Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2020, 07:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 32N
State: Missouri
THOR #5930
Possible Upgrade to Diesel Unit - Thor Yes or No?

We currently have a 2016 Thor Windsport 32N. However we are considering moving into a Class A Diesel unit. Our experience with the Thor product thus far has been less than enjoyable, to say the least. I have sworn up and down I would NEVER buy another Thor product, but to be fair, I wanted to see if their diesel units were any better.

My question is, are all of the Thor products manufactured the same? Is the quality of the Thor Diesel units any better than that of the Thor Class A Gas units? I understand they will not be a Newmar Essex or Dutch Star, however are they any better built than their gas units or are they all the same.

Thank you for your time.

Old 06-30-2020, 08:39 PM   #2

THOR #6903
Check out a Tuscany, they are pretty well put together as are the Venetians

some very good buys that are going fast as well

Quality is right in there with the other 250,000 to 500,000 coaches
Old 06-30-2020, 08:42 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: their "Top-Shelf" rigs are much better.

But I'd still look at Tiffin also...
Old 06-30-2020, 08:45 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
from my experience, all the Class A large motorhomes and Class A DIESEL motorhomes are built in the very same factory in Wakarusa, side by side with each other, and all by the same people down the same exact line everyday.

I don't imagine there's any 'manufacturing' difference, only the difference in parts and quality of products they use in the course of the different models, such as roll laminate versus real tile floor, or the size/type of inverter, etc., but doubtful that there's any 'real' difference in 'how' they are built, since they are built by the very same employees every day, no matter 'which' model they happen to be working on at the moment.

Quality work is quality work, no matter 'which' Class A or model they are working on at any given time. I don't think your experiences are going to change dramatically, unless you have a coach that was built 10 or 15 years ago, since many of those employees, and quality assurance, may have changed, for good, or for bad, you never know.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:02 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missile3b View Post
We currently have a 2016 Thor Windsport 32N. However we are considering moving into a Class A Diesel unit. Our experience with the Thor product thus far has been less than enjoyable, to say the least. I have sworn up and down I would NEVER buy another Thor product, but to be fair, I wanted to see if their diesel units were any better.

My question is, are all of the Thor products manufactured the same? Is the quality of the Thor Diesel units any better than that of the Thor Class A Gas units? I understand they will not be a Newmar Essex or Dutch Star, however are they any better built than their gas units or are they all the same.

Thank you for your time.
Your Windsport was manufactured in Thor MC Plant 750 in Elkhart; where the Tuscany is made in Plant 850 in Wakarusa. Different manufacturing techniques, people, engineers involved in the manufacturing. Plant 750 has a production line and turns out 8 to 14 coaches a day. Plant 850 builds the entire coach in one place and they produce 5-11 coaches per week. Entegra Luxury Coach builds 10 coaches a week on a production line in Middlebury.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:03 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Take a look at the Omni / Magnitude Super C......

A big step up over the E350/E450 Class C's in every way. Close to Class A amenities for those who like having a front end in front of them....
Old 06-30-2020, 11:39 PM   #7

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I agree: their "Top-Shelf" rigs are much better.

But I'd still look at Tiffin also...

And Newmar.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:04 AM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
If I was shopping for a DP today, I would consider a Tiffin or Newmar, even if I had to look at a rig with a few miles and some age vs. the newer Thor at the same price.

IMHO, the is a huge difference in the build quality between those two brands and the rest. Corner some RV service managers and ask them.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:16 AM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
And Newmar.
You ain't lyin'!
Heck... Let's go big, and give Foretravel a call also!
Old 07-01-2020, 10:59 AM   #10

THOR #6903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
If I was shopping for a DP today, I would consider a Tiffin or Newmar, even if I had to look at a rig with a few miles and some age vs. the newer Thor at the same price.

IMHO, the is a huge difference in the build quality between those two brands and the rest. Corner some RV service managers and ask them.
And you have taken a very close look at comparable price point

That only leaves a Tuscany DP

So what vintages and models are you referring to?

Let's hear what you found
Old 07-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Let's hear how much money you want to spend...
Tiffin's DP rigs start in in 250K range, and climb up to about 655K
But that's full retail; so those aren't the buying prices.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #12

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Your Windsport was manufactured in Thor MC Plant 750 in Elkhart; where the Tuscany is made in Plant 850 in Wakarusa. Different manufacturing techniques, people, engineers involved in the manufacturing. Plant 750 has a production line and turns out 8 to 14 coaches a day. Plant 850 builds the entire coach in one place and they produce 5-11 coaches per week. Entegra Luxury Coach builds 10 coaches a week on a production line in Middlebury.

Where is the Palazzo made?
Old 07-02-2020, 12:21 PM   #13
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
from my experience, all the Class A large motorhomes and Class A DIESEL motorhomes are built in the very same factory in Wakarusa, side by side with each other, and all by the same people down the same exact line everyday.

I don't imagine there's any 'manufacturing' difference, only the difference in parts and quality of products they use in the course of the different models, such as roll laminate versus real tile floor, or the size/type of inverter, etc., but doubtful that there's any 'real' difference in 'how' they are built, since they are built by the very same employees every day, no matter 'which' model they happen to be working on at the moment.

Quality work is quality work, no matter 'which' Class A or model they are working on at any given time. I don't think your experiences are going to change dramatically, unless you have a coach that was built 10 or 15 years ago, since many of those employees, and quality assurance, may have changed, for good, or for bad, you never know.
From my discussions with Thor not all Class A are built in the same plant. The Challengers are built in the plant that builds the Diesel Pushers. At least, according to Thor, that is where our 2015 Challenger was built and that may be why there seemed to be. a major quality difference between the Challengers and other class a unit at the time. Now, things could have changed in 6 years.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:31 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:

Thank you for your time.
When we were looking we looked at a number of diesel pushers from Thor, Newmar, Tiffin and Coachmen. After many months of comparing units and calculating cost to value for us we went the Super C route. One of the biggest issues to us was with many of the Class A diesel pushers all. of the luxury features were not only overpriced but they were not usable if the slides were retracted. In our current Super C we can use everything with the slides extended or retracted. An added benefit is I don't pay the motorhome uncharge for labor at most Freightliner dealers since they don't have to access things form restricted areas or inside the motorhome. Just open the hood and work away. That saves 20.00 per hour on routine services at the local truck shop. Talk to you local chassis shop before making a decision and ask about routine maintenance cost.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-02-2020, 03:24 PM   #15

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
Where is the Palazzo made?
Thor MC Plant 850 (the old Monaco plant) builds all Thor MCs 4 lines of RED coaches, and the Outlaw (including the class C Outlaw), Challenger and Miramar lines of gasoline coaches.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:39 PM   #16

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Thor MC Plant 850 (the old Monaco plant) builds all Thor MCs 4 lines of RED coaches, and the Outlaw (including the class C Outlaw), Challenger and Miramar lines of gasoline coaches.

The Palazzo is a diesel pusher, but I haven't seen it mentioned here. I believe it is the least expensive line of DPs from Thor. I have a Chateau class C, but have considered upgrading to a Palazzo with a similar floor plan.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:47 PM   #17

THOR #2228
Quote:

Thank you for your time.
Got rid of class A and got Super C SK35 with ford power stroke. No more looking for Freightliner dealers for parts and service. Ford Motor sends me coupons for $99.00 oil changes and the like. Power in the mountains is incredible. Never have a pusher again.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:51 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
The Palazzo is a diesel pusher, but I haven't seen it mentioned here. I believe it is the least expensive line of DPs from Thor. I have a Chateau class C, but have considered upgrading to a Palazzo with a similar floor plan.
The problem I had when looking is the Thor Palazzo, Winnebago Forza, the Forest River Legacy and a couple others have no towing capacity to speak of for a diesel pusher. The issue is the chassis and power train using an Allison 2500 trans which also limits the coach to the 340HP cummins engine.

I had posted a question about this on the forum earlier this year because I couldn't believe what I was seeing for towing capacity. With a Pallazzo I wouldn't be able to tow the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk with V8 engine.

Don't automatically assume a Diesel Pusher can tow most anything because a bunch of them can't due to the chassis, engine and trans combination.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-02-2020, 04:50 PM   #19

THOR #6411
Quote:
All Thor MC REDs are built in plant 850. The current models of REDs (rear engine diesel) are Tuscany, Venetian, Aria and Palazzo. Thor Motor Coach also manufactures 5 different models of FEDs (front engine diesel) in other plants. The Jayco FEDs and Entegra FEDs are manufactured in the Jayco plant in Middlebury and the RED Entrgras are made in a plant just south of Middlebury. All are Thor Industries coaches.
Old 07-05-2020, 08:05 PM   #20

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
We had a 33 ft Fleetwood gas class A and last fall went looking for a Newmar Ventana. At the dealer and parked next to the DP was a little 30 ft Bay Star Sport (Newmar’s entry level gas coach). Long story short we bought the little BSS. It was so much quieter and nicer than the Fleetwood and literally half the cost of the Ventana that we couldn’t resist. It’s pretty basic and we actually are happy to be off the “bigger/better” treadmill. But that’s just us!