Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2015, 12:08 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1547
Glad to report we now have all three TV's working on the satellite!! Definitely worth the effort to add the RF modulator, A/B switch, and extra splitter, so we can have access to campground cable, the antenna, or Dish satellite through the exterior coax connection. We are happy campers!!

Pulled the microwave again today and rechecked all of the new connections. Turned out all was good, and it was just a question of forcing the other television tuners to go to channel 3. Felt pretty stupid!!!! Lesson learned!!!

Took lots of pictures of the empty microwave space. The piece of strand board on the bottom is not screwed down and just lifts up exposing lots more wiring underneath. Was a bit concerned that the 4 screws holding up the vent hood and light protrude with sharp points into the same space where all the wiring lays!! Could definitely see where that could be problematic!!

Thanks again for all of your help. Let us know if we can help anyone else wanting to do this!

Old 03-10-2015, 02:01 AM   #22

THOR #1123
Congrats on getting it squared away! I know you are relieved to have it working as planned. I've found its usually the simple things that cause me the frustrations. I plan on adding the A/B switch and splitter to mine for campground cable also. Would like to see the pictures whenever you have time to post. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:26 AM   #23
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happily Retired
Took lots of pictures of the empty microwave space. The piece of strand board on the bottom is not screwed down and just lifts up exposing lots more wiring underneath.
Wow I didn't even think to check that when I had my microwave out last year.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #24

THOR #1123
Happily Retired: I sent you a PM message regarding your satellite hook up.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:35 AM   #25

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
I just hooked up my dish for directv, our dish does not have HD capability so I use a standard definition receiver and it will run all the Rv's in the coach off the coax. It will not run HDMI to the others as you need to have the hdmi cable attached to the other tvs. It's not worth trying to run hdmi cables to get it to work. Sd definition works good for me.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 02:13 AM   #26

THOR #1547
Thor 293,

We only have hd on the main tv because the hdmi cable was already there!
Agree that the sd looks pretty good on the other two.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:29 PM   #27

State: Arkansas
THOR #6371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happily Retired View Post
Good and bad news!!

First the good! The Pathway X2 works great! Finds the satellites easily and automatically! Tried it out first with the cable through the window. Today we took out the microwave for better access and installed the RF modulator, splitter, and A/B switch. We now have Dish TV coming through the exterior coax connector. Also, the hdmi signal is great and even sd looks good on the main over the door TV.

Now the bad! We have no Dish signal on either the bedroom or exterior TV's. As Larry's did, we were also expecting both tv's to get the same sd channel as the main TV. We did have a spark from the antenna booster amp during installation. It is currently not working. That should not affect any of the tv's though, since it would be off for this application anyway. We have not yet located the fuse for it. Anyone know where it is or even if there is one? One thing we know for sure is that if the booster has to be replaced we will be using a much better one than Thor installed. There was so much sawdust and debris in the empty microwave space and the parts used were very cheap quality!!

We are heartened that the main tv has Dish through the exterior connection. We are also perplexed why the other two tv's are not receiving the sd signal from the RF modulator. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Currently the cable box only allows to hook up to cable not satellite as you have zero way of getting the cable to the satellite receiver. I would love to have satellite in the living area tv and over the air on the other two tv's and or cable at parks. Happily Retired I could not find a coax cable over the sink all I found was the tv signal booster. I kind of read your post that it was behind the microwave, which means I have to take the microwave out to wire for satellite to come from outside without going thru the window? That seems like a lot of work.
I am not sure I want to pull out the microwave, seems like a lot of work, however if I know for 100% sure I might do it one day. Plus did you still have regular tv signal on the bedroom tv? I want the option of over the air and satellite and or park cable. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:06 AM   #28

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherriBob View Post
Currently the cable box only allows to hook up to cable not satellite as you have zero way of getting the cable to the satellite receiver. I would love to have satellite in the living area tv and over the air on the other two tv's and or cable at parks. Happily Retired I could not find a coax cable over the sink all I found was the tv signal booster. I kind of read your post that it was behind the microwave, which means I have to take the microwave out to wire for satellite to come from outside without going thru the window? That seems like a lot of work.
I am not sure I want to pull out the microwave, seems like a lot of work, however if I know for 100% sure I might do it one day. Plus did you still have regular tv signal on the bedroom tv? I want the option of over the air and satellite and or park cable. Thanks in advance.
I installed an additional coax plug to outside of MH that the portable satellite antenna plugs into, ran coax cable to cabinet where the receiver box is, used an HDMI splitter so I get Satellite on all 3 TVS. I can watch over the air, cable or Satellite on all 3 TVs. With one satellite receiver box I have to watch same channel on all TVS, but i can watch satellite on one and cable or OTA on the others at the same time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Modd TV hook ups.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	3931  

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:36 AM   #29

State: North Carolina
THOR #3952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happily Retired View Post
Good and bad news!!

First the good! The Pathway X2 works great! Finds the satellites easily and automatically! Tried it out first with the cable through the window. Today we took out the microwave for better access and installed the RF modulator, splitter, and A/B switch. We now have Dish TV coming through the exterior coax connector. Also, the hdmi signal is great and even sd looks good on the main over the door TV.

Now the bad! We have no Dish signal on either the bedroom or exterior TV's. As Larry's did, we were also expecting both tv's to get the same sd channel as the main TV. We did have a spark from the antenna booster amp during installation. It is currently not working. That should not affect any of the tv's though, since it would be off for this application anyway. We have not yet located the fuse for it. Anyone know where it is or even if there is one? One thing we know for sure is that if the booster has to be replaced we will be using a much better one than Thor installed. There was so much sawdust and debris in the empty microwave space and the parts used were very cheap quality!!

We are heartened that the main tv has Dish through the exterior connection. We are also perplexed why the other two tv's are not receiving the sd signal from the RF modulator. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
The fuse on my 30.1 antenna booster was located under the hood in a fuse panel box. Seemed like an odd place for a house fuse to be located.
Old 03-20-2020, 05:15 PM   #30

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Just completed install of DISH with a Hopper 3 at our home.
Now comes the fun of what to use in the Vegas.

The DISH tech suggested using an AMAZON Fire Stick with the DISH Anywhere App inside my Vegas. I have unlimited data with my ATT iPhone, so I can see everything on my Seiki that I can watch at home.

The downside, however, is when we are Boon-Docking in an area with limited or no cell service, I can't get the DISH Anywhere App.

So I'm thinking of ordering the Winegard G3 and roof mounts.
Will mount on the roof, in the center, in front of the living area Maxx Air vent.
Then run the cabling thru the current KING TV access port.

I would need to mount the Winegard G3 on the front cap fiberglass roof.
Anyone see a problem with that?

Since the Winegard G3 weighs just 8#...I'm thinking about mounting the feet on a piece of 12" x 12" x 3/8" white marine star board.
I could then fasten the star board with limited (or no) screws thru the roof if I use Sikaflex (like I did with my Drill-less Solar mounts).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gm-9035.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	22990   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mounts download.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	22991  

Old 03-20-2020, 08:45 PM   #31

THOR #4735
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorbob1 View Post
So I'm thinking of ordering the Winegard G3 and roof mounts...
the mounts that you show in the photo are VERY similar to my own, from the hardware store, although I chose to use 'headless' threaded bolts rather than the bolts supplied in your photo, so that I could 'land' the portable antenna down onto the bolts, with the ability to then also easily remove the antenna, whenever needed, somewhere else on the roof, or even down onto the ground.

As a secure measure, I used a simple plastic type cylinder(called a 'nylon spacer') to hand thread down on the bolt after sitting the antenna down onto the bolt, just to make sure the wind did not have a chance to move the antenna enough to create any issues while driving.

Easy to mount, easy to remove... and it rides at the rear, right behind the air conditioner, using the cover to wind around additional coax cable when moving the antenna is warranted.... most of the time this is also an optimal position for the antenna to sit to see all the satellites as well. I can also reach from the ladder, rather than having to go all the way up on the roof, itself.

(photos not necessarily to size) all found in the 'specialty' section of the screws and bolts section in most any hardware store...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	headless bolt.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	22998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nylon spacer.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	4.2 KB
ID:	22999  

Attached Images

TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:55 AM   #32

THOR #13362
Thanks for the insight
I have followed you before, and know that you store dish on roof then move it to a clear, south-facing area once you’re settled.

We don’t usually stay in one place long enough to do all the setting-up & then re-store.

But I’m still on the fence even though it’s just $7/mo after upfront $450 cost of dish, Wally and DIY install.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:20 AM   #33

THOR #4735
actually, I hardly EVER have to move it, but I can if I wish...
Old 03-21-2020, 09:27 AM   #34

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #9701
Thanks for all your suggestions... we have been using our Dish Tailgater Pro all winter, while traveling. This seems to work well with our VIP211k (we do not have to pay as EXTRA $7 PER MONTH) as this is already covered in our $59.00 monthly bill. Have done the old shove the cable through the slide and hook up to the 722 and run one TV at a time. But would like to rewire this in the Spring with the one outdoor coax hookup.

We currently are leaving Florida today as all beaches are now closed (BUMMER)..be back maybe next year!
Old 04-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #35

THOR #13362
Update: Winegard G3 Install Complete

Just completed a Winegard G3 roof install with HDMI wiring from 1 Wally to all 3 TVs (photos to follow shortly).
As some of you know, Winegard now only requires one coax cable from the G3 dome to the G3 power unit. So the single coax powers the G3 & also sends the signal.

As I previously discussed, I mounted on the roof, & attached to the fiberglass front cap. I attached the G3 mounts to a 15” square piece of 3/8” thick marine starboard (like plastic cutting board material). Then used Sikaflex and a couple of small screws to mount the starboard to roof.

The coax entry point into the RV is in the same hole as the King TV antenna cable entry point.
Then the coax goes to the power unit, then to the Wally.

From the Wally goes a short HDMI cord to an HDMI 3-way splitter. Then from the 3-way splitter to all 3 Vegas TVs.
> one 5’ HDMI cord goes to living area TV
> one 12’ HDMI cord goes behind Microwave, down interior wall, then to the outside TV
> finally, one 25’ HDMI cord goes behind Microwave, thru wall behind Fridge, then thru the rear bed “U” cabinets. That rear HDMI cord connects to the existing HDMI cord inside the cabinet for bedroom TV

So for now, all 3 TVs can still use the roof antenna via coax cable to watch over-the-air, or use the the Winegard G3 for DISH Network via HDMI. And all 3 TVs are still wired to view their own DVD player as well, if desired.

Now, as you may know, the G3 supports 2 Wally’s, but I’m not currently ready to add that second Wally yet. Several on this Forum have reminded me of the limitations of the 2nd “slave” Wally. Must always use the “current” satellite as the primary Wally is using. So there are limitations that make it undesirable for me at this time.

Regarding the Winegard G3...I’m very happy with the speed that a satellite is acquired by the G3. And that only one cable is required for both power and reception. It is shorter in height than all other dome models, a bit wider, but has a larger dish for better reception.
I paid $240 on Amazon as an “open box” unit. Normal retail price is $440.

Now to that “blasted” Wally.
It is the newest technology, but to get set-up is like a slow moving oil tanker. The initial set-up for first time users took several hours due to all the downloads of new data needed. In fact, I finally decided to move into my house and connect to my home roof-dish to speed up the process.
Once that was finally complete, I moved Wally back to the RV.
I paid $49 for the Wally on Amazon.

For you “DISH” users...
Each time I start-up the system in my RV, the Wally generally takes 12-15 minutes to:
a) find the “switch”
b) verify satellites
c) download guides
And if the the switch doesn’t recognize all 3 satellites the first time, then the entire process must be re-started.
So, the Wally is much more challenging than the VIP211k.

That’s my story. I’ll post photos soon.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:19 AM   #36

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #9701
Thank you taylorbob1 for the posts of what worked for your Vegas, and we appreciate your detail on the wiring.

Since we have the Tailgater and Dish-VIP211k ours is a little different. But at some point we do want to install a similar wiring system for the Coax and HDMI wiring ( may use the newer flat cords ). Still debating on where to make our entry for the cable. In our limited experience this past fall and winter, we found being able to move the Tailgater to different locations worked well for different campground sites! Looking forward to your install pictures!
Old 04-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #37

THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichFigs View Post
Thank you taylorbob1 for the posts of what worked for your Vegas, and we appreciate your detail on the wiring.

Since we have the Tailgater and Dish-VIP211k ours is a little different. But at some point we do want to install a similar wiring system for the Coax and HDMI wiring ( may use the newer flat cords ). Still debating on where to make our entry for the cable. In our limited experience this past fall and winter, we found being able to move the Tailgater to different locations worked well for different campground sites! Looking forward to your install pictures!
Agreed.
However, even with quick release mounts, Turner Fam says...
actually, I hardly EVER move it, but can if I wish...
Old 04-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #38

THOR #13362
Winegard G3 + DISH Wally

Photos of final install:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2456BE1E-DAE5-41ED-96E6-A867536ECBA3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	23189   Click image for larger version

Name:	36DF652D-38D4-4CAA-A425-D3EDBB8249E3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	23190  

Name:	010C7D54-077C-462E-82A3-368BC0D53F03.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	23191   Click image for larger version

Name:	4A853701-E20C-4E15-95E2-0CCAA1DDF08A.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	23192  

Old 04-30-2020, 03:16 PM   #39

State: Arkansas
THOR #15482
I think you are heading down the wrong road. “Better Call Dish” They will have a different option too, I think.

I have had the Tailgater and Pathway2x. I have only had to plug the coax from the main port on the satellite to the outside coax plug on the outside, set the tv to hdmi 1 source (that may vary to another hdmi port).

Anytime I have tried to add coax with couplers or splitters, it doesn’t supply signal. Also try to stay around 25 foot length RG6. Bought mine at Walmart.

I bought Pathway 2x because it will pick up the Eastern Arc and Western Arc.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #40

THOR #4735
while I love satellite tv, I've come to realize that it's not a simple 'one size fits all' technology - there are too many variables for a lot of different reasons. Most of us don't even 'watch' tv the same way, or with the same methods - some like it on all the time, some like it only on when one of their 'shows' is on, and some like it on every tv all the time anytime they wish... some of that's not practical, and sometimes it can be accommodated, but it takes a little doing to 'craft' the system the way you want it to work for you.

Some folks like the 'main' tv to be the one in the living room, while some of us others think the bedroom should be the 'main' tv, while others it will be the outside tv - this may not matter at 'home', but it generally does have some impact within an RV, at least with any portable antenna system.

It's also fine to think that factories can somehow read all of our minds, as to how 'everyone' wants satellite tv to be installed/routed/setup, but that's a hard row to hoe since satellite tv requires a RECEIVER at each tv location, at least if you want each and every tv to have their 'own' channel selections. Mirroring a main tv output for satellite viewing might work for some, but many of us want each to have it's own selection, especially when two 'tv watchers' don't always agree on 'what to watch' at any given time. I think that's why most of us 'men' want a 'man cave', of sorts. : )

If a single receiver could provide an output to multiple TVs, each with their own remote, and each able to select their own channels, no matter 'which' satellite they reside on, then all of this would probably be a moot discussion. Since each tv needs that 'processor' to give it the channels, this will always be a 'pain' for many, as you have to craft that design the way it fits you the best - and even then, that plan may change 'down the road', especially if you park under those beautiful spacious and shady oak trees, but still want 'satellite tv' from your portable or fixed antenna mounted PERMANENTLY on your roof!