Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 29FE Freedom Elite
State: Idaho
THOR #15730
Plugged in, not charging batteries

I understand for winter storage many folks leave their MH plugged in to power so as to keep a charge on the house batteries. I winterized my coach and then plugged it into a nearby 30amp outdoor outlet. The store/use switch inside lit up and the microwave, t.v. etc lights came on to indicate the coach was indeed receiving power. 3 weeks go by and I go out to start the generator to "exercise" it for an hour and it won't start. I guess you can't start it while plugged into power. I unplug the power and switch the store/use switch on and there is no light. I turn on some LED interior lights and they do not function. I try to start the generator and it will not crank over or make any noise. The batteries (2 ea 12 volt) are relatively new purchased in May 2019. I hook up a portable jump starter to the batteries and the store/use switch lights up, the interior lights will now operate and the generator starts. This tells me the batteries were completely dead and not charging while the coach was plugged in, correct? Can anyone tell me why and if I'm missing something here??

Old 11-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
You have now discovered that the light by the USE/STORE switch only tells you if there is power on the DC buss, not the status of the USE/STORE switch (Relay). If plugged in, that light will be on even if the USE/STORE switch is in STORE.

So once you charge up those batteries and plug the coach back in place the USE/STORE switch in USE to have the converter charge the batteries.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Mine, and I'm guessing all Thor can start the generator while plugged into shore power.

And

The post above is correct.

We should, as a community, design a pilot light indicator which is lit only when power is correctly applied to the batteries.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #4

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
I learned that same lesson on my ACE. It makes absolutely no sense to me why the light doesn't toggle like the switch, but it is what it is. My failsafe is the dash radio, if it will come on you are in definitely on the USE setting. Good luck, enjoy.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:26 PM   #5

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
anytime you are plugged in, especially to 'charge' the batteries, the Use/Store switch must, obviously, be in the USE position.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:38 PM   #6

THOR #16072
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
I learned that same lesson on my ACE. It makes absolutely no sense to me why the light doesn't toggle like the switch, but it is what it is. My failsafe is the dash radio, if it will come on you are in definitely on the USE setting. Good luck, enjoy.
My 2015 Thor 31L (C class) - the dash radio also comes on whenever shore power is plugged in - even if the battery switch is off.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:54 AM   #7

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
Hey Thor, it shouldn't be this difficult to determine if a switch is on or off.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:06 AM   #8

THOR #16072
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
Hey Thor, it shouldn't be this difficult to determine if a switch is on or off.
Agreed!
Old 11-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #9

Model: 2018 29FE Freedom Elite
THOR #15730
I realize now that I used the term "Use/Store" switch. On my 2018 29FE the switch is labeled "Main Power" and it isn't a normal on-off switch. It is a toggle switch which can only be pushed on the top half. If you are plugged in and your push the lighted switch you hear a relay and the light blinks but stays on. You have no idea if you are in a Use mode or a store mode. If you are not plugged in and the light is on you are in Use mode. If you hit the toggle switch the light goes off and you have disconnected the battery and are in store mode. While the light is off and you are in store mode if you plug in the light comes on and that is when I "assume" the batteries are receiving a charge but at this point, I'm not real sure as my batteries seemed dead after the unit being plugged in for 3 weeks. I'm very confused at this point! Thanks for all the ideas and responses so far.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
In my RV: it is not lighted, and is marked as a simple "On/Off" switch...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:35 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmann View Post
I realize now that I used the term "Use/Store" switch. On my 2018 29FE the switch is labeled "Main Power" and it isn't a normal on-off switch. It is a toggle switch which can only be pushed on the top half. If you are plugged in and your push the lighted switch you hear a relay and the light blinks but stays on. You have no idea if you are in a Use mode or a store mode. If you are not plugged in and the light is on you are in Use mode. If you hit the toggle switch the light goes off and you have disconnected the battery and are in store mode. While the light is off and you are in store mode if you plug in the light comes on and that is when I "assume" the batteries are receiving a charge but at this point, I'm not real sure as my batteries seemed dead after the unit being plugged in for 3 weeks. I'm very confused at this point! Thanks for all the ideas and responses so far.
Why are you confused? You have been told the light does not tell you the status of the connection of the house batteries to the DC buss, only that the DC buss has power. Bottom line: if you plug in and don't push the switch to connect the house batteries to the DC buss they will not be charged.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:34 PM   #12

Model: RC25
THOR #11860
House battery not charging,

Occasionally your battery disconnect solenoid will stick closed, check the input and output voltage, it the output is "0" then it is bad or stuck closed, you can jump it and will generally fix the problem but I would purchase a back up for future use.

https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electr...disconnect.pdf
Old 11-13-2019, 07:42 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdoughe963 View Post
Occasionally your battery disconnect solenoid will stick closed, check the input and output voltage, it the output is "0" then it is bad or stuck closed, you can jump it and will generally fix the problem but I would purchase a back up for future use.

https://www.rvtechlibrary.com/electr...disconnect.pdf
"Closed" in electrical terms means there is a path for current. I think you are trying to say the solenoid is stuck "open". No path for current:

Old 11-13-2019, 07:50 PM   #14

THOR #11860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
"Closed" in electrical terms means there is a path for current. I think you are trying to say the solenoid is stuck "open". No path for current:

I always appreciate a spelling checker on the boards. Thank you! Surprised you didn't suggest that answer previously.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:37 PM   #15

THOR #16072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Same here - no light.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:09 AM   #16

THOR #11860
Solenoid

the switch is controls the solenoid, regardless whether or not it has and led light the control is actually the solenoid which if malfunctioning makes the switch moot.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:01 AM   #17

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
While you should check the solenoid as mentioned you should also check the Converter / Charger.

There are 12V fuses that could’ve blown and not allowing the Converter / Charger to keep the batteries charged. It could also be a bad Converter / Charger.

I purchased a brand new coach 6 weeks ago and it wasn’t charging the house batteries and it turned out to be the Converter. I replaced it with a much better Progressive Dynamics model and it works like a champ.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:41 AM   #18

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Mine is not lighted here either. That's why installed a dual voltage indicator to monitor the chassis and coach batteries. If I am plugged into shore power and the meters don't show either 13.2, 13.6, or 14.4 my converter is not charging the batteries. This also lets me know the battery level when running on the batteries.

Best 7.95 I have spent on the coach...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VOLT_METER.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	21433  
Old 11-23-2019, 05:05 AM   #19

Model: 28z
THOR #1797
off store switch

I keep seeing posts about the store use switch being off or on, turn
a light on near the switch. I turn on the overhead lights and leave it on when you turn off store switch the light goes off and on light goes on. That way no mistakes about leaving it off or on.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:01 AM   #20
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbyid View Post
I keep seeing posts about the store use switch being off or on, turn

a light on near the switch. I turn on the overhead lights and leave it on when you turn off store switch the light goes off and on light goes on. That way no mistakes about leaving it off or on.

Actually doesn’t quite work that way on most of our rigs... at least those on Ford chassis.
The typical issue is plugging in to shore power, but leaving the switch in ‘Store’... The converter receives shore power and sends 12v everywhere EXCEPT the batteries. Your light will be on, but the batteries not charging. Same for some newer rigs with lights built into the switch... It ‘lies’ too.

Rumor was this behavior would change in 2020.. and shore power would automatically bring the batteries in... Haven’t seen someone confirm that behavior yet.

Greg
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote