Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2016, 07:58 PM   #81

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Pstandiford,

I attempted to remove the old frame and chickened out.

Here is the picture of my new cover using the old frame. I just used some small pieces of plastic behind the center holes on the sides to act as spacers so the cover would not be over tightened. If needed, I'll take the cover off and snap some pictures tomorrow.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1479411519
Doc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My replacement.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	3382  

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:28 PM   #82

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
The problem I'm having is visualizing where you put the pieces of plastic. Mine might be a bit different since mine is horizontal. I cannot figure out what is holding the frame in.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #83

THOR #2142
Pstandiford,

I could not figure if the old frame was glued in or if they built the rest of the RV wall around the durn thing.

On mine, when I drilled holes into the old frame I used the new cover to place the holes in the old frame, but there was no support where the hole went thru the old frame. So I cut a small piece of plastic to fit behind the old frame, another one for the space between the cover and old frame then I put a small pilot hole in center of both of them. Then using a tooth pick (coated with vaseline) to line them up and sandwiched the old frame between the two pieces of plastic and hot glued them in place. Once the glue dried I redrilled the hole one size smaller than the screws provided with the new cover. Then I attached the new cover with the screws provided.

Doc

Old 11-17-2016, 09:12 PM   #84

THOR #2020
Thanks Doc, That makes sense now.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:08 PM   #85

THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMike View Post
Pstandiford,

I attempted to remove the old frame and chickened out.
I have been studying this for a while. This weekend my wife and I finally replaced ours. There are a total of 8 tabs holding in the frame. To remove the frame we had to first remove the screws that hold the furnace housing to the frame. Then, on the inside of the coach, we removed the grill and found 2 small angle brackets holding up the furnaces. We removed those and were able to slide the furnace back to reveal the tabs. After removing the screws we were able to put the new frame in. Once the frame was in we slid the furnace back in place, replaced the screws that hold the furnace housing to the frame and then put the cover back on. Turns out it really wasn't as bad as it looked. But, the furnace does have to be slid out of the frame to reveal the screws through the tabs. I will we had taken some pictures but wanted to get it done while the weather was good. We don't often have 72 degree days on January 21 in Saint Louis.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 PM   #86
mrw

Model: A.C.E. 29.3
State: West Virginia
THOR #4502
We have a 2016 ACE which had louvers stamped upside down. Notified my dealer which in turn they notified Thor. Week later dealer called me with my new door. Simple to change
Old 02-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #87

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Oklahoma
THOR #6418
We picked up our new to us 2015 Windsport 27K yesterday. The dealer told us Thor had just issued a RECALL on these doors . New door/cover, new board and other parts. They had a board and are waiting for the rest of the parts and will call use when they are in.

Frank
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #88

Model: Four Winds 22B
State: Florida
THOR #5326
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMor View Post
We picked up our new to us 2015 Windsport 27K yesterday. The dealer told us Thor had just issued a RECALL on these doors . New door/cover, new board and other parts. They had a board and are waiting for the rest of the parts and will call use when they are in.

Frank
Awesome I have the same MH talked to Thor Wednesday with issue they said call Atwood as they make the furnace, rep from Atwood says there is no issue and cant help me LOL

Four Winds 22B
Sunseeker 2800QSF GTS (Loss to hurricane Ian)
Windsport 27K
dcbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:38 AM   #89

THOR #6418
I had to explain what the problem was with the door to the dealer. they just new that the recall came up when they checked the MH.

Frank
Old 02-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #90

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
Just recently discovered the same problem with our 2015 ACE 30.1. Now that the weather here in Illinois is turning to spring I will go out and check into this. When I first heard about this it was too cold to do much of anything outside. I do remember using the MH back in October and when turning on the furnace after a rainy day it took a while to stay on. The fan would come on for several seconds then you could hear it fire but that would only last a few seconds. After a few more seconds it would fire again then go back out. After a couple minutes of this it started working fine. Does this sound familiar to anyone else with the reversed louvers?
FrankMor; do you have any kind of recall number or something I could reference when I call Thor? Thanks to all, Jim.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #91

THOR #6418
I do not have a number for the recall. We took delivery on Thursday, the dealer had called Tuesday and changed the pickup time from 11 am to 3 pm because they were waiting for parts to arrive. When we got there for pickup, the parts had not come in. They replaced the board from stock they had and told us when the new panel and a fuse board came in the would call us. I had to show dealer what the problem was. Still waiting on parts.

Frank
Old 02-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #92

THOR #6516
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
as you can see from the photo I posted...we do not have louvres either..
should we have them ?
I have (2) access panels for access to refrigerator, with louvers projecting to inside surface of unit that are slanted upwards and to inside, thus water drains back to the outside of unit. I have another louver on hot water heater, lt's louvers project to outside and slant down. I haven't experienced problems with either of them. It's important that the louvers slant down and to outside of coach.
Later, Jim
Old 02-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #93
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
I just picked my coach up from the dealer after getting an annual service and state safety inspection. When I dropped the coach off at the dealer I asked them to check on that heater cover. They were informed by Thor that there is no recall and no replacement door will be provided.

Although my furnace access panel is the same I have not had a problem with rain or snow entry.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:40 AM   #94

Model: A. C. E. 30.1
State: Indiana
THOR #1488
Went out today and checked the louver situation and think there is some good news. The circuit board does not sit flat on the bottom of the compartment, it is about 1/2 inch above on a little shelf. Also the louvers are not near the circuit board but above the exhaust tube. There is a divider between this part of the compartment and where the circuit board sits.
But all is not good, when I turned on the furnace it would fire and then shut off for several cycles. The fan would run and then it would fire for 5 to 20 seconds then shut off for 15 seconds before firing again. It did this for about 2 minutes then it fired up and ran fine. Puzzling and doesn't seem right. Jim.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #95

THOR #2142
New Problem with the Heater.
We were in the mountains two weeks ago and I notice the heat output from the heater was minimal. So I got the electric heater out and went back to sleep.
The next morning I fired up the gas heater and when I went outside there was a horrible sour/acidic eye watering smell coming out of the metal exhaust from the heater!!
I had to replace the cover last year as water was getting into the heater...anyone with any idea what is going on now?
I am heading to the shop a week from Friday to get it fixed.

Doc

Old 02-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #96

THOR #1249
Never heard of that Doc. Just a couple of guesses; condensate in firing chamber or bad load of propane. Check your stove burners to see if they give off a bad smell, work ok and flame color. Also, did the furnace run OK!?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:20 PM   #97

THOR #2142
It all seemed to run fine, lots of air flow thru the duct work...just no heat and a nasty smell outside.

Burners did well as we cooked on the stove that morning.

I have an appointment on the 3rd.

Doc

Old 02-27-2017, 05:15 PM   #98

Model: ACE
State: California
THOR #4322
I don't have louvers just the exhaust hole. But gives me idea that I will take it in and ask they take cover off and make sure the cover gasket is good. Thanks.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:20 PM   #99

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Attachment 2248
This is a photo of the side of our 2016 Axis
Mine looks like this too.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #100

THOR #1249
This is what mine looks like. Note that the louvers are formed to scoop the rain.

I removed the tape I usually keep on there for pic to send Thor and see if I can get a replacement.
Makes for conversation when I'm parked. Not a good ad for Thor though.

Name:  IMG_20170211_1130581a.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  36.3 KB