter (6 months) for no reason and is this good for it? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
If you have a standard inverter the inverter can be turned off during storage. If it is an inverter/charger then it would need to remain on.

I keep my rig plugged in during the winter because I may want to use it. Right now we have a trip planned for February. I have always kept my coach plugged in, use/store switch in use, and inverter off and I have never had any issues (over 7 years doing this). If you have shore power capability during storage IMHO you are best keeping it plugged in.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you don't put any charge in those batteries over your Winter: what shape do you think they're going to be in next Spring?

Plug them in...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
If you don't want to leave the whole coach plugged in all winter (aforementioned fan in the inverter) you could always leave the batteries in the coach, disconnected from the coach with a battery maintainer hooked up to them (depending on if its easier to hook up the maintainer vs completely removing the batteries).

Where we store ours I have no power so I'm running the engines periodically while in storage.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yup!
I put disconnect switches on both ends of my battery bank; for that reason.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1572790732
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Second Cutoff Added.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	21245  
Old 11-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Iowa
THOR #15642
I just installed around 550w of solar panels. I would assume that would be good enough? Guess I'll check it in storage periodically to see how much sun is getting through to them after it snows.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #7

THOR #15869
So if we leave the batteries in then the inverter fan is what is running that we can hear from under the bed? So there is no problem with this going all winter as it would be much easier to leave it plugged in than to remove and store (on a charger) in our basement. Not mechanically inclined at all so no DIY's for us as far as leaving in rig on a charger.
We don't have a Use/store button so not sure what that means.
Our fridge is electric and to have it on we have an inverter button that is on the wall beside it ans it has to be on for the fridge to run plugged in or not.
At home we turn that button off but something still runs under the bed???
Sorry for the long post but new at this and not sure what everything does yet.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:01 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisngrod View Post
I just installed around 550w of solar panels. I would assume that would be good enough? Guess I'll check it in storage periodically to see how much sun is getting through to them after it snows.
Keep the panels clean, and you'll be good to go!
Old 11-03-2019, 11:04 PM   #9

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
Keep it plugged in and be sure to keep your batteries full. Constant charging seems to burn of battery fluids in our RV. I added an easy fill system to aid in this process. Happy camping.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:28 PM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD2019 View Post
So if we leave the batteries in then the inverter fan is what is running that we can hear from under the bed? So there is no problem with this going all winter as it would be much easier to leave it plugged in than to remove and store (on a charger) in our basement. Not mechanically inclined at all so no DIY's for us as far as leaving in rig on a charger.
We don't have a Use/store button so not sure what that means.
Our fridge is electric and to have it on we have an inverter button that is on the wall beside it ans it has to be on for the fridge to run plugged in or not.
At home we turn that button off but something still runs under the bed???
Sorry for the long post but new at this and not sure what everything does yet.
First off, is it an inverter under the bed or is it a converter that is under the bed? There is a huge difference. Normally converters are under the bed near the fuse box/breaker panel and inverters are generally in a storage bay relatively close to the house batteries.

A converter's fan will run quite often to keep things cool. An inverter's cooling fan only runs when the inverter is turned on and the inverter is warm/hot.

Also, you do have a use/store switch which might be referred to as master power. That switch, if you don't know where it is, can give you some real headaches if inadvertently turned off (store) because it will kill power to 99 percent of the coach.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-03-2019, 11:56 PM   #11

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
For what its worth, 3 class A's over the last 20 years, I've always kept them plugged in all winter, check the batteries fall and spring. I have only turned the inverter off once, to change the batteries in our last coach. Had it 15 years and the inverter was on 24/7/365. No issues.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:07 AM   #12

THOR #15869
I did not know there were 2 things (sorry) It must be a converter that comes on & off during the day & night that is under the bed. There is also another box under there as well that I will have to look at tomorrow and also look for the Inverter near the batteries. We do have a main power switch that is just on/off toggle which is always on. It looks like the best bet is to leave it plugged in and check batteries now & again in spring to make sure they are topped up.
Thank you all for your help as it is a huge learning curve for us and as you can probably see we don't know that much !!! Dave
Old 11-04-2019, 12:47 AM   #13

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
Your converter under the bed converts AC to DC. Your battery charger is typically part of the converter and will have an associated fan you will here. The inverter (if equipped) converts DC back to AC. Your inverter should be mounted where you have direct access and can readily turn it on and off. In my ACE 29.4, its located on the floor just to the left of the door and powers outlets for both TVs and the exterior outlet for the exterior refrigerator. Hope this helps.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:33 AM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
I did not know there were 2 things (sorry) It must be a converter that comes on & off during the day & night that is under the bed. There is also another box under there as well that I will have to look at tomorrow and also look for the Inverter near the batteries. We do have a main power switch that is just on/off toggle which is always on. It looks like the best bet is to leave it plugged in and check batteries now & again in spring to make sure they are topped up.
Thank you all for your help as it is a huge learning curve for us and as you can probably see we don't know that much !!! Dave
We have all been there, but the learning curve gets smaller over time. Keep asking the questions.
FMCA - F432054
Old 11-04-2019, 03:05 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
The ATS, power center, charger (which is under the power center), the Rapid Camp module, the controller for the bedroom in-wall slide, and the inverter are under the bed.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #16

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Colorado
THOR #15515
I will be leaving 2016 25.2 Axis plugged in for the winter. Should I leave the switch it store or use? How do I know if I have a converter or inverter or both? Thanks
Old 11-04-2019, 12:24 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If it's going to be plugged in: set it to "Use".
Old 11-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #18

THOR #15515
Thanks Bob
Old 11-04-2019, 02:26 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860

The only time that our rig has that switched turned "Off" (or whatever it's called...), is when it's not plugged in to shore power, and not being used.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #20

THOR #15515
So far that's how I have been using the switch. Thanks