Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-20-2016, 06:18 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmi View Post
As Usual with a lot of these things it all depends on who answers the phone. I probably got the "by the book" guy. "No recall no replacement". I will call again.
Please keep us posted on your results...

Old 06-21-2016, 08:53 PM   #42

THOR #4032
Bump
Old 06-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #43

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Florida
THOR #2954
I have not had a chance to follow up yet. BTW Bob I did post some pictures, based on your request, on the other thread about the whistle.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:12 AM   #44

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #4119
Possible Defect in Ace, Axis and Vegas ???

Our heater door is just like DocMike's Axis; i.e., vents inward. We sent a picture to Thor, at the link provided by DocMike, and received a response from Thor Warranty. The response from Warranty was, "If they are indeed inward facing the door should be replaced."

We asked for a replacement door to match color and decals. But it will probably come back with primer only. Maybe it will come painted with the decals separate. We can only hope. It is easy to install to be sure.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #45

THOR #2954
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksmi View Post
I have not had a chance to follow up yet. BTW Bob I did post some pictures, based on your request, on the other thread about the whistle.
UPDATE: Talked to Thor again and they will have a Tech contact me. At least I am past "there is no recall, sorry".
Old 06-22-2016, 08:06 PM   #46

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
What I was told was that I had the old door design and they would send me the new one once my Dealer called it in. I noticed the word "recall" was not in the email messages or the phone calls with the Dealership.

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:50 PM   #47

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #4119
Possible Defect in Ace, Axis and Vegas ???

We heard from Thor today:

"Good morning. This would be something your local TMC dealership can assist you with. The door does not come finished as the lines would not match the body of your coach. There is also a new exhaust required for the furnace with this new door."

Thank you,

Brandon Tom
Customer Service
Thor Motor Coach
Old 06-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #48

THOR #2954
Just got the new door today. Same color as the RV. There is a little bit of decal for a white "swoop" on the corner of the old door. I may not worry about that. Looks like a piece of cake to replace so I have something to do this weekend.
Old 06-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #49

THOR #2142
Jacksmi,

I pick up my replacement panel tomorrow. One of the earlier postings (#47 above) says something about a new exhaust on the panel? Does it look different to you?

Doc

Old 06-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #50

THOR #2954
It's been raining so I did not get to do much more than a quick visual comparison. What I see so far is:

1) Looks like the old exhaust cover will transfer to the new panel. There was no new exhaust cover with my panel. Just the door and frame.
2) The screw pattern is different on the new door (6 screws instead of 4)
3) The door includes the door frame so will likely have to replace the frame because of the new screw pattern
4) Color matches
5) As my earlier post stated, a small bit of decal may be lost. I will play around with transferring the decal or at creating a substitute.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #51

THOR #1249
Just checked the cover on mine and contacted Thor. Louvers are molded wrong way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4455a.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	2366

Yes, that is tape covering louvers and exhaust. To many critters are looking for a home around here.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:07 PM   #52

Model: Siesta 24SR
State: Arizona
THOR #1894
I have owned a 2015 Siesta for over a year now, and last month was the first time rain has entered the furnace area. The circuit board was completely soaked. We noticed it because we needed some heat the morning after the storm and all we heard were clicks coming from some relay on the board. Took off the cover removed the board, dried it off and luckily it still works.

Called Thor and they said to have the local dealer order a new cover and decal. Been waiting for 3 weeks now for it to come in. Chuck was the rep I had and he was very courteous and helpful,blamed it on the vendor who supplies the covers..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1030266.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	2367   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020408.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	2368  

Name:	P1020407.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	2369  
Old 06-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #53

THOR #2954
Addendum to point #1 in my previous post. The rain stopped so I made a closers inspection of the vent cover. Hole pattern is different so I may also need to have thor send a vent cover. You would think they would know better.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:20 PM   #54

THOR #2142
Okay,

I got the replacement cover for the heater. There are three main changes:
1. No Louver openings.
2. Mounts with 6 screws (not 4 like the old).
3. Metal exhaust mounts with 4 screws (not 2 like the old)

So when you get it you will need to be sure you get the cover, the frame the cover mounts into and a new metal exhaust.

After much effort, I opt'ed to quit trying to get the old frame out (appears one must almost have to remove the heater to replace the frame). So, I did a bit of McGivering and cut a plastic support for the two new mounting screws so I would not over tighten the screws and flex the cover. Then I glued two more plastic pieces on the back (side towards the inside of the RV) of the old flange so the screws would have something to "bite" into.

I also saw a new 2017 Vegas 25.4 on the lot and took a picture of it's heater cover (first attachment below). The picture next to it is my new cover. The lower picture is my old cover.

New 2017.jpg My old.jpg My New Panel.jpg

Now all I need to do is get a small bottle of touch up paint for the screw heads as the new ones are silver (I used four of my old ones). Has anyone found a place at Thor to get a small bottle of touch-up? My last couple of new cars had a bottle about the size of a fingernail polish bottle with touch up paint????

Good Luck

Doc
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	New 2017.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	2373   Click image for larger version

Name:	My New Panel.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	2375  

Attached Images

Old 07-02-2016, 12:11 AM   #55

THOR #1249
Doc, I know it is summer now, but have you tried your furnace with the new cover in place to make sure it works ok? I was wondering where the combustion air intake is if the louvers are eliminated.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:39 AM   #56

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I've never had the louvers in my 2016 Axis 24.1 and the furnace works fine.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:55 AM   #57

THOR #2142
MCR,

Yes, I ran it for about 5 or 6 minutes and all worked well.

As I was doing the install the DW was cleaning up from the last trip out and we had the AC going. You could feel the cold air coming out from around the heater. With the cover off you can see there is quite a bit of "open architecture" to the inside of the RV. Really stresses the need to cover the louvers to prevent "flying/biting critters" from getting in. I would strongly recommend that it is worth the time and effort to remove the 4 or 6 screws and just look in there.

Doc

Old 07-02-2016, 01:18 PM   #58

THOR #1249
Since furnace is pulling air from around the mounting area, it is a good reason to make sure there is none of the infamous Thor wood chips laying around in there waiting to be sucked into the blower. Just had mine repaired for that problem a few months ago. Never did figure out how the chips got into the blower.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:41 PM   #59
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Ok; finally got to the RV so I could take a decent picture: Ours even has the addition of the word "HOT" on it LOL

We haven't really had any issues with our heater not running in the rain (or snow! ).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:50 PM   #60

THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Ok; finally got to the RV so I could take a decent picture: Ours even has the addition of the word "HOT" on it LOL

We haven't really had any issues with our heater not running in the rain (or snow! ).
Your cover is not the defective one...