Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
2018 ace 29.4

Looking very hard at a new ACE 29.4 from Camping World in Biloxi. I currently have an Alpine 3010RE fifth wheel I'm dragging around with Chevy 3500HD DRW (diesel) and am looking to get a little smaller. Is anybody currently driving one of these. I'm curious if you notice much difference in fuel economy or cruising RPMs with the new 6 speed transmission.

Any other comments or concerns about the 29.4? Common issues, things to look particularly close at during the PDI? Any help or comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

Bud from Biloxi

Old 03-13-2018, 11:31 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
Last year I did the same thing you are planning to do, I am still happy that I did it. There is not much difference between our units, as for fuel mpg a little less than truck 5th wheel. It all depends on driving style and a head wind or not. I had a dully to pull 5th wheel and handling was never a isssue. With MH I find it just alittle bit harder. I have not done the CHF thats talked about here yet, I have not felt the need to yet.

When I did my PDI with CW in Iowa they seemed to want to rush me through. Maybe it was because I owned a rig before I do not know. You are going to want to slow them down get answers for everything, forget you have owned a unit. I know alot of folks are having trouble turning the drivers seat around, you may want them to show you how. I had trouble with the King tv ant. make sure you get good reception on all your tvs

Enjoy.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:57 PM   #3

THOR #10956
Thanks for the reply. Have you found it let's you fit in some places that would be too tight with your previous rig? I was just at Yellowstone and Glacier and several of the National Park campgrounds had 30' limits. Some looked like they would have been tight even at 30'. I could stick the camper about anywhere I needed, but was often restricted by room in front for the very slow turning dually to turn.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:07 AM   #4

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Alaska
THOR #6077
We did the same thing a bit over a year ago, moving from a fiver to an ACE 29.3. We've now spent a lot of time in it and are completely happy. A few things here and there, none major. The just under 30 foot length lets us camp in lots of places the big rigs can't get it. We were just at a Corps campground in Alabama that had a dirt road to get to it and it drove just fine. We're getting just under 10 mph pulling a Jeep Wrangler toad. Heading out tomorrow for another trip!
Old 03-14-2018, 10:29 AM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
EVM, my 5er was 35 so as you know you dont just put it anywhere. With the ACE it makes it 100% easier to just about put anywhere. Good Luck
Old 03-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #6

THOR #10956
Thanks for the replies. I pulled the trigger on the 29.4, scheduled PDI and delivery for Tuesday. I warned them at the finance part that they needed to set aside more time than their normal hour PDI. I told them I wanted to see everything work via all power sources. (Shore, gen, lpg). I already spent (more correctly my wife) spent an hour or so in and around the RV and had a pretty good fit/finish list for them to correct prior to delivery. Thanks again.