Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #61

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3487
Heater Vent

After seeing this posting on the heater vent, I checked on my ACE 29.2. It looks like what Bob posted but the door is horizontal. I bought a aluminum vent & stainless steel screws at Lowes ($3.78), trimmed to size and installed. Should work, huh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160705_152745.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	2395   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160705_153103.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	2396  

Old 07-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #62
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I've never had the louvers in my 2016 Axis 24.1 and the furnace works fine.
No louvers on our 2016 24.1 and furnace worked well.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:29 PM   #63

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Ace View Post
After seeing this posting on the heater vent, I checked on my ACE 29.2. It looks like what Bob posted but the door is horizontal. I bought a aluminum vent & stainless steel screws at Lowes ($3.78), trimmed to size and installed. Should work, huh?
Good job! ... Sure beats taking it into CW or even the effort to get a replacement door panel IMO...
Old 07-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #64

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Bump
Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 PM   #65

Model: ace 30.2
State: New Jersey
THOR #1069
Besides water entering the intake vent I was also getting water entering the exhaust vent from the bracket holding the slide's cover so I took my cover one step further. it's been on for 2 years now. no more problems.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150321_150603_241.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	2419   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150316_111705_543.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	2420  

Old 07-10-2016, 07:48 PM   #66

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
While waiting for Thor to decide if they are going to send me a new cover, I came up with the following $5.00 temporary fix. I bought a magnetic heat register deflector at Home Despot. Cut it down with my Dremel and then used some double sided velcro to attach over the existing vent. Not the prettiest. But it does the job.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1155.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	2429  
Old 08-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #67

THOR #2271
Help Mr Wizard

I received my replacement cover from Thor last night. I was hoping for a simple replacement cover with the louvers pointing out. Nope! I received the new type "no louvers" cover. Unfortunately there are no instructions and a carton that contained a round cylinder and a bunch of insulation tape. Are there installation instructions?

Maybe Doc or someone can take a picture of the installation with the cover off, please.
Old 08-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #68

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
gbrown,
You got tape?
I had to get a different metal exhaust pipe as there was enough of a difference that the new cover would not fit and work with the old exhaust. Also on mine, the new cover has 6 holes and the old one had 4 holes for mounting. They included a 6 hole frame but to use the frame required too much disassembling to use. So I used the new cover with the older frame, used 6 screws and all went well.
Also on the 24.1 the long axis of the cover is vertical, the 25.2 is horizontal so not sure what else is different behind the cover.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #69

THOR #2271
Interesting

I called Thor parts to see if they had instructions or a blow up diagram of how the new door was to be installed. The answer was no.

BUT, they told me that the factory (via Atwood) would cover the installation under warranty and pointed me at the local authorized Thor Repair facility to do the work. They even told me what to tell the guy when I called and marked my records so that when they called, it would be pre-approved.

Way to go Thor Motorcoach!
Old 08-03-2016, 03:06 PM   #70

THOR #2142
gbrown,

Wow, good job...warranty work that was offered to you!

Doc

Old 08-08-2016, 05:31 AM   #71

Model: Sprinter Citation 24ST
State: New Mexico
THOR #2420
Possible Defect in Ace, Axis and Vegas???

My Citation Sprinter has the same furnace access door. I called Thor Customer Service and they led me to believe that Thor would replace the panel but I would have to go through the dealer. La Mesa was very supportive in trying to get the panel but now Thor is saying that since the coach is outside the original 12 month warranty they will not replace it. La Mesa is still trying to get it resolved but I have my doubts. Since it is an obvious manufacturing defect, I feel a reputable company would replace it without question especially since electronic damage has been reported due to water leaking on the components. If asked whether I recommend Thor you can guess my response. If a company isn't willing to support their products and workmanship, it has lost my business.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:45 AM   #72

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary View Post
My Citation Sprinter has the same furnace access door. I called Thor Customer Service and they led me to believe that Thor would replace the panel but I would have to go through the dealer. La Mesa was very supportive in trying to get the panel but now Thor is saying that since the coach is outside the original 12 month warranty they will not replace it. La Mesa is still trying to get it resolved but I have my doubts. Since it is an obvious manufacturing defect, I feel a reputable company would replace it without question especially since electronic damage has been reported due to water leaking on the components. If asked whether I recommend Thor you can guess my response. If a company isn't willing to support their products and workmanship, it has lost my business.
You would certainly think that this error is stupid and dangerous enough that a recall should be issued. If you are PO'ed and feel industrious enough, you should report this to the Federal Highway Administration. A "short" can possibly cause sparking and fire. I would think they would be interested in avoiding that.

In fact, if you tell Thor that you are thinking of filing a report with the DOT, they'll probably give you a new door. If they don't they're not very smart, because at best it's going to cause someone a bunch of paper work.

Ken
Old 08-08-2016, 06:22 AM   #73

Model: Sprinter Citation 24ST
State: New Mexico
THOR #2420
Possible Defect in Ace, Axis and Vegas???

At the recommendation of Ag&Au, the defect has been reported to safercar.gov. It takes about 5 minutes. I recommend everyone with the improper panels to do the same.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #74

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Florida
THOR #4067
Have the same issue it really.does span all models. They are sending me a replacement. Still waiting on wiper arm and spline. The customer service is great but the parts department is slow. In the meantime I am grounded with no wipers.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:23 PM   #75

THOR #4067
Received the new cover. Everyone is correct, there are no vent covers on the new panel. Will take a closer look tomorrow and see if the new.frame is going to be a problem installing. Will post more and try to add pictures.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:56 AM   #76

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #4119
Possible Defect in Ace, Axis and Vegas

I have often said that "warranty begins at discovery". Seems to me that this would be true if the inaccurately manufactured panel was classified as a latent defect. No fault, just wrong.

Machlin
Old 08-22-2016, 01:57 AM   #77

THOR #4067
Sorry for the delay but the new cover is back in the box. Have to wait for an exhaust vent as the new one has 4 screws and my original has two. Arghhhhh.. It is correct about the frame being a pain to remove, but usi g the existing one and prexrilling a pilot hole for the last two should prevent cracking the plastic. Will post again when the job is complete.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:18 AM   #78

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Mine has the same problem. Checked after a heavy rain, and there was about a half inch of water in that compartment. An extra chore now after every rain.

A clear piece of tape fixed it for now. Since it looks like air can enter around the exhaust vent, and the new ones are solid, is there any reason those funneling vents can't just be sealed up?
Old 08-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #79

THOR #2142
djnash,

Yep the new chromed metal exhaust has 4 screws instead of two.

I too used the old frame with the four holes in it. To prevent cracking I cut four small plastic "inserts" glued them in place (marked the old frame using the new cover as a guide for the two new center holes) with one being sandwiched between the old frame and the new cover and a second one on the backside of what the old frame was screwed into. I drilled a pilot hole thru all of them once the glue dried. This allowed support to the new cover so it would not bend and gave the screw something to "bite into" and hold all in place.

Good Luck.

Doc

Old 11-17-2016, 07:13 PM   #80

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Doc, Any possibility that you could post a photo of your fix? I received the new frame, cover and vent and quickly found that I cannot seem to get the old frame out. Has anyone managed to get the old frame out? Or even to figure out what is holding it in place?