Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1547
Potential fire hazard on Axis Vegas

Just want to post an update to the resolution of our leaking fuel line and what we discovered on our 2014 24.1 Axis.

On our coach there is about a 4 foot section of pressurized fuel line that is not metal. This is where the chassis was extended and a Thor extension to the metal Ford fuel line. Apparently, a critter chewed into ours, and also into the toad charge line at the same location. Without realizing what had happened, ours became a potential bomb spewing gasoline, which any spark could have ignited. Luckily, we discovered the damage right before we left for a trip to the coast.

We were towed and the part has been replaced with a similar piece as a metal one was not available. However, the bigger concern is that it is extremely dangerous to have a nonmetal fuel line that is obviously attractive to rodents. From a safety point this is unacceptable and should not be allowed.

We plan to further research and look for a metal alternative. Meanwhile, wanted to make you aware that this could also happen to yours at home or any campsite and is a huge safety concern. It is more difficult to spot because when the engine is turned off the line only leaks until it is empty. But when engine is on it is spraying gasoline!!! Ours was just forward of the back axle on the driver's side attached to the frame side rail. Please check yours!!!!!!

Old 10-03-2015, 02:29 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Happy,
Can you take a picture of where the rubber line is. When I go to pick up my Vegas 24.1 I plan to look at the repairs they did to the transmission cable to move it off the exhaust pipes...may as well look at the fuel line while it is up on the lift.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #3

THOR #1547
Hey Doc!
We do have a cell picture taken when it was on the lift. Haven't mastered posting pictures on here yet! If you will pm your email or text I will send it to you.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #1249
Doc, when you get the PM pic, please post on the forum.
Thanx.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #5

State: Tennessee
THOR #2898
For a quick way to protect the polymer fuel line you can cover it with a piece of split cable tubing or a piece of heavy rubber hose that you can split with a utility knife. Once you find a stainless Steel tube that can be exchanged in place of the plastic tube then remove the band aid fix. A piece of pipe insulation may work also just to cover the plastic fuel line up until final fix is in place. I'll check our Vegas to see if we have the same issue. These ideas won't correct the problem but may give the animals something else to chew on if they decide to return.

Angelo and Diane
Old 10-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
As a note, the critters, especially squirrels, like the non metal propane hoses as well. You need to check them periodically if they are exposed to the outside.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:49 PM   #7

Model: Nexus Viper 27V
THOR #2142
Here are Happy's pictures.FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender2.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	871   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender2.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	872  

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happily Retired View Post
...However, the bigger concern is that it is extremely dangerous to have a nonmetal fuel line that is obviously attractive to rodents. From a safety point this is unacceptable and should not be allowed.... !!!!!

Realistically, there are millions upon millions of cars, boats, motorcycles and even planes and trains that do not have metal fuel lines now, and since the beginning of mechanized transportation. It's not inherently unsafe by design.

Having rodents chew through a non-metal fuel line is indeed a safety hazard. You really should inspect your vehicles if you know you have a rodent problem.

You can do what auto racers and plane owners have always done to protect hoses from abrasion and potential sabotage, (rodents in your case), cover them with braided steel. Or you can replace them with solid tubing if it's practical, at your expense.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #9

THOR #1547
Beacher,

As I stated in my original post we are looking for an alternative and really appreciated suggestions that were helpful toward that end, such as you provided in your last paragraph,and Angelo also suggested. Believe me we are on it!!!!

The main purpose for my post was to make other Axis/Vegas owners aware that there is a short non metal fuel line section where they could have a similar problem.

To be honest, I find your suggestion that we should inspect our vehicles if we have a rodent problem to border on offensive, and at the very least not very helpful! Any RV owner at any time could have a similar problem at a campground, in storage, or at home. We have had motor homes for the last 14 years, and they have always been parked at home on our motorhome driveway. In all those years we have never previously had a "rodent problem", inside or outside. However, we do an exhaustive pre trip check, and having smelled raw gasoline, we did not rest until we located the problem, and then were towed for absolute safety.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:18 PM   #10

Brand: DRV
Model: 44' Santa Fe
State: Montana
THOR #2053
For what it's worth, I have a 1982 Ford 250. ALL of the gas lines are rubber. To this day nothing has chewed in it. It is parked in an open field and used for hauling fire wood and trash.
We have lived in the country for over 60 yrs and have had no problems. Maybe country mice are smarter than city mice?
Anyway, You were really offended by that simple statement? Toughen up buttercup!

Bill